Local doctors

edited October 2012 in Local discussion
Maybe it's just because the search facility is a bit dodgy these days, but I can't find a recent thread on this.<br>After three years in the area I figure it's time to register with a doctor.  I hit thirty this month and anticipate starting to fall apart soon, so this is a pre-emptive strike.<br><br>Any recommendations?  What factors should I be considering?  As an Upper Eastsider does it need to be a Haringey GP, or would Islington accept me?<br><br>Ta in advance.<br>B<br>

Comments

• Nearly 30 and you haven't got your name on the waiting list for hip replacements? That's living life on the edge.<br><br>This is anecdote rather than studied fact: when we moved from Islington to Haringey from the (we thought pretty good) <a href="http://www.nhs.uk/services/gp/mapsanddirections/defaultview.aspx?id=38832">Hanley Road surgery</a> they kicked us out. I don't know whether that is purely to do with borough or to do with distance. I suspect at least a degree of the latter, because we're now with the (we think pretty rubbish) '<a href="http://www.nhs.uk/Services/gp/Overview/DefaultView.aspx?id=43947">157 Practice'</a> on Stroud Green Road, which is still on the Islington side.<br><br>I expect the thoroughly underwhelming patient reviews you see of those two places through those links are the pretty standard result of using the opinion of the self-referring, so I'd canvas wider opinion. I didn't look very carefully - it may be there are better-conducted surveys too.<br><br>As I say, speaking for myself I would avoid 157.<br>
  • edited October 2012
    You only 29, Arkady? I confess I thought you were more my sort of age - whether compliment or insult I leave you to decide! Hanley Rise Practice have always treated me OK, but I haven't really had any problems in 30 years, so that doesn't tell you much. May you be as fortunate healthwise, for your next 30 - 40 years..
  • Thank you Checkski.  I get that a lot.<br><br>Ta for the links.<br>
  • Arky, Type  "Stroud Green Doctors " into Google and you will find at position  8 and 9 links to the posts on here everything above that si about the DRs themsleves
  • We use Andover medical centre (for the past 3 years since we moved) who have been very good.<br>
  • Funny you should say that, Boxrunner. Only this morning a neighbour was telling me about the Andover Practice. She said they like a joke. Sounds good.
  • Here's another vote for 'avoid 157 Practice'  (am currently looking to register elsewhere - maybe one of the John Scott Centre practices on Green Lanes as I've heard comparatively good things about them)
  • We are 'lower east side' and resistered with The Vale Practice in CE - very good
  • Crouch Hall Road Surgery has so far been very good.  I'm SGR so their catchment area seems quite wide.
  • I'm currently at Hanley Primary Care Centre (which I would not recommend) but as that's Islington it's no use to you.  When I lived in your neck of the woods I was registered at The Vale Practice on Park Road.  Excellent care.<br>
  • Hanley Road PCT are terrible. They were pretty good when we first registered 4 and a bit years ago, seem to be falling over now though. Maximum 10 minute appointments, often with a locum who just taps details into a computer while barely looking at you, and all same day appointments are well gone by 8:30 in the morning.<br><br>It's a shame as there are some very good staff there but they're forced to rely on locums too much and the practice overall just can't cope with the workload. Avoid.<br>
  • Hint: whenever you want to search sg.org, use google to seach, and limit it to sg.org by including site:stroudgreen.org in your search query.<br><br>FWIW, I'm with Dr Henderson at Queenswood Medical Practice at the Hornsey Neighbourhood Health Centre on Park Road, Crouch End - and am very happy except that it can take a bit of time to get an appointment (and obviously it's not terribly close to SG - but there's always the W7).<br><br>roy<br>
  • and these are the Doctors that are going to be holding the NHS budgets and commissioning services
  • Re that last point. I have been handed a card to give to my GP, telling her I only consent to NHS services, not those from private providers. Part of a concerted campaign to persuade GPs to support the NHS, apparently. Furthermore, I am told that they are supposed to consult their patients as a whole, on this issue. My Rise Practice hasn't done so. How about the rest of you?
  • Nope, we haven't been contacted about this.  The whole issue of CCG's (Clinical Commissioning Groups) which were meant to be led by GPs may be in some limbo with the Lansley's departure.  I'm not sure what mess they would convert it into at this stage however.<br>
  • I am giving up on Hanley Primary Care centre having been consistently unable to get appointments. <br><br>You either have to call up at 8am, for same day appointments, when of course you then can't get through for half an hour and thus end up late for work and still not having seen a doctor.<br><br>Alternatively there's a wait of two weeks for an appointment anywhere near the start or end of the day. Not great if you have a job. <br><br>This comes after they introduced a system (later abandoned) where you could only get same day appointments, which was completely bonkers.<br><br>Andover looks good. I'm going to try there.<br><br>Wasn't there talk of liberating doctor registration to let people sign up near their work, not their home. That would seem a very wise plan and cure a lot of the problems of struggling to ever actually see a doctor if you have a job that isn't on your doorstep.<br>
  • Hanley Road PCT are terrible. They were pretty good when we first registered 4 and a bit years ago, seem to be falling over now though. Maximum 10 minute appointments, often with a locum who just taps details into a computer while barely looking at you, and all same day appointments are well gone by 8:30 in the morning.<br><br>It's a shame as there are some very good staff there but they're forced to rely on locums too much and the practice overall just can't cope with the workload. Avoid.<br>
  • <p>Really, register with Dr Moneeb at The Beaumont Practice on Hornsey Rise. They open at 9am, you can phone or walk in for a same day appointment (you have to be on the phone or outside at 9am,) and although I am a rare visitor to the quacks I've never had a problem being seen.</p><p> The only locums I've seen there have been French and fantastic! They take health and wellbeing seriously in France.</p>