Book Group Wednesday 17th April: The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

edited April 2013 in StroudGreen Book Club
<p>Back to a classics with a succinct novel that will be familiar to many. </p> <p><em>The Great Gastsby</em> by F. Scott Fitzgerald is an American novel written in the 1920s. A portrait of the Jazz Age and it's excesses, this novel is also a cautionary tale about the 'great American dream' wrapped up in a love story. </p> <p>A new film version is out soon - so get ahead and read it before you see it on screen. </p> <p>Meeting at <strong>The Old Dairy, 8pm on Wednesday 17th April.</strong> </p> <p> </p> <p> </p>

Comments

• the film version looks great. 
  • Gatz (the 8 hour reading/play) was wonderful. I'd be scared of having at as a book group book though - not sure I could be civil to anyone who didn't like it and I do try to keep my inner Kenneth Tynan under wraps.
  • You should come! You don't have to be civil :)
  • glad this is one that is available on kindle - been meaning to come for a while.
  • I'm really sorry but I won't be able to make it next Weds, I hope you have a good evening. I will probably be a bit rubbish for the next six months due to bloody thesis-writing, so I might be missing a few more, but hope to see you soon even if I haven't read the books!
  • Only started reading it yesterday and am already halfway through so I reckon it should be easy to start an finish by book club if you haven't already started it.
  • I read it a couple of weeks ago. I think it's the third time I've read it (the first in several years) and It was just as good as I remembered. Look forward to the discussion on Thursday.
  • Finished it hours after I posted! Looking forward to seeing you all - is it tomorrow or Thursday Jen?
  • I'm not able to make tonight unfortunately. Have enjoyed reading the book again and am disappointed to miss itl! Hope to make it next time. Sophie, hope the thesis writing goes well! x
  • I got so mixed up and had it in my head it was Thurs. Can't do tonight. Can anyone make Thurs?
  • I can't do tomorrow so still planning to go tonight if anyone else is?!! Let me know if you are coming!
  • edited April 2013
    Hi Angela<div>So sorry about last night. A few people couldn't make it and I got utterly confused on the date! I didn't have your mobile number. We are hoping to reschedule for Monday (22nd April). Can you make it then?</div>
  • To confirm:<div>After our plans for April 17 going awry, we will now meet on Monday 22 April, 8:00pm at the Old Dairy.</div><div>All welcome. </div>
  • I can't do Mondays so enjoy and see you all soon.
  • Shall we go ahead without Angela? It's a big shame but may be complicated to rearrange what do you all think?<div>Angela don't want to leave you out!</div>
  • It's fine to go ahead without me as it will get really complicated otherwise.
  • edited April 2013
    <h3 style="margin: 5px 0px 0px; padding: 0px 0px 10px;"><font face="Arial" style="font-weight: normal;" size="2">Hi Guys, I know it's short notice but The Queens will be supporting World book night on 23rd April by hosting a book swap evening from 7pm.  Bring in any unwanted but loved books and chat to other people about their books and the idea is that you leave with a book you haven’t yet read but will learn to love.</font></h3><p style="padding-right: 0px; padding-top: 0px; margin: 0px 10px 5px 0px;"><font face="Arial" size="2">World book night is an event set up to encourage reading in people who haven’t yet gained an interest 1 million free books are given out in one evening by volunteers to  anyone who isn’t yet an avid reader.</font></p><p style="padding-right: 0px; padding-top: 0px; margin: 0px 10px 5px 0px;"><font face="Arial" size="2">We will have a world book night ‘giver’ at The Queens on book night who will be sparking some new interest in reading. </font></p><p style="padding-right: 0px; padding-top: 0px; margin: 0px 10px 5px 0px;"><font face="Arial" size="2">We are also offering a selection of nibbles to any book groups that choose to hold a meet at The Queens on World book night (book groups do not get a copy of the World book night book).</font></p><p style="padding-right: 0px; padding-top: 0px; margin: 0px 10px 5px 0px;"><font face="Arial" size="2">For any more information please email queens@foodandfuel.co.uk</font></p>
  • We were there! And we were given a copy of the No1 Ladies Detective Agency by James from Hornsey Library, who was very sweet.
  • Great!<div><br></div><div>He managed to give out 30 copies.  Did you get any free cake?  </div>
  • We had no cake :( But the fish and chips was good
  • Hi folks<div><br></div><div>New to the area.  Would like to join in with book club.  What is the procedure / ritual in order to join in?  </div><div><br></div><div>Adam</div><div>:)</div>
  • Hi Adam, welcome! No special ritual - just turn up! We'll have copies of the book with us and usually meet in the Old Dairy although we vary it from time to time. Hoping I will be able to make it to our Brideshead Revisited meeting this Thursday so hopefully see you there.<br>
  • Sorry there hasn't been a post for this month! I'll put it up now - and Adam - you are v. welcome.<div><br></div>