Parkrun

edited September 2012 in Local discussion
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">I know at least one other SG member is a regular, but I don't think we've had a thread (or if we have, not for ages) saying that Parkrun is ace. Saturday mornings at 9am, it's a great way to flush out a hangover and sets you up for the weekend.</font><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; "><br></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; ">Any else do it, other than points champion @mapsa?</div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; "><br></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">http://www.parkrun.org.uk/finsbury/home</font></div>;

Comments

• I love it. I mean, I hate it when I'm running up the hill on the second lap, and I feel like I'm going to vomit up my lungs, but deep down, I know how much good it is doing me. I'd only just started running when I did my first one, but 102 of them later, I've taken 3 minutes off my PB. And met some lovely people (hi Andy!). Do it!
  • i cheated on FP parkrun saturday and did a parkrun somewhere else. Which I did about 40 seconds quicker than I've ever done FP. That hill is bad, but probably good for you.
  • edited September 2012
    I did it last summer but came second from last. I know it's not meant to be a race but I was a bit put off by all the serious runners in alarming sportswear up front (and I'm now imagining Andy in an all-in-one lycra running suit). I did want to do it again, but not until I became a better runner. Except I haven't become a better runner, or indeed a runner at all.
  • @mapsa is the guy in serious sportswear. I normally wear an old swindon town away shirt with all the labels peeling off. But it's not like a certain type of gym - no-one expects people to do anything more than run their own race. With running, there's always someone who'll beat you, so there's no snobbery about being fast or slow. I was beaten by an 14 year old on saturday and almost chased down by an 11 year old.
  • <p>Haha, thanks Andy - no, I'm the dishevelled, hairy guy who looks like he should be drinking in Wetherspoons at 9am on a Saturday rather than trying to run 5k. I agree with the rest of what you say though - there really is no snobbery in it at all, and the person who finishes last deserves (and gets) as much applause as the person who finishes first.</p><p> </p>
  • Parkrun is brilliant, but the FP course is challenging due to the hills. <div><br></div><div>@mapsa were you given the big round of applause for 101 runs? really you should get one at 104 runs, as then you've completed 2 full years of park running. Which will mean you've run up that hill 208 times*, which is very impressive.</div><div><br></div><div>I shot myself in the foot, as I did my first Park Run straight after doing the marathon 2 years ago when I was very fit. I'll never beat my PB now.</div><div><br></div><div>* you have to do 2 laps of FP, if you're considering it!</div>
  • Parkrun is brilliant, but the FP course is challenging due to the hills. <div><br></div><div>@mapsa were you given the big round of applause for 101 runs? really you should get one at 104 runs, as then you've completed 2 full years of park running. Which will mean you've run up that hill 208 times*, which is very impressive.</div><div><br></div><div>I shot myself in the foot, as I did my first Park Run straight after doing the marathon 2 years ago when I was very fit. I'll never beat my PB now.</div><div><br></div><div>* you have to do 2 laps of FP, if you're considering it!</div>
  • I don't know how that got posted twice. sorry.
  • Yes, that was me. After all this time, I do think I know every inch of that hill now. "It is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can run 100 Finsbury Parkruns without stopping at Manor House on the second lap and having a little cry", as Sun Tzu wrote.
  • Oh goodness, I'm now remembering the hill on the second lap. Do you Parkrunners do practice runs during the week? <div><br></div><div>Actually... does anyone want to go running? I don't want to join a proper running club, and I'm slow and like stopping every so often so you'd have to be as slow as me, or at least not easily annoyed - as a guide, I just looked up my park run result and I did two laps of the park in nearly 34 minutes. This unnaturally "fast" pace was mainly down to trying to avoid total humiliation and I did nearly die of a heart attack.</div><div><br></div><div>Two laps of the park, one evening a week? The SG.org running club, beginners' branch for the lazy and feckless?</div>
  • Sounds good to me. Haven't run since school cross country, which is longer ago than I care to remember ... Lazy and feckless is about right.
  • This is great news! Want to whisper me your email address and we'll coordinate? If anyone else wants to come, whisper me too.