2015 election

edited February 2013 in Local discussion
I have decided to re-join the Labour Party and take an active part in getting rid of this bunch of pirates in the coalition in 2015. Who's joining me? Who's the candidate?

Comments

• Good luck with that, I think I shall stick with the peg leg and eye patch bunch. I would not trust the Labour Party to find its own arsehole. They blame everyone but the Labour Party for the mess the country is in now.
  • It's stiff competition but the Labour Party arsehole is Ed Balls.
  • Labour haven't selected a candidate.  The local party are famously incompetant, as anyone who knows anything about the Labour-run council will know.  Rumour has it that there has also been something of a tussle between the local and national party on the question - especially topical in the Hornsey & Wood Green constituency - of all-women shortlists.<br><br>In even better news, the Hornsey & Wood Green Tories have supposedly disbanded due to utter, utter irrelevance.<br>
  • Actually the local Tories haven't disbanded, although they might as well for all the impact they have around here.  Even in the posh wards.  Lynne Featherstone's Clone Army should ensure the parliamentary seat stays Lib Dem for as long as she decides to stick around.  <div><br></div><div>Haringey Council has been Labour controlled for how long?  A change is surely overdue.</div>
  • @quince, you're right.  On a local level, Labour have been in power for far too long and most definitely deserve a to be consigned to the wolves.   So I'll stick with my two-track approach, vote national one way, local another.<br><br>But who to vote for in Haringey instead?  I have already informed the fragrant Ms Featherstone that I will not be voting for her.  I still get deluged with Lib Dem propaganda which makes good kindling.
  • On the Islington side I think it's Jeremy Corbyn again - and the council was Lib Dem run until quite recently.
  • edited December 2017
  • @gardener-joe ;  Totally agree.  But that was then. This is now.    Where do we go from here?<br>
  • We vote Labour. Everywhere. It's vital that we do, there is no alternative. If we don't, that's the end of the Welfare State. A lot of it's gone already, a sizeable chunk chopped off by that traitor Blair, but - there isn't any alternative.. ..is there, Gardener Joe? A Labour government under Miliband will be marginally better than this lot, although I have no illusions. Christ, my generation was lucky. The 60's seem like a golden age, especially on the educational front.
  • Stroud Green Independence Party, innit.  UDI at the first opportunity, funding to come from an arrival/departure tax at Finsbury Park and a tollgate on the Hornsey Road.<div><br></div><div>Seriously though, I do wonder whether a locally-organised party would be able to get some traction around here.</div>
  • <P style="MARGIN-LEFT: 18pt"><SPAN style="COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial','sans-serif'"><FONT size=3>"The double dip recession was, of course, purely the fault of 1) the Labour party 2) Gordon Brown in particular 3) rich people paying too much tax 4) the Eurozone crisis 5) the Global economy 6) too many employment rights for workers 7) not enough de-regulation 8) the broken society 9) feral youth 10) teenage pregnancies 11) the welfare dependency culture 12) the bloated NHS 13) health tourists 14) unseasonably hot weather 15) unseasonably cold weather 16) unseasonably wet weather 17) public sector workers 18) public sector shirkers 19) public sector strikers 20) public sector pensions 21) interfering European bureaucrats 22) legal immigrants 23) illegal immigrants 24) disabled and sick people for drawing too much in benefits 25) elderly and retired people for not dying quickly enough, so costing a fortune in pension payouts 26) ordinary people for borrowing too much money to buy over-priced houses 27) the Queen's anniversary celebrations meaning too many Bank Holidays 28) the Olympics 29) the lack of a 3rd runway at Heathrow. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p></FONT></SPAN></P> <P style="MARGIN-LEFT: 18pt"><SPAN style="COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial','sans-serif'"><FONT size=3>Not forgetting G4S.<o:p></o:p></FONT></SPAN></P> <P style="MARGIN-LEFT: 18pt"><SPAN style="COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial','sans-serif'"><FONT size=3>However, it seems that credit for the “recovery” rests entirely with the outstanding statesmanship of Dave and our 2 economic gurus, Gideon and little Danny."<o:p></o:p></FONT></SPAN></P> <P style="MARGIN-LEFT: 18pt"><SPAN style="COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial','sans-serif'"><FONT size=3>This is from a few months ago so I guess you can add Snow and what ever other excuses the Coalition has.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>Austerity and taking demand out of the economy <SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </SPAN>doesn’t work particularly well as we are seeing. Have they completely forgotten that the multiplier effect works both ways ! <o:p></o:p></FONT></SPAN></P> <P style="MARGIN-LEFT: 18pt"><SPAN style="COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial','sans-serif'"><FONT size=3>Have a read of this:<SPAN style="mso-bidi-font-weight: bold"> "Saving the World"?: Gordon Brown Reconsidered – it might change you mind about a few things</SPAN><o:p></o:p></FONT></SPAN></P> <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 10pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; LINE-HEIGHT: 115%; FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial','sans-serif'"><o:p> </o:p></SPAN></P>