sash windows

edited August 2012 in Sharing
having just bought a small flat in SGR complete with original rickety sash windows, I wondered what the advice is to improve heat loss, sound insulation and lots of little cracked bits in the frame. We are on the Harringay side and I believe this is a conservation zone so that means restrictions on what can and can't do? We certainly don't want to rip out the windows and install Upvc (and not sure we'd be allowed). What are the best options for these attractive but impractical windows?<div><br></div><div><br></div>

Comments

• Depending on the condition and depth of the frames, you can sometimes have a double-glazed panel inserted into your original frames. Cracks and rot can be repaired to a satisfactory degree with epoxy resins. The alternative is to have new, double or triple-glazed units made up. It's not cheap but, speaking from experience, the difference in heat retention and noise abatement is remarkable. Get the chaps from Stroud Green Windows around to take a look. They did mine although I got a better price from them through my builder than I did direct.
  • Before you get new / double-glazed ... look into getting them refurbished. It's cheaper and I've found has made a considerable difference in terms of heat loss. Certainly worth asking an expert what's your best bang-for-buck.
  • I believe we're also in the Haringey conservation area. Hasn't stopped our neighbours from installing hideous upvc windows.<br>
  • Haringey are terrible at enforcement.<br>
  • <P>You can overhaul the windows - add draught proofing strips and clean most of the build up of paint off them to improve matters. If you can get the old shutters working these can be quite effective. Heavy lined curtains make good cheap insulation - and a bit of 'trickle' ventilation is no bad thing.  Worth the effort as much of the original timber is far superior to what is available now. Be careful about reglazing in double units - even with thin units. For one the seals around insulated units don't last very long in traditional puttied fixings, and another is that you may have difficulty balancing the counterweights (add lead strips or rings). </P> <P>Whatever you do make sure you fit good locks as they are extremely vulnerable to burglaries. </P>
  • Just started researching into doing something about our old and rotting sash windows and have come to the conclusion  that renovating them is going to be the way to go.  Now to try and find a good, reasonably priced local window fixer person (do shout if you have recommendations). Have asked at Stroud Green Windows and got the name of their fitter who does renovations and have found a firm over Green Lanes way called  Acorn Sash windows and another firm so will be getting quotes and getting to grips with the best way to deal with this thorny little project! <br><br><br>
  • We had ours done by Stroud Green Windows. They were much cheaper than acorn (we got quotes from both) but didnt include any of the finishing, which I did myself. They might be able to renovate, if the windows aren't too damaged. Ours were a complete replacement. They look great that's not a great achievement when I picture the awful un-openable louvre shite that was there before them. Stroud Green Windows have yet to provide us with a Fensa certificate which seems to be taking a very long time. They're good at what they do though.
  • thanks oddstewart.  when you say didn't include finishes do you mean they didnt paint the frame and window woodwork?<br>I got the details of their fitter who they said does renovation which I am hoping will mean their wont be such a big outlay!  I read on other forums about Fensa accreditation but didn't know one could have a certificate to put on the house CV.  <br>
  • Yes. I did the filling around the new frame and all of the inside painting and then we had someone else paint the outside frame, windows and masonry. <br><br>It was much more expensive to have SGW do the painting and finishing.<br>
  • <P>Angel Sash Windows overhauled our downstairs middle bay window today. They took the whole thing out, scraped the old paint, replaced the beading and ropes, weighed it to make sure that the weights on the ropes were correct and installed brush draught proofing throughout. They also fitted new window locks and handles. For the past 3 1/2 years our front room has been very chilly thanks to the draughts coming through this window - the problem is now gone. We kept putting it off thinking we would have to replace the whole thing and it would be £000s but it looked like all it needed was £290 inclusive of VAT worth of work on it. Problem is that now I want them to do the rest of the house!</P> <P>Highly recommended. </P>