dog walking/sitting

edited July 2012 in About this site
Does anyone know a local dog walker/sitter?

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • There's a guy called Dave, who works locally and is great with my dogs and well known in the area.  He does a long walk in the morning and a shorter one in the afternoon, both £10.   I'm still looking for a dog sitter.   I can message you Dave's number if you like. 
  • Thanks Dorothy that would be great. Misscara, we have a cocker puppy that we would like someone to play with a few hours a day whilst my sister is in hospital
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Thank you so much misscara. That is a very kind offer. He's a bit too young at the moment for long walks but maybe in a while?!
  • And thank you too dorothy; hope your two doggies are still bonkers! By the way (I know there's another thread about this but will ask anyway) any recommendations about local vets? We're close to Zasman vet on tollington park and will go there (Unless we hear any horror stories)
  • @tuckage we use a local dog walker (Manor Park) who collects our dog for walks at lunchtime. She can also have the dog during the day at her home. I can send you her details but her walks may be a bit long for a puppy. We use Dragon Vets and find them very good.
  • Our cats are with Zasman's and they've been fine
  • Another vote for Dragon vets.
  • @Ilovegreyhounds I'd be very interested in the details of the local dog walker/sitter lady.   <div><br></div><div>I use Dragons.  They're good but I wonder if they are pricey.   I noticed Zasman's do Lilly's KItchen dog food cheaper than other places.</div>
  • @dorothy, I have sent you a PM.  <div>I buy all dog food online, I find its cheaper and it gets delivered to the door. </div>
  • We use Abbey Vet for our cats, but I met Anna, one of the Zasman vets, yesterday evening and she seems v. nice. 
  • thanks to all; We're off to see Anna at Zasman today..
  • Medicanimal.com is the cheapest place I have found for cat fud and stuff, by far. If anyone would like a referral we can both get a hefty discount on next orders. PMs to the usual place.
  • Bit late joining this discussion, but just wanted to hear people's thoughts on using dog walkers? <div><br></div><div>I've just moved to Stroud Green after living in the Midlands. Had to leave my lovely greyhound with my ex, who works from home and looks after her during the day. I'm working full time here and (like most people) renting, so I can't see a way to have my dog here. Wouldn't want her to be unhappy and left alone all day - is paid dog-walking the answer?? I just don't know. Don't want to be a bad dog-parent, but I miss my hound!</div><div><br></div><div>Do people who use dog-walkers work full time or is it just the occasional day here and there? London doesn't seem very dog-friendly to me, do you find that too?</div>
  • We have a greyhound and use a dog walker on the days we are at work. I have sent you a message.
  • I'm not a dog owner but I see a lot of dogs out and about, especially on Parkland Walk. Both my neighbours have dogs, one Labrador, one Whippet. As well as the usual suspects, there is also an Akita Inu and an elderly jowly Bulldog. I reckon there are at least fifteen dogs in my road. Our bit of London always seems very dog friendly. We let them in our shop too.
  • Are you sure you rental agreement allows pets ?
  • Friends of mine have a dog and they have a dog walker come in every day in the week. They're in Ealing, so no good for a recommendation. But they definitely think it's worth it. I think so long as you get someone you trust it's fine.<br>
  • edited November 2012
    <div><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: Arial; ">There are quite a few dog walkers, working around at area.  I'm about to check out a dog day care service off green lanes, where they'll keep your dog till quite late at night and all night if necessary.   I've used a few dog walkers.   If you're dog is extra obedient, it helps a lot and makes it easier for the walker or sitter, especially in London.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">   </span>It also means you can take you dog out to pubs and cafes, and they won’t freak out, if you want them to do something like follow you up a spiral staircase while carrying a round of drinks.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">   </span>Something I had trouble with recently.</span></div><div> <p class="MsoNormal" style="mso-pagination:none;mso-layout-grid-align:none; text-autospace:none"><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: Arial; ">My two dogs are not obedient at all, despite going to training.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">   </span>They won't do things like fetch a ball, instead they're really focused on hunting squirrels and rats.   Lots of dogs do it, but mine are very serious about it.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </span>They work in a pair, doing long really fast, triangulated sprints, then leaping up the tree to swipe the squirrel off.   If a tree is at an angle they'll run up it, then get stuck.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">   </span>They also find their way under fences in the park and through railings, to the railway, onto the bowling green, to the new river, on one occasion jumping in to chase a rat, then digging it out of its burrow on the other side.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">   </span>Anyway the result that is now they just have to be walked on a lead, and they aren’t the dog walker’s favourites.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">   </span>I think Greyhounds have a similar prey instinct, and the park is just full of little furry things which set them off.  <span style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </span>Recently I’ve taken to walking my dogs quite late at night in the park when there are no squirrels and I can let them run off the lead for a while and I don’t look like I’m ‘hunting with dogs’.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </span>Last night I lost sight of my female dog Bella.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </span>(she’s got bike lights attached).<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </span>My other dog found her through the fence by the railway track, stuck down a narrow drain, seven foot down.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </span>I had to call the fire service, and five guys finally got her out with a rope lasso.</span></p> <p class="MsoNormal"><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: Arial; ">I think if you can get into a routine with dog walkers, sitters, working from home etc, it can be ok, although expensive.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">   </span>It’s around £10 for a walk.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">   </span>£20 to £30 for someone to look after them all day.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">    </span>There are lots of<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </span>lovely walks to do in summer in north London and you getting chatting to loads of people and all your neighbours, which is unusual in London.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">    </span>Even the park is beautiful at night and not scary when you have barky dogs with you.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">   </span>It’s just unfortunate that dogs just want to be with you all the time, so it’s their lot and probably some cats as well, to spend some of their lives waiting for their owners to return.</span></p> <p class="MsoNormal"><!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]--><o:p></o:p></p> <!--EndFragment--></div>
  • edited December 2012
    Ilovegreyhounds thank you for your message- so reassuring to hear that it can be done. Yes, I think some people will be probably judge me for considering leaving a dog at home during the day and using a dog walker. But as you say, greyhounds do love to sleep - mine is no exception - she's pretty happy snoozing away most of the day. <div><br></div><div>The dog-walker option does seem a tad expensive, but then I don't have children - surely a child costs more!?</div><div><br></div><div>Nice to hear people saying there are dog-friendly parts of London. I went for a walk in Richmond park today - so many dogs! I felt so sad not to have my hound trotting along side me....</div><div><br></div><div>Dorothy - can't believe you had to call the fire brigade, poor Bella - and poor you, you must have been so worried! They really test your patience don't they?! My Molly escaped through the back fence of the garden of my old house and came back with the neighbour's pet duck in her mouth. Bad Molly! I was so mortified to knock on their door to explain my 'gentle' dog has eaten their duck.</div><div><br></div><div>You're right about the greyhound prey instinct. She is a bit of a bugger off the lead, she just chases squirrels and birds, she's wont come back when you call her. I end up looking like a fool running after her - which is futile given that she's so fast! I tend to walk her on the lead, unless it's an enclosed park where I can see her, hen she can have a run. Hope that wouldn't put a dog walker off too much.</div><div><br></div><div>Thanks for your advice everyone. I'm still not sure exactly what to do - and yes, the renting issue is another thing to think about. Currently in process of looking to buy, but I may have to sell a kidney to get on the property ladder!!</div>
  • When you check out dog walking services, check that they have the necessary public liability insurance - lots of people set up as dog walkers as an easy way to make extra money and don't run it as a proper business so you want to make sure they are insured for public liability in case either something happens to your dog, or your dog causes a road accident, bites someone, gets in a fight etc.