Stroud Green Olive Oil

Comments

• Bought my first bottle from Ash's last week and it is very good indeed. The only tiny quibble is that it's a shame the price sticker went on top of the label because taking it off left a mark. Even then, I only minded because the label was so chic.
  • I have just received notification from Haringey that Stroud Green Olive Oil (aka Casa della Meridiana Olive Oil) has been awarded Food Hygeine Rating 4 - Good.<br><br>You can continue drizzling it onto your bruschetta with confdence.<br>
  • Congrats. That's practically a Michelin star.
  • Proud to announce that Stroud Green Olive Oil inspired Dan Lepard's cookery column in the new Guardian food supplement on Saturday - <a href="http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2013/jan/12/spiced-olice-oil-cake-recipe?INTCMP=SRCHhttp://">Dan Lepard's Spiced Olive Oil Cake</a>.    Yes, really - and I have it from the man himself.   I've blogged the full story on  - <a href="https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=7920732813116944184#allposts"><b>read all about it here</b></a><b>.</b>      <br><br><br>
  • Amazing! Well done Krappy!
  • <P>I am actually eating a bit of cake made to the recipie but not with "local " oil.</P> <P> </P> <P>I added cranberries and chopped dried mangos to it</P>
  • I had my first taste of SG olive oil the other day and it is definitely very yummy!<div>@Krappy, I'll contact you soon for another 3 bottles... hope they are still going!</div>
  •  I was in the new organic place near the Mind charity shop the other day (not a npatch on Ash's for fruit and vegetables, but a very nice selection of health food/ deli type items) and it struck me as an obvious Stroud Gren olive oil outlet.
  • Good news - Stroud Green Olive Oil is now being sold at the Organic Foods shop near Mind!<br><br>The price is £5.<br><br>@Mirandola, this was already in train before your post - but thanks for giving me a push and making me get on with it.   It'll be great if the oil sells well, because the owner, who is a really nice guy, is keen on it and wants to make a really nice display.  So watch this space.<br>
  • Good! Fruit and veg a bit limited, true, but bread is excellent, and I've also had very good olives, walnuts etc - so the more useful things they stock to keep them in business the better - that stretch of SGR has a poor shelf life ...
  • the sense of power is making me drunk
  • No disrespect to Ash's shop but I much prefer the fruit and veg in the Organic Foods shop, their cherry tomatoes in particular are delicious. Will pick up a bottle of olive oil next time I'm in.
  • I like Organic Foods. The man behind the counter, Ayub, is really a nice guy.     Unfortunately my oil is not that well displayed right at the moment.    It's just inside on the left.     But Ayub is really supportive and interested.     I was in there tonight discussing the pronunciation of 'Ayub' in Turkish and Arabic (which I knew sod all about, to be honest).<br>
  • I was in there buying cherry tomatoes and avocados, so we may have crossed! I did look around briefly for olive oil and didn't see it - should have asked - will do next time ...
  • Fourth shelf up, just on your left as you go in. <br>
  • <P>And on the counter by the till. </P> <P>There was someone quite unfriendly in there yesterday. I trotted and said a cheery hello and was met with a scowl and so left fairly sharpish. I'll be sticking with Ash's, more choice, cheaper and friendly. I actually couldn't give a monkey's about organic food.</P>
  • @miss annie I think you may have been in the wrong shop.     Ayub seems mild-mannered and friendly and is puzzled by this.  Or perhaps you had a cultural misunderstanding.   By the way organic food is a Good Thing as it is good for the birdies, biological diversity and the health of what passes for countryside.  In my opinion.<br>
  • edited February 2013
    Bottle exchange!.    If anyone returns me a bottle, I will do Stroud Green Olive oil at 50p off.     You can either bring me one of the original bottles and I'll swap for a new one, or bring me a bottle of the right size (250ml) and I'll fill it, label it and give it back.    Resuse is good and saves me money.<br>
  • 5 bottles of Stroud Green Oil now distributed in California. Coals to Newcastle!
  • Stroud Green Olive Oil will be on sale on Thursday evening at the Indulgence Evening at St Aidans School, so if any parents are going look out for me. I'll be offering a tasting of SG Oil v. standard superstore plonk oil. Bottles will be £5. Organic Food shop will be there too and we will be the only two local food outlets, I understand. REAL food.
  • @krappyrubsnif, what is the Indulgence Evening? Just looked on St A's website events page & couldn't find anything about it.
