INTERNSHIP PROGRAMME

edited April 2013 in Sharing
<font size="3" face="Times New Roman"> </font><p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; text-autospace: ; mso-layout-grid-align: none;" class="MsoNormal"><span style='font-family: "Arial","sans-serif";'>We offer unique Performing Arts Internships, providing a rare opportunity for anyone who wants to gain a wide knowledge of Arts Management practices, and gain the practical experience to back it up<i style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal;">. </i>The post would suit anyone interested in a career in Arts Management, or adventurous singers or musicians aiming to understand the business and administration side of the music industry. As an intern at electric voice theatre, you would be right in the thick of each and every aspect of the company, playing a key role in the organisation, production and management of each event, whilst developing and honing your own skills and contact base.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p></span></p><font size="3" face="Times New Roman"> </font><p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"><span style='font-family: "Arial","sans-serif";'><o:p> </o:p></span></p><font size="3" face="Times New Roman"> </font><p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"><span style='font-family: "Arial","sans-serif"; mso-bidi-font-size: 14.0pt; mso-bidi-font-family: HelveticaNeue; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: EN-US;' lang="EN-US">We are looking for candidates who have an interest in contemporary classical music and the performing arts, alongside proven administrative and computer skills. The ideal candidate would be self-motivated with excellent communication skills and a confident, outgoing personality. Applicants must have fluent written and spoken English, and any additional languages are desirable. A high level of score-reading ability and working knowledge of Sibelius would also be advantageous.</span><span style='font-family: "Arial","sans-serif";'><o:p></o:p></span></p><font size="3" face="Times New Roman"> </font><p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"><span style='font-family: "Arial","sans-serif";'><o:p> </o:p></span></p><font size="3" face="Times New Roman"> </font><p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"><span style='font-family: "Arial","sans-serif";'>The Internship programme is a 6-month part-time placement, and can involve travel for UK touring. The position is unpaid, however food and travel expenses within London (Zones 1 – 2) are provided.<o:p></o:p></span></p><font size="3" face="Times New Roman"> </font><p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"><b><span style='font-family: "Arial","sans-serif"; font-size: 12pt; mso-bidi-font-size: 10.0pt;'><o:p> </o:p></span></b></p><font size="3" face="Times New Roman"> </font><p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"><b><span style='font-family: "Arial","sans-serif";'>To apply:</span></b><span style='font-family: "Arial","sans-serif";'> <o:p></o:p></span></p><font size="3" face="Times New Roman"> </font><p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"><span style='font-family: "Arial","sans-serif";'>Please </span><span style='font-family: "Arial","sans-serif"; mso-ansi-language: EN;' lang="EN">send a <b style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal;">concise</b> <b style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal;">CV</b> with a <b style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal;">covering letter </b>of no more than 300 words, <b style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal;">outlining specifically</b> why you would like to work with EVT to <a href="mailto:admin@electricvoicetheatre.co.uk"><font color="#0000ff">admin@electricvoicetheatre.co.uk</font></a><o:p></o:p></span></p><font size="3" face="Times New Roman"> </font><p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"><span style='font-family: "Arial","sans-serif"; mso-ansi-language: EN;' lang="EN"><o:p> </o:p></span></p><font size="3" face="Times New Roman"> </font><p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"><span style='font-family: "Arial","sans-serif"; mso-ansi-language: EN;' lang="EN">For further information, contact Herbie Clarke on:<o:p></o:p></span></p><font size="3" face="Times New Roman"> </font><p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"><span style='font-family: "Arial","sans-serif"; mso-ansi-language: EN;' lang="EN">Tel: +44 (0)20 7281 0672 Mobile: +44 (0)7710 292 681 <o:p></o:p></span></p><font size="3" face="Times New Roman"> </font><p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"><span style='font-family: "Arial","sans-serif"; mso-ansi-language: EN;' lang="EN">or visit our website at <a href="http://www.electricvoicetheatre.co.uk/"><font color="#0000ff">www.electricvoicetheatre.co.uk</font></a> <o:p></o:p></span></p><font size="3" face="Times New Roman"> </font>

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • <font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Might also be worth bearing this in mind (from InternAware.org):</font><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><br></font></div><div><span style="font-family: Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 16px; line-height: 24px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">Unpaid internships aren’t just wrong; in most cases they are illegal. Under employment law, people who work set hours, do set tasks and contribute value to an organisation are “workers” and are entitled to the minimum wage.</span></div><div><br></div>
  • People are desperate to do internships in big companies under the (mostly) misguided impression that it will lead to a paid job. It generally doesn't. No one who has an internship is going to ask to be paid, they know that they'll be straight out of the door and someone else from the waiting list will take their place. It's exploitative and wrong but sadly people are queuing up to work for nothing as it is the only way to get a foot in the door - especially in the arts world.
  • Intern aware ( gus soudbite) are a infamous group of media whores. Check twitter. In the vet world they are discredited because a) internships (ie work experience) does lead to jobs and b) firms not having them close down losing jobs. So I'm this difficult times its a good thing. Chang
  • Ps this is a typical Sg discussion - liberals stifling enterprise . Yawn. I bet Park theatre will have interns - my Mate would like to be one. Chang
  • I reckon they should round up all the people who don't pay interns and put them in camps.  Internment I think they called it. See if they smile then.  Scumbags.  P.S. Thatcher funeral people can be included. and this is political.
  • The point, Chang, as you are no doubt already aware, is that an internship often is a job, albeit one that some companies would like to avoid paying for.  It's a shitty idea, imported from the US, which discriminates against people who can't count on family (or other) support for their subsistence.  Poorer people, essentially.<div><br></div><div>It should be clamped down upon before it becomes common practice.  InternAware are doing an excellent job of raising awareness and deserve full credit.</div>
  • edited April 2013
    No mate, intern aware are clever-dick self publicists training to be public sector lawyers at your expense, with no interest in economic realities . Try and run a vets practice.... Internships are an effective pragmatic way of stimulating growth which enables tax payers to support the dental bills of serial whingers and Tesco queue misanthropes fart faces like kruezkav Good luck Herbie - ignore this miserable lot! Chang
  • Unpaid internships are now considered to be illegal, according to this article about HMRC investigating companies for "illegal" use of unpaid interns: <br>http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/apr/12/unpaid-interns-100-firms-investigated<br>;
  • How can requiring fluent English be illegal when requiring eg proficiency with Sibelius isn't?<div><br></div><div>Completely agreed re: the evil of unpaid internships, obviously. Allowing the growth of these renders the minimum wage entirely pointless, but then it was only ever gesture politics, without the enforcement backing to make a real difference to the many nasty pieces of work running businesses out there.</div>
  • You lot should get out more. Into the real world. Away from your greased public sector pensions. A good start in a good work area is a great opportunity . Chang
  • I had to do two unpaid internships to get my job, and one was at an organisation that was definitely a) breaking the law in terms of what tasks they wanted me to do and the hours they asked me to work, and b) could definitely have 'found' the money to pay me if they didn't know there was a queue of other young people willing to do the work if I wasn't. It's a crap system, but unfortunately now the de facto way to get into the industry I work in. A few years ago my current job would've been entry level, now people like me with several years' experience are doing it, and it's creating a new young elite of people (like me) whose families live near enough London to commute and can afford to have their children home while they work for nothing to gain the experience.
  • Count your blessings love, and stop moaning. Chang
  • I'm not moaning about my job or having been lucky enough to get the opportunity to gain the experience to get it. What I am saying is that this shouldn't be limited to those who can afford it - interning is still work and you should be paid at least a living wage to do it.