Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters

Introduction to Creative Writing

edited October 2012 in Classifieds
<p class="MsoNormal" align="center" style="text-align:center"><b><span style="font-family:Arial"><br>Introduction to Creative Writing<o:p></o:p></span></b></p> <p class="MsoNormal" align="center" style="text-align:center"><b><span style="font-family:Arial">A six week taster course</span></b><b style="font-size: 10pt; "><span style="font-family:Arial"> </span></b></p> <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-family:Arial">This taster course is designed to stimulate your imagination and get you writing. If you have a desire to express yourself on paper or want help developing your creative writing skills this is the course for you. You will be able to write and receive feedback in a supportive atmosphere. By the end of the course, you will have learned some of the essential principles of good writing and will have acquired some simple techniques to improve your own creative writing. You will also have an enhanced critical awareness of your own and others’ creative writing. The course is also intended to energise, inspire and promote your writing confidence. <o:p></o:p></span></p> <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-family: Arial; font-size: 10pt; ">We will begin each class by reading and examining text/s that illustrate the various topics. This will be followed by writing exercises. In the final part of the session everyone will read aloud from their work.</span></p> <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-family: Arial; font-size: 10pt; ">This will take place in a relaxed, safe environment. It is also intended to be a fun, social setting where you can meet new people, write, and share your words with others. Basic written English skills are required.</span></p> <p class="MsoNormal"><b style="text-align: center; font-size: 10pt; "><span style="font-family:Arial">When: Monday eves 6 – 8pm</span></b></p> <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-family:Arial">Monday 22 October to 26 November inclusive<o:p></o:p></span></p> <p class="MsoNormal"><b style="font-size: 10pt; "><span style="font-family:Arial">Where: Rowan Arts Office,</span></b></p> <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-family: Arial; background-color: white; background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial; ">The Old Fire Station</span><span style="font-family: Arial; "><br> <span style="background:white">84 <st1:address w:st="on"><st1:street w:st="on">Mayton Street</st1:street><br> <st1:city w:st="on">London</st1:city></st1:address> N7 6QT<o:p></o:p></span></span></p> <p class="MsoNormal"><b style="font-size: 10pt; "><span style="font-family:Arial">Topics covered:</span></b></p> <p class="MsoNormal"><b style="font-size: 10pt; "><span style="font-family:Arial">Week 1: Beginnings</span></b><span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial; "> We will look at some memorable beginnings in both poetry and prose before creating/refining our own beginnings.</span></p> <p class="MsoNormal"><b style="font-size: 10pt; "><span style="font-family:Arial">Week 2: Memory and the senses</span></b><span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial; ">  We will look at how we can use our memories and senses as a springboard into creative writing.</span></p> <p class="MsoNormal"><b style="font-size: 10pt; "><span style="font-family:Arial">Week 3: Conflict</span></b><span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial; ">  Conflict/complications are essential for good storytelling. We will look at how to include conflict/complications in our work, its place in our ‘narrative arc’ and how this can affect tension and pace in our creative writing.</span></p> <p class="MsoNormal"><b style="font-size: 10pt; "><span style="font-family:Arial">Week 4: Character  </span></b><span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial; ">We will look at what makes strong characters and<b> </b>work on developing our own characters’ motivations/goals. We will also produce character dossiers.</span></p> <p class="MsoNormal"><b style="font-size: 10pt; "><span style="font-family:Arial">Week 5: <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placename w:st="on">Dialogue</st1:placename>  <st1:placetype w:st="on"><span style="font-weight:normal">Building</span></st1:placetype></st1:place><span style="font-weight:normal"> on the previous session on character we will work on creating good dialogue in prose, poetry and drama. This will include role-play for those so inclined.</span></span></b></p> <p class="MsoNormal"><b style="font-size: 10pt; "><span style="font-family:Arial">Week 6:</span></b><span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial; "> <b>Fables  </b>We will look at how we can use fables for inspiration and incorporate elements into our writing. This topic will also cover the use of allegory, metaphor and simile.</span></p> <p class="MsoNormal"><b style="font-size: 10pt; "><span style="font-family:Arial">Tutor: </span></b><span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial; ">Lucy Popescu is a writer, editor and creative writing teacher with a background in theatre, literature, film and human rights. She is experienced in developing and shaping others’ creative work having edited Write to Life’s annual anthology of refugee writing in June 2011 and co-edited the PEN anthology, <i>Another Sky</i> in 2007. Her own book, <i>The Good Tourist </i>was published in 2008. She is also a reader-editor for Cornerstones Literary Agency and writes reports that guide the writer through the creative writing process. She regularly reviews books, theatre and film. She contributes to <i>The Independent</i>, <i>Independent on Sunday, Literary Review</i> and <i>TLS</i>.</span></p> <p class="MsoNormal"><b style="font-size: 10pt; "><span style="font-family: Arial; background-color: white; background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial; ">Cost: £30</span></b><span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial; background-color: white; "> payable in advance for 6 sessions</span></p> <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-family: Arial; font-size: 10pt; ">For further information or to book your place please contact Lucy: lucyjpop@gmail.com</span></p>

Comments