It's going to be LOUD.

edited June 2013 in Local discussion
Well, it's busy in Finsbury Park as they build stages and have clad an area in metal walls. If I'm not mistaken the Stone Roses are coming next weekend.<br>Better stock up on your earplugs. :-)<br><br>Whatever happened to the Rise Festival that always took place in the summer? I used to go with friends to hang out in the sun, enjoying the vibe. <br>

Comments

• Funding issues, wasn't it? <div><br></div><div>Very annoyed at how much of the park is already off-limits on account of a for-profit show, in a week's time, by a band who've been atrocious for almost 20 years (and I'm more charitable about the second album than many).</div>
  • Re thread title: I hope it bloody well isn't.
  • I cycled past the Emirates stadium last night while Green Day's warm up act were on and, although it was loud, it wasn't ear-splitting. The chap is hoping to hear Ian Brown caterwauling from the Parkland Walk. What are the chances?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • <div><br></div><div>I am going on the Saturday!  </div><div>Hope the weather stays nice...</div>
  • Going with the hubby on Saturday and might pop in the Fullback before (if accessible!). Be nice to see a few other local fans :)
  • Yeah, that Kurdish festival was hell. I didn't know what was going on, but the constant yelling really got on my nerves. I don't mind a bit of noise if it's temporary, fine. Try living with my neighbours and anything else is relaxing. <br>
  • The Park looked like it was being militarised today. Astonishing - a full-on festival set up.<div><br></div><div>On the other hand, I do have tickets for the saturday. </div>
  • You think the park will be closed or just restricted access like now?<br>
  • I'm going on the saturday, probably got about 20 friends going from various phases of my life so will be nice to see a lot of people. The fullback will be mobbed. How many people will the park hold?
  • I think it's 40 thousand. Apparently they are only allowed a max of 5 big paid-for gigs per year in the park, which sounds about right. It's nice to see a big name band on your doorstep once in a while (like they did when the Rainbow still existed), but I agree I'd hate it if it ended going the way Hyde Park has with gigs all summer and reduced access locals 
  • I'm with @ADGS - apart from the bit about being charitable. Newroz was fairly loud - and there weren't anything like 40k people singing loudly & badly! I'm going with earplugs, and will be hurling rubbish back at any tosser who throws an empty can over my front hedge. 
  • Can you tape that, Vetski? I'd like to see their faces. Shame though that people do that. Or front garden is constantly littered with other people's rubbish. :-(<br>
  • All the cool kids are going on Saturday. The support bill on the Friday is piss-poor.
  • I'm uncool, too. <br>
  • <div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; font-style: normal;"><span style="font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-serif; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); font-size: 12px; line-height: 16px;">http://www.efestivals.co.uk/festivals/others2013/rosespark</span></div><blockquote style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; margin: 0px 0px 0px 40px; border: none; padding: 0px;"><span style="font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 16px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><i>Friday's guests are Rudimental, The Courteeners, and Dizzee Rascal. </i></span><div><span style="font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 16px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><i><br></i></span></div><div><span style="font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 16px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><i>On Saturday it is Miles Kane, Johnny Marr, and Public Image Ltd.</i></span></div></blockquote><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; font-style: normal;"><span style="font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 16px;"><br></span></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; font-style: normal;"><span style="font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 16px;"><br></span></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; font-style: normal;"><span style="font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 16px;"><br></span></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; font-style: normal;"><span style="font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 16px;">To which I can only say: JOHNNY MARR!!!<br><br></span></div>
  • <p style="margin: 5px 0px; padding: 0px;"><span style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); font-size: 12px; line-height: 19px;"><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"><b>http://www.gigsandtours.com/Content/stone-roses-lineup</b></font></span></p><p style="margin: 5px 0px; padding: 0px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 19px;"><strong style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><br></strong></p><p style="margin: 5px 0px; padding: 0px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 19px;"><strong style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">Friday 7th</strong></p><p style="margin: 5px 0px; padding: 0px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 19px;"><span style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">16:00 - Gates</span></p><p style="margin: 5px 0px; padding: 0px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 19px;"><span style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">17:15 - Rudimental</span></p><p style="margin: 5px 0px; padding: 0px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 19px;"><span style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">17:50 - Changeover</span></p><p style="margin: 5px 0px; padding: 0px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 19px;"><span style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">18:15 - The