Off topic: N7

RoyRoy
edited February 2013 in General chat
So, I'm leaving N4 - the bright lights of N7 are calling :-)<br><br>Anyone have any recommendations (or otherwise) for enjoyable eating/drinking/dentistry/dry cleaning etc in the Holloway Road area?<br><br>roy<br>

Comments

• Uncle Sam, the dry cleaners opposite the Odeon, is very good Indian Ocean and El Molino restaurants are both great (opposite James Selby) Nid Ting (Thai near Chris Stevens) is great, too
  • The Landseer pub on Landseer Rd, The Swimmers on Eburne - both good for food. If you're in the market for a carvery and rough company, the Quays on Holloway Rd. There are tons of good places in N7, I used to live on Tollington Way and we were never bored. It's only a stroll back to SG anyway.
  • Second all the recs from Miss Annie.
  • I was going to recommend Crystal, but then I saw <A href="http://www.islingtongazette.co.uk/news/crime-courts/holloway_kebab_boss_hit_with_fine_and_ban_for_health_risks_1_1567550">this</A>. Has it gone rather downhill lately?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • RoyRoy
    edited February 2013
    Thanks for the comments, all....  Keep them coming :-)<br>
  • RoyRoy
    edited February 2013
    BTW, as a veggie, random kebab shops don't hold a huge attraction for me (although I've certainly known some that have done awesome felafels and other veggie food).  Carveries, ditto, not a huge attraction.<br><br>Is Indian Ocean some kind of Indian fish restaurant? - or just an oddly named Indian restaurant?<br><br>roy<br>
  • edited February 2013
    <font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Loving Hut on 669 Holloway (towards Archway) road is a veggie restaurant.  I've never been in but seems to have some good </font><span style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;">reviews</span><span style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;">. </span><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><span style="font-size: 10pt;"><br></span></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><span style="font-size: 10pt;">http://www.happycow.net/reviews.php?id=703</span></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><span style="font-size: 10pt;"><br></span></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><span style="font-size: 10pt;">And if you're into rock/goth pubs try The Big Red:</span></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><span style="font-size: small;">http://www.fancyapint.com/Pub/london/big-red/2699</span></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><span style="font-size: 10pt;"><br></span></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><span style="font-size: 10pt;"><br></span></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><span style="font-size: 10pt;"><br></span></div><div><br></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><br><div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br><div><br></div><div><br></div></div></div></div>
  • edited February 2013
    <P>I am vegetarian too, Roy! Crystal used to have the reputation of being one of London's best kebab places, with some very enthusiastic write-ups on the internet. Which now all seem to have gone. I had some great halloumi- and falafel-based meals there, and the last few times I went it was always extremely busy. But as I am not that much into Turkish food  - or Holloway - I only get there sporadically, and thinking of it, it may be well over a year since I was there last. I second all the other recommendations on here, although I found Indian Ocean a bit bold on the pricing front. It's not as if there weren't any other (good) curry places within walking distance.</P>
  • @kreuzkav: oh, I know the Big Red :-)<br><br>Thanks, everyone, for all the recommendations, I will check them out once I'm settled....<br><br>roy<br>
  • I like Indian Ocean, though I haven't been there in a year or two. It's not a fish restaurant, but they do have a wide range of fish dishes, as well as meat and veggie stuff. Decent food, though service is sometimes creepy.<br>
  • edited February 2013
    Both the Diamond Cafe and the Amazon Cafe have their charms.  I won't tell you that though, as it will condone you leaving.<br>
  • Too late, tenancy agreement signed.  I don't have much choice, anyway - I have to move out of my Florence Road flat.<br><br>I think I will quite enjoy N7, though...<br><br>roy<br>
  • How deep into N7 are you heading?<br>
  • Seconding the praise for the Swimmer, but I have to disagree about the Landseer (which manages to be at once rough and gastro - surely the worst of both worlds) and the Coronet. Yes, the latter is a Wetherspoon's, and for some people that's a deal-breaker in and of itself. But I like the quiet and the high ceilings of that branch in particular, and it's certainly not one of the fighty Wetherspoon's like eg the Turnpike Lane branch.
  • @Roy Oh, but that's just down the road, not far away at all! I walk over there at least twice a week to go to the fabric shop and market. You'll still be on the doorstep.
  • RoyRoy
    edited February 2013
    I wonder if the Coronet is a bit of a Jeckyll and Hyde, much like the Regal in Cambridge.  That, too, is a very large, city centre Wetherspoon's pub.<br><br>I would never, <i>ever,</i> go to the Regal on a Friday or Saturday night, when it's packed full of 18-20 year olds itching for trouble.  On the other hand, I often would go there at lunch time or in the afternoon, when it's quite quiet and an entirely different place.<br><br>roy<br>
  • edited February 2013
    ADGS<div><br></div><div>I disagree that the Landseer is rough.</div><div>Actually, it's very child friendly and I often go there with my children as well as female friends.</div><div>Unless, of course,  we disagree on the definition of a rough pub...</div>
  • In summer, I find there are some quite lairy elements who sit outside while their kids use the little park, though that said, don't think I went last summer so perhaps it has changed.
  • Been an N7 resident for a while now (hence v limited posting here). &nbsp; Oriental Palace is great for Chinese, and Pritiraj has some of the tastiest Indian takeaway I've had for years. &nbsp; The Lamb is very good for relaxed pub-ing, and I'd also recommend the Landseer for Sunday lunches.
  • Where is Oriental Palace? Always in the market for trying to find good Chinese. We've been using Silkmaker in Crouch End, which is usually pretty good.<br>
  • <br><div>ADGS - agree that the park gets busy in the summer with kids & parents enjoying a drink, but I have never witnessed anything bad</div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div>WillM - I like Pritiraj too!</div>
  • Theer was a murder outside the pub last year a stabbing I think  and there was alittle shrine.  I think it is fine and safe for kids because  of the park and traffic restictions
  • edited February 2013
    Yes, the murder was a shock to everybody, but it had nothing to do with the pub, its clientele, its staff or the surroundings...<div>The park is safe for kids - to be fair, it does get a bit too packed when it's hot as it's small.<div> It's also dog-free and the climbing wall is great!</div></div>
  • PapaL - My mistake, it's Oriental Gourmet (http://www.oriental-gourmets.com/)