  • I was about to ask the same thing, it sounds special
  • All I know is this.  I'll do the St Aidan's PTA a favour and start a separate thread.<br><br>Our primary school St Aidan’s, based in North London, is looking for support to help us raise monies to improve our schools facilities.  The school, parents, children and community are all working together to enhance the area to suit all children who attend the school.<br><br>To do this we are organising an Indulgence Evening open to the local community on the 28th February (6.30 – 9pm start time TBC). It should be a great community event with lots of lovely treatments and cocktails. People will buy a ticket for the event (£4). In the main hall will be stalls with a range of products, a table will be £15 for the night. There will also be a Nail bar (£10 per beautician). There will be smaller private areas for treatments, each treatment will be £7 for 15 minutes or £14 for ½ hour. Payment for any treatments or products will go directly to the stall holders or practitioners.<br><br>The event will be advertised in the local area and if you are able to come we will ensure your business name is included.<br><br>We really hope this project succeeds and would really appreciate your help on making it happen - so would love to hear from you!<br><br>Best regards<br><br>St Aidan School PSA<br><br>Charity Name: St Aidan’s N4 Parents School Association<br>Charity Number: 1131828<br>
  • Stroud Green Olive Oil now on sale at the Finsbury Park café. A lovely display on their new massive counter. Usual price. I've also recently resupplied the Organic Food Shop and Stroud Green Fruit & Veg with bottles with nice clean smart labels, and I notice that Ash has put down his price to £4.99.
  • edited May 2013
    Suffering, I fear, from a late-night excess of Tesco Express Extra-Strength Lager, our esteemed colleague Comrade K last night left a waspish post on another thread about the obnoxious middle classes and SGOO's 'Tuscan olive grove' etc etc. Not for the first time, and no doubt reaching for the paracetamol bottle, Comrade K has this morning deleted it.<br><br>Yikes - how hurt we are at the SGOO olive plantation by this outrageous slur!<br><br>Oh, Comrade K, please get your facts right before leaping into a slithery pool of bourgeouis olive oil-ness.  Tuscany is indeed a wealthy area largely inhabitated by middle class British hooray Henrys slurping overpriced red wine in overpriced palazzi, and is widely known as 'Chianti-shire'.   SGOO is from Abruzzo which is by some measures the poorest region of Italy, largely inhabitated by hard-working farmers and artisans descended from from peasant and working class stock, scratching a living from the soil, raising pigs and selling home made wine.  There are no tourists.  Comrade K would feel at home there among the rural proletariat.<br><br>I am indeed lucky to have formed an association with the area, proud to have many friends among these lovely people, and no, they are not zombies either.   In such an area of central Italy, olive oil is not a middle class badge of distinction but an everyday, healthy commodity, part of the staple diet, and a product laboured over for months in all weathers by agricultural workers who know their job - for almost no reward.   (Olive oil is nothing like as valuable to the local producers as it once was because of the down-grading and commodification of olive oil by the massive olive oil barons like Bertolli.)<br><br>That is why I am proud to share real olive oil from Italy with the downtrodden masses of London N4, even if it makes me a middle class zombie myself.    Dear Comrade K, I suggest you stick to the extra virgin in future.    <br><br>   <br>
  • This is why we close the site at night.
  • @krappyrubsnif, any further plans to refill empties? My middle-class credentials are waning as my SGOO supply dwindles, & I don't have time to nip to Tuscany to shore them up (too busy with the WI. Actually, maybe my MC credentials are more secure than I thought). Ta!
  • Citizen Rubsnif, kindly be informed that people from the countryside are peasants and not proletarians. 
  • Consider (comrades) Lenin and Mao! For your 20thc Marxist revolutionary the rural poor are the landless, ie rural proletariat; the peasants on the other hand are invested in the status quo, and petty bourgeois. Your objection suggests a pre-French revolutionary class structure. Wales is of course complicated in relation to these categories (I'm taking it that the name is not fortuitous) but still. <div><br><div>Showing up embarrassing details here about political formation, age and general nerdiness...</div></div>
  • It was a joke and you're right MR KRS, done under the influence, but not low quality tesco beer but a bottle of wine and I rarely drink at home nowadays.  I do take things too far and thought while having breakfast this morning it's probably best to take it down before anyone commented.  I commend you on your project as I know the system it operates under.  Plantations are colonial thing and it was hyperbole.  Good luck with further supplies!