Comments

• edited July 2012
  • edited June 2012
    k ... thanks for the update
  • edited July 2012
  • edited July 2012
    <div><div><div><br></div></div></div>
  • I'm curious about these... any reviews from the good folks of sg.org?<br>
  • Arkady - I went to one the other night (my first time) and thought it was brilliant. Great food, fabulous hosts and good company. Would highly recommend it.
  • Forgot to add lovely lovely place also.
  • Is this basically a dinner party with strangers? "Come dine with me" without the reviews? Help me out here
  • I second the question.  Also, are these the same thing as the LGBT nights or what?<br>
  • edited July 2012
    <br><div><br></div><div><br></div>
  • edited July 2012
  • I know these supper clubs are all the rage, but I'll be honest, I don't see the appeal. The idea of having to make small talk with tipsy strangers... Just thinking about it makes me break out in a cold sweat. <br><br>I can do it when I have to, whether it's for work or at a wedding. But paying to have to do it on my night off? No thanks.<br><br>Could someone please explain it to me, 'cause I must be missing something.<br>
  • edited July 2012
  • How mysterious - lots of comments from cristo through the history of both this thread and the LGBT one have suddenly been blanked out, as have the thread titles.<br>
  • Noticed that too - just came back to the site to see it was for real or an IT glitch. Happens when an account is deleted, I think, but don't know if other things can cause the same effect. @cristo? Are you there?
  • It's known in IT circles as the Ark-die effect "when healthy discourse is overwhelmed by bitterness and a short circuit ensues through surge of misery and moral flatulence , or alternatively , the bill holder's credit card is compromised by pet ingestation '' (Wikipedia )
  • edited August 2012
    Hi vetski I'm here...I decided to remove the post as I really didn't want it clogged up with negative comments, especially from people who have never been to a supper club before but quick to make assumptions and ruin it for others who might be genuinely interested.
  • Rainbow and Arkady asked for someone to explain what they liked about such events as they, like me, haven't been. Would have been the perfect opportunity for people who have been and love them to shower them with praise. You can't direct what people say on a forum, so if you only want positivity and praise rather than honesty this probably isn't the best place to advertise your events.
  • @Miss_annie, that's why I included a link to my webpage and reviews. 
  • <div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">I went to a dinner @ Clandestino and it was a good night. The food was very tasty and always good to meet people from different walks of life.</font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><br></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">I see supper clubs as a cross between a dinner party, pop-up restaurant and a hint of 'come dine with me' (with some reviews on blogs, social network and spreading the word)</font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><br></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">For this specific supper club, the hosts turn they lounge into a dining room and serve home cooked food to people who have decided to join the evening. Yes, you will be faced with strangers eating at the same table and some people enjoy talking and meeting new people. During this first experience the topic of conversation went from food to other local supper clubs. If guests wishes to drink wine or beer, it's bring your own which is usually shared across the guests.</font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><br></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">The role of the host, beside providing the meal, is also engaging with guests and share experiences on passed supper club.</font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><br></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">It may not be to everyone's taste, however if you want to enjoy a good local meal, meeting and engaging with new people (mainly local), i would suggest to give it a go.</font></div>
  • <P>Cristo - that was perhaps a bit of an overreaction. I believe rainbow carnage genuinely wanted to know what the appeal of this kind of event was. I had similar concerns before I attended one, and can only confirm that you are a great host and can make even an old misanthrope like me feel perfectly comfortable. </P> <P>Rainbow carnage, I can only speak for the the LGBT events. The interesting thing about these is the opportunity for Ls, Gs, Bs and Ts to get to know some of the other local Ls, Gs, Bs and Ts, as the majority of the first three types don't appear as jump-in-your-face L, G or B when you see them in the queue in Tesco. I am socially super-awkward and find the idea of sitting at a table with strangers, forcing myself to do small talk, probably at least as nerve-wrecking as you, but then, most friendships go back to some initially awkward situation (at least in my exceedingly awkward life). And luckily, there's lots of very easy-going friendly people in this part of the world. In a way just getting on with strangers over a period of two or three hours or so also can feel strangely enriching.</P> <DIV>In any case it is amazing what kind of an effort Cristo and his mates are making to make everyone feel welcome, and the cooking is without doubt (on the one occasion I was there) excellent. I don't completely understand their motivation, being not much of a natural host myself, but it is certainly very impressive.</DIV>
  • edited August 2012
    Some folks here like the chance to meet fellow SGrs in a pub, as shown by the recent 'social' thread. Some folks here like the chance to meet fellow SGrs round a dining table, as shown by the initiative of Christo 'et al'. Some folks find meeting new people tough going so stay home. Strokes for folks innit? Simples!