I tried out the new bike shop!

edited May 2013 in General chat
Really pleased with the new bike shop, <b>Micycle.</b><div>Don't be put off by the style of bikes in the shop - they're really much keener on fixing your old bike than selling you a new one.</div><div>And instead of just getting my bike fixed - I got it fixed as a lesson  - so I can do it myself next time.</div>

Comments

• If I go in there and just have a coffee will they think I'm odd?  I mean, is the coffee shop aspect of the place just for people who are having something done to their bike?  I'm scared to go in.<br>
  • I've seen other people just go in for coffee. Its a very relaxed shop- very friendly. First time I went in just to ask about using the workshop - didn't even have a bike with me It's a shop - shops like people going in
  • edited May 2013
    Had my bike fixed in there and can recommend. Very friendly, and as Carpo says, advise on fixing/ maintaining/ renewing parts rather than trying to sell you a new bike. I think the coffee is to try to attract more regular drop-in check-ups for your bike, rather than leaving it till several things are bust (which is what I do).
  • Totally agree with the above. When I dropped in the chap was very friendly and fixed my wibbly headset for free (I had gone in with the intention of signing up for the membership thingy, but it wasn't yet set up). <div><br></div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt;">Had some cracking shortbread too.</span></div>
  • I'd like to add my vote for Micycle.<div><br></div><div>I have a bit of an odd bike (rubber belt drive) and after Mosquito, the original supplier, stopped carrying the brand and stopped wanting to service my bike, I was at a bit of a loss.</div><div><br></div><div>The chaps in Micycle wer incredibly welcoming, knew their stuff and charged very reasonably.</div><div><br></div><div>So good was their service that I took an old Raleigh that I keep for guests in for a service.</div><div><br></div><div><br></div>
  • Sounds cool, Hadron Cycles on Hornsey Road comes with a big recommendation from me.<div><br></div><div>Where is Micycle?</div>
  • ...but not from me Micycle is on ferme park road, next to the Nicholas nickleby
  • Why don't you like Hadron?
  • Just my experience - but I don't want to vent my spleen on here. And I'm not sure it's fair to.
  • Wow, so diplomatic. Gives me some faith in humanity.<div><br></div><div>I like the guys myself, they've always done a good job with my bike.</div>
  • I don't think I've <i>ever</i> been called diplomatic!<div><div>I think I'll tell all my colleagues - give them something to laugh about.</div><div><br></div><div>thanks Bigjock!<br><div><br></div></div></div>
  • <P>For all those Hornsey Road side I can highly recommend Clever Mike just had bike number 3 serviced there. David the owner has set up the business in his dads factory (Danor - 465 Hornsey Road) and does really good services for half the price of Evans or Hadron. Efficient no crap, if you don't need it he won't sell it to you and he's extremely personable. Highly reccomended</P> <P>http://www.clevermike.co.uk/ </P>
  • I can not recommended Micycle enough. Best bike shop I have ever been to.
  • Been to Micycle today, too. Had a puncture and needed a new tube. Alex got to work immediately, and while I watched, he kindly explained to me how to do it myself (I asked him to) and, on top of it, realised that my headset was too high, so lowered it and adjusted the brakes.<br><br>He also makes absolutely wonderful coffee, even if he thinks I only said it because they had a coffee training. <br><br>Reasonably priced, super friendly and very quick. Big thumbs up from me. <br>
  • I bought my bike from Evans and was entitled to a 7 week free service which I took advantage of. From now on I'll be sticking to independent shops though.  
  • If you buy and new bike from any shop and need to 'take advantage' of a 7-week free service ... Sounds like they don't have a lot of trust in their bikes. :-)<br><br>I bought my MTB new five years ago and hardly had any problems. Only the normal wear and tear. It's still going strong, even though I don't use it for the time being.<br><br>That said. Had I not fallen in love with my racer last month, I would have bought one online, I guess. Glad I didn't because I'd hate to think of my bike still sitting in that dark cellar, being unloved. Recycling for cycling. <br><br><br>
  • <P>They put it as a "breaking in" period. </P> <P> </P> <P>There wasn't much needed, just an adjustment on the rear brakes and a slight tuning on the gears.</P>
  • Ah, okay. Sounded like you had several things wrong. Anyway, happy riding. Hope the weather stays like this and may the bikes continue to go without any faults for a long time. Nothing worse than leaving the house just to find you have a puncture. <br>
  • My bike's back in the capable hands of Alex at Micycle. Needs a new spoke and they'll shorten the chain. He noticed it needed shortening last time, but also said it'll be fine for the time being. Now I'll get it done with the spoke replacement. <br><br>Again, super friendly service and great coffee. <br>
  • the '7 week' service is mainly to re-index gears and tighten up brakes after your cables have stretched to their working length.<div><br></div><div><br></div>
  • Cheers, Carpo. <br><br>Had to stop by at Micycle again today as my left crank came loose when racing in Regent's Park. Alex, as usual, swiftly took care of it and even threw in a new (old) crank as the one I had was worn out. They had a few people coming in and they seem busy in general. Very nice to see them being appreciated. <br>
  • Thought I'd give this a bump and another shout out to the guys at Micycle. Pestered them today for a while, had a coffee and watched customer come in and leave satisfied. Always a good atmosphere in there and they are quick and thorough. <br>