World cafe (ex Chapter One)

Comments

• edited June 2013
    I think I'll go with my second theory that they just didn't do their research. Perhaps they set up restaurants like this in the suburbs and they were successful.  Every time I pass it and I see no one there a wave of pity sweeps over me.  However, as MHP states above, the food might be amazing and it would be interesting to receive a review from someone who dared to go in.  I suggest they specialize in South Asian food. There's Jai Krishna but they focus on South Indian vegetarian.  <div><br></div><div>As regards  sitting around moaning all day, I have a full time job.  I don't have the  time to even post on here during the day on weekdays.  </div>
  • Sort of related - why do most local restaurants/shops have such a rubbish online presence? Setting up a facebook page and twitter acount and commenting occasionally here aren't difficult things to do and could really help.
  • That's something else I discussed with Sugar Lounge, but being able to set up a restaurant doesn't mean understanding how to market it. I've discussed it with other restaurants and pubs too, and they simply don't know what to say, or how to turn their business into an online presence. Sigh. <br><br>Back to World Cuisine - what's with the steamed-up windows in the evenings? Is that meant to disguise how empty they are? It makes it look even more unappealing to me... <br>
  • The steam will be generated by the (presumably) vast bain marie/display unit that keeps the food at serving temperature.  
  • It wasn't steamed up for the first few days, which made me wonder if it's a new strategy. <br><br>All that food going to waste, sob. <br>
  • Wanted to go for lunch today. But first a written notice saying no card facility yet, then...it was shut. Local places doing pretty well at that time - Mexican, chipy Etc. and only the tables near the window were set up. Seems to have a death wish. Being back Rocky. Chang
  • If it gets some sort of food hygiene rating I might give it a try... Isn't a restaurant supposed to be inspected by EHOs before it starts serving to the public? This one doesn't even appear on the register!
  • Bad news @ChangN4N6 - I peeked in the window earlier and didn't spot a bar or any bottles on display. <br>
  • You register with the local council at least 28 days before you open and then get an inspection - unannounced - within a couple of months.  That leads to your Scores on the Doors sticker, etc.
  • Went past last night around 9, it was almost comically empty. Two tables each with two people at them, I think one was the staff/owners.
  • Can we all meet there on weds at 7 and act like PDiddy at the cassino ?chang
  • It is sad to see so many people made up their minds without even try this place, at least give them a try and speak to the owners and tell them what you want or the community would like from them.  I am sure they think what they are doing is going to be a success, why dont we help them and welcome them into the community! we don't want to see more business fail we don't want to see more business come and go.<br>
  • edited June 2013
    @feli I almost agree. I'm a shopkeeper's daughter, niece and granddaughter and hate to see high streets struggle. Hell, when I started the Hornsey Road blog back in 2011 it was mostly because I worried Ajani's would fold and I wanted to do something (however minor) to stop that happening. Thing is though, I can't accept that we should think of small businesses as charity cases. Ajani's didn't deserve to stay open because its owner Patrick is a nice man (though he is) but because it's a very very good restaurant/ jazz venue and we are lucky to have it. Same goes for the new organic stall on Hornsey Road or for Vagabond or Jack's or the Hamlet Cafe, or Ash's Fruit and Veg or Tony's butcher's shop or lots of other places that deserve praise and support because they make this a better place to live. Seasons! Dotori! Libertea! Pappagone! VENEZIA!!! If new buffet place turns out to be one of those then great, but if not then it's a waste of community effort to try to keep it afloat, especially when we have so many smart, talented, hard-working people trying to make a business work round here. [Steps off soapbox, hands over microphone]
  • @Mirandola - Cheers you missed us of your list<div>:)</div><div><br></div><div>We went into World Cuisine last week to tell them what people are saying about them as they're here trying to start a business and their product isnt what the people want. I gave them the website for this discussion and I asked them to engage the group..... I told them to speak to their potential customers. They did say they'll pass it on to the boss.</div><div><br></div><div>That was last Wednesday.</div><div>Still waiting for their response.</div><div><br></div><div>Would we eat there? </div><div>What do you think!!</div>
  • Definitely if they decide to turn it into a good Moroccan restaurant! There were 2 on SGR when we moved here & I love Moroccan food. Never been wild about Vietnamese, but do Viet fans know about Au Lac on Highbury Hill? Am told it's pretty good.
  • <a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.stroudgreen.org/profile/feli">@Morefit,</a><br><br>Many apologies. I'd forgotten about Wells Terrace.<br>
  • Please, please a Vietnamese, I'm begging you on my cheese.
  • What's discouraging is that they don't seem to have done much to encourage business or spread the word about it - as @Mirandola raised earlier, they've got no online presence at all, and given how long they worked to get the premises ready, it would have been encouraging to see anything along the lines of press releases, reviews, Facebook page/website/listings, information about what they serve etc. But there are no hits at all for World Kitchen, besides company details. <br><br>Given the number of restaurants in the area, even a basic marketing campaign would get them off to a decent start, and help generate more interest in them, besides this thread which is basically just speculation. <br><br><br>
  • poked my head in here today, still really unfinished <div><br></div><div>buffet area is right in the back so you have to walk through the place just to see it.</div><div><br></div><div>everything has lids on, so you would have to go poking through all the containers/dishes just to see </div><div>a. what is on offer</div><div>b. if you want to eat it</div><div><br></div><div>i didnt bother</div><div><br></div><div>even your bog standard all you can eat chinese/Thai buffets in soho/upper st/wherever all have relatively inviting window displays and visible dishes</div><div><br></div><div><br></div>
  • Stop press. New promotion. "Halal" poster on the window.
  • Looked through the window last night.  Dead.   Grim. This place would be marginally more inviting if they had a paint-drying demonstration.<br>
  • It's either an elaborate (and well-funded) money laundering operation or it's doomed.
  • they were leafleting in finsbury park last night. but they didn't give me one.<br>
  • Maybe they could book some strippers? It worked in the early days of Chapter One, then they went more classy once established a clientele . Chang
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Empty at 9.30pm this evening
  • There is a boozy wedding reception going on now. Packed. So maybe it will work? Chang
  • Looks pretty empty to me, unless they're sitting in the back? <br>
  • Spilling on the pavement when I went past at 2. Maybe they did a runner! Seriously tho, there is a lot of money to be maid from party catering. Chang