Courteeners</span></p><p style="margin: 5px 0px; padding: 0px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 19px;"><span style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">18:55 - Changeover</span></p><p style="margin: 5px 0px; padding: 0px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 19px;"><span style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">19:20 - Dizzee Rascal</span></p><p style="margin: 5px 0px; padding: 0px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 19px;"><span style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">20:05 - Changeover</span></p><p style="margin: 5px 0px; padding: 0px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 19px;"><span style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">20:40 - The Stone Roses</span></p><p style="margin: 5px 0px; padding: 0px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 19px;"><span style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">22:30 - Curfew</span></p><span style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><br style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 19px;"></span><p style="margin: 5px 0px; padding: 0px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 19px;"><strong style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">Saturday 8th</strong></p><p style="margin: 5px 0px; padding: 0px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 19px;"><span style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">16:00 - Gates</span></p><p style="margin: 5px 0px; padding: 0px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 19px;"><span style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">17:15 - Miles Kane</span></p><p style="margin: 5px 0px; padding: 0px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 19px;"><span style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">17:50 - Changeover</span></p><p style="margin: 5px 0px; padding: 0px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 19px;"><span style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">18:15 - Johnny Marr</span></p><p style="margin: 5px 0px; padding: 0px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 19px;"><span style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">18:55 - Changeover</span></p><p style="margin: 5px 0px; padding: 0px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 19px;"><span style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">19:20 - Public Image Ltd</span></p><p style="margin: 5px 0px; padding: 0px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 19px;"><span style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">20:05 - Changeover</span></p><p style="margin: 5px 0px; padding: 0px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 19px;"><span style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">20:40 - The Stone Roses</span></p><p style="margin: 5px 0px; padding: 0px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 19px;"><span style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">22:30 - Curfew</span></p>
  • I'm going on Friday, but must admit it seems a bit much quite how much of the park is in lockdown a week before. Hope all the money goes to fixing the mess it will leave and some other stuff that needs improving.<div><br></div><div>I saw them in Manchester last year on the Saturday and they were superb. Much better than I anticipated and the random early comeback gig videos on the internet suggest. It was the band that made it, three great musicians enjoying themselves. Obviously, you can't really hear Ian Brown, mainly due to the crowd singing along but also because he's Ian Brown.</div>
  • It's a big weekend for Changeover.
  • So where do we think we'll get the best sound for those without a ticket? Seven Sisters road itself or the Parkland Walk? Haven't been to the park last week or so, so not sure how much of it is still accessible? 
  • How much of the park is inside the Berlin Wall?  I'd have thought near the kids' playground (up the climbing frame!) would be the best place to listen without a ticket, if it's accessible natch.
  • I think that should be possible. From what I've seen yesterday. Or one could do some workouts in the gym while listening. :-)<br>
  • I walked through today and thought how clean it looked.  The litter pickers were out in force, not sure if they go outside the perimeter as well.   They'd have their job cut out, collecting the, sea of used condoms, tissues, old clothes, shoes, old blankets, beer cans, plastic bags, and barbecue remains in the bushes.   <div><br></div><div>It might actually end up looking better afterwards.</div>
  • Most amused by the map on @poxy';s attachment - if the Stone Roses can be described as 'artistes', it can only be of the 'pisse' variety!
  • @dorothy, outside the park perimeter, beyond the railings, belongs to Network Rail; I don't think the council staff can get access, which is a shame. Maybe we'll try next time we do a community/WI litter pick!
  • edited June 2013
    Yes, I wasn't very clear, I meant the outside of the concert area.    I agree though, there's a lot of rubbish blown through the railings by the railway.   The bit where the old boats and compost bins are, really bothers me.   There's a creepy doll, laying in a boat that's been there for months.   I really notice the stuff, because I follow my dogs who ferret about in the bushes hunting rats, and they get through the railings.   <div><br></div><div>I seem to have turned into one of those mad women in an anorak who pick up rubbish as they walk around, particularly if it's near a bin.  </div>
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Of course, the important nineties revival gig this weekend isn't that tuneless, homophobic ape and his sell-out sidekicks - it's Johnny Dean from Menswear making his live return down the road in Highbury, and that's where I shall be on Friday.<div><br></div><div><br></div>
  • Wasn't it "Menswe@r"? Which on reflection makes no sense. How is that pronounced: "mensweatr"?