Found: black and white cat

[a friend has asked me to post this as she's having trouble setting up an account]<div><br></div><div>"Found yesterday on Mount View Road, a young black and white male cat who looks well cared-for and is quite sociable, but who was very hungry on arrival.  If he's yours or you have info that could lead us to finding his owner, please call 07730 005 194"</div><div><br></div><div>All help gratefully received. </div>

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Aw, big fat ginger Quernmore cat is lovely.<div><br></div><div>I'm on MV too - it can be hard to tell which cats are lost and which just fancy a new home.  Will suggest Albany Rd to friend - she's got our cat basket, so can hawk him door-to-door if necessary.</div>
  • Will ask my MVR neighbours. They were playing with a young b&w yesterday, so maybe they have a new addition. The ginger of Quernmore is ace, but I agree it seems a tad dim. Once saw it fall off a bin onto its arse, disproving the standard four feet theory.
  • Ginger cats are generally a bit dim.
  • I've always wondered how you know whether a cat is lost or not. My cat goes exploring a lot and I wouldn't want someone (with good intentions) thinking he was lost and taking him in. I saw a young black and white cat on Upper Tollington this morning who didn't really look like he knew where he was going but - unless it is obviously hungry/mangy/un-cared for - how do you tell? <div><br></div><div>@barebackreader, if your friend really does think that cat is lost, has she taken it to the vet? They will scan it for a microchip. </div>
  • @emine - yes, she has taken him to the vet for a microchip scan.  And just to clarify - the cat isn't shut up in her house or anything, just loitering with intent while she makes every effort to find its owner.  <div><br></div><div>The lostness of any cat is always a matter of conjecture. Two of my cats are dedicated homebodies but the third is a bit wandery and feral.  He'll be 'lost' and 'found' many times over, and such is the nature of cat ownership. </div>
  • "<span style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 18px; text-align: left; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); ">The lostness of any cat is always a matter of conjecture" is a lovely Wodehousian/Douglas Adams sentence.</span>
  • Reminded me of this: <font class="sqq">“What song the Sirens sang, or what name Achilles assumed when he hid himself among women, though puzzling questions, are not beyond all conjecture.”</font>
  • There is a lost black and white cat poster on Western Park.<br>
  • Browne, Urn Burial. What would you conjecture, for sirens or for Achilles?
  • Achilles might have called himself Thetis (seems the type to have a mummy fixation, don't you think?). I'm stuck on the song. <br>
  • Nice. Or possibly Amaryllis, handy pseudonym and keeps initials, which all detective novelists swear by.<div><br></div><div>In the same period:</div><div><br></div><div>Go and catch a falling star </div><div>Get with child a mandrake root</div><div>Tell me where all past years are</div><div>Or who cleft the devil's foot</div><div>Teach me to hear mermaids singing</div><div>Or to keep off envy's stinging ...</div><div><br></div><div>Evidently a 17th-century preoccupation.</div><div><br></div><div>The Great Silkie? A bit northern. Soave sia le vente? A bit too benign ...</div><div><br></div><div>sorry, this is all a bit arcane!</div>
  • <p>I can just hear Marc Bolan singing that.</p>
  • Always wanted to get two cats and call them Jeremy Bentham and John Rawls. Other half blocked me
  • edited August 2012
    Bentham's cat was called 'The Reverend Dr John Langhorn'. We assume antipathy on Betham's part, rather than friendship, was the reason.
  • I like the word 'friendhip' - presumably a willingness to be seen with someone only as long as everybody else thinks they're cool?
  • Why would you name your cat after someone you disliked?
  • A woman I know named her child after her ex's cat.  It's a daft name for a cat and a tragic, life-scarring name for a boy.<div><br></div><div>I don't know why people do what they do. </div>
  • edited August 2012
    @barebackreader and @emine, if the cat you are talking about is on Upper Tollington Park by Florence Road, I guess it is looking for a new owner. It seems to me that one of the neighbours has completely abandoned it. We and some other neighbours are feeding it but it is horrible to see it out there 24/7.<br>
  • edited August 2012
    Ah, by the way, the cat spends hours by the street looking at passers by and trying to stop them for affection. It is very, very sweet!<br>
  • I'd like a cat, do you think it really has been abandoned?
  • I am 99% sure the cat has been abandoned. It has been homeless for ages, I would say two months, and completely neglected by its owners. It has been hiding and sleeping under the hedges throughout all weathers. We talked to two other neighbours who have also been feeding her. Miss Annie, if you would like to give the cat a home, I am sure she needs the love.
  • miss a, you could always stick a sign on a tree saying you've taken the cat as it seemed to be abandoned but if anyone knows the owner/is the owner they should get in touch. If you're happy putting a phone number or email address out there that is.<br>
  • Yes, the cat I saw was on Upper Tollington between Florence and Victoria. I would love @missannie to have it. If it is being neglected the "owners" have forfeited their rights to it as far as I'm concerned. I can go out right now with a cat basket and mount a rescue attempt!
  • <p>Had a talk with Annie at lunch time and we both agree to adopt/take in the cat, if someone can catch it we can pop around with a pet carrier.</p><p>We dont have a litter tray or any stuff for a cat so if someone does can they give us a shout.</p><p>Obviously if the owners are just away or its a lost cat then we will return said moggy.</p><p>Plus it needs a name I like Beetroot.</p>
  • This is great news! I just went out to have a look but there's no sign of it. I'm only round the corner so I'll keep watch, or I'm sure @GeekyCatLover can find it. Hope so. Beetroot is a good name but perhaps you should hold a SG.org poll?
  • <p>OK that's cool, had a word with the cat we dont own but who pops by for fuss and food and told him not to pick on him.</p><p>A poll is a good idea I think but it could end up with the cat having a very odd name, will see what Annie thinks about it.</p>