Property solicitor - recommendations?

edited September 2010 in Local discussion
Can anyone recommend a local solicitor who does property conveyancing or the like?

We're thinking of trying to buy the freehold to our house, and need some legal advice.

Grateful for any contacts, local or otherwise.

Comments

• edited 6:49AM
    I used Unsworth Rose Solicitors when I bought the freehold on my place, from a recommendation from one of my neighbours doing the same.

Not sure just how 'local' you're thinking - Unsworth Rose are in Primrose Hill - but they're a small firm, and I was very happy with their work (a large part of which was continually pestering LBI's in-house solicitor to pull his/her finger out).
    A friend of mine works for Wedlake Bell. I think they do commercial and top end property conveyancy, but she's very good and happy pass her on as a referral.
    Russell Shapiro at Gelbergs on Upper St, Higbury end - very good and reasonably priced - used them 4 or 5 times Take instructions over the phone etc.
    Try Oxley and Coward based in South Yorkshire. Yes, I said S. Yorks! They are a major firm and there is no reason why they cant do work in London - its all done online so location is irrlevant unless you have some very specific issue where they need to look at the house obviously. They will be a lot cheaper than london solicitors and they are a long established professional outfit. I have used them previously twice in London via a recommendation.
    My experience (during 8 years as an Estate Agent) is that solicitors outside London, particularly large call-centre-type operations, are very often those who cause the problems that delay and often ruin property transactions. Sorry if I sound negative but I have dealt with hundreds of sales and seen it happen many times. I would always recommend you use a local (or at least London) solicitor, especially if you are looking to buy the Freehold - this is a process which is much less common outside London and many non-London solicitors will have less knowledge on the subject than your Freeholder - not good!
    Thanks for all the tips and advice - its appreciated.

We used a solicitor in Manchester when we bought our flat, and I must admit that I would have been more comfortable with someone closer, just for the 'local' issues, although in the end he did an alright job, I wasn't keen to use him again.
  • Sorry to dredge an old thread, any more up to date recommendations?
  • David Garfinkel.  Harter and Loveless Solicitors Caledonian Road.  Absolutely lovely and totally decent.  Have used 3 times.
  • Excellent, I shall follow that up.<div><br></div><div>Thanks very much!</div>
  • I used Chris Brierley at Fahri Jacobs in Crouch End - very good (bit of a talker) but extremely helpful and no bullshit (which is always appreciated!).
  • David Garfinkel! Is he still around? I used him about 15 years ago, when he was in Blackstock Rd - lovely man, terrifyingly messy office with files in heaps everywhere (and I speak as a very messy person here), but he always seemed to know what he was doing ...
  • Brilliant, thank you so much for all your help. Looks like I have a lot to get on with.
  • I used Chris from Fahri Jacob as well and can definitely recommend him, I was a very naive first time buyer and he helped steer me through the whole process.