Are you too scared to cycle in London?

Comments

• Well, I'm currently riding a 1976 bike and I certainly was around in 1985. :-) Unfortunately, not in the UK. <br>What make was it? I don't know much yet, but I'm getting the grips on everything. Have just bought another frame, so I can build a racer from scratch. Also a Viscount. <br><br>Personally, I think if you feel unsafe, you're not trusting yourself. If you use your eyes, your ears, and your common sense, you should be find on the roads. (Universal you.) Of course, experience and being familiar with your bike and your ability plays a huge part. I was put on a bike as a child and cycled ever since as I'm from a bike city with cycling lanes and all that. Even back then, I preferred a bike to public transport. In every weather.<br>I'd be more scared to drive here, but that's more because of my poor sense of direction. With a bike, I can just stop and hop onto the pavement to check, that's a little difficult in a car. Still, I'd love to try it.<br>
  • I just started cycling to work again this week, I forgot how much better it is than taking the tube!<div>Arriving at work and home again having had a bit of a workout and having not spent the previous 40 minutes getting really annoyed with people! Love it!</div>
  • Yogamuffin: yay! Love hearing those stories. <br>
  • @Stella ; It was a Falcon I think - about '74ish with Reynolds 531 tubing ?  I stripped all the logos when it was new and it went from metallic green & black to electric blue, then purple, then white - had lots of saddles black,white,red and mudguards black,orange,silver etc.  and a proper saddle bag.  I trust myself on any vehicle with 2,4, 6 or whatever number of wheels - I don't find a bike exhilirating as transport as others do and the industry that has crept up around cycling, not the sport,  never fails to amaze me. £50 quid for a lock, £50 for a helmet etc. etc.<br>
  • Seems you were really into cycling once. <br><br>re the industry: well, if you're a bit smart you can get locks for less. I have one of those massive chains and got me a padlock for a tenner. It's all quite rubbish anyway; no lock's really safe. Someone with a bit of experience can get it open within three minutes. But, they're there to put thieves off. As for a helmet: I have a simple solution for myself: I don't wear one. :-)<br>
  • edited June 2013
    Stella - wow! you don't wear a helmet? you must feel very confident with yourself to trust other road users as not to wear one. <div><br></div><div>I have known wearing a helmet to help save at least 2 cyclists lives. </div><div><br></div><div>I don't think wearing a helmet should be made compulsory though. </div>
  • Yep, I'm rather confident. In myself and my abilities to think for others. Doesn't always work 100%, but I cycle more carefully on roads I've never been on, for example. However, that'll probably not be enough; if someone's really erratic, shooting out of a side street into the main road, there's nothing I can do anymore. I've never cycled with a helmet. <br><br>Incidentally: for those of you who like to fiddle/build bikes, there's a bike jumble at Muswell Hill tomorrow from 9am to 1pm. St.Mary with St.George Parish Hall. Corner of Park Road & Cranley Gdns, Muswell Hill. <br>
  • Gah, I'm always away when the bike jumble is on, probably for the best mind, I really have no more room for bike bits... ;(
  • I was crossing a road yesterday when someone on a bike jumped a red light I almost threw my bike at him called him all the names under the sun at the top of my voice. He stopped got off his bike and walked towards me. Got close said nothing got back on his bike and buggered off. Bloody coward.
  • Did he think you were small because you were far away?
  • edited June 2013
    Yogamuffin, you don't happen to have any Lambert/Viscount bits lying around? HF hubs in particular? :-)<br>
  • Detritus: and you wonder why I said you're scary. :-)<br>
  • I saw Lambert/Viscount and though you were talking fags and mint/orange chocolate coated biscuits.
  • Ahahaha. Yes, those chocolate/orange biscuits are quite special, too. :-)<br>
  • Spotted a speedy @Stella this morning!
  • Huh? On the way to the park? <br>
  • Yes, at about 10.40am You looked very intent!
  • edited June 2013
    Were you peeking out of the window? (Btw: that wasn't fast, unless you saw me going downhill. haha)<br><br>I was on the way to the PACT meal to do some cooking. Ended up lettuce picking instead as they didn't get any food from the stores. :-(<br><br>.<br>
  • No, I was in the car as you whizzed past - junction of Oxford Rd/UTP. I saw a tweet from Jo Homan earlier, she was very pleased with the PACT event; what was the meal, if no food from stores?
  • We had some stuff brought by one of the volunteers, frozen vegetables mainly and plenty of greens from the garden on-site. Oh, and the girl, who organised it, brought bread and butter pudding. <br>
  • No racing for Stella for the time being. My bike has a major 'injury' and needs some fixing. Quite gutted. But we're onto it, finding spindle for the bottom bracket or an equivalent. I'm thinking of getting me a new bike which will not break every two days, while I restore the Viscounts. Once they're back to their old self with new (old) components, they should last for at least another 40 years.<br>
  • I had my first cycle in London after a break of about 20 years. To help me build my confidence and competence as a cyclist, I got in touch with the local council to see what they had on offer. The council offered free bikeability courses. What a HUGE help they were. The first course lasted about 2 hours and took place on a basketball court. It covered all the basics of using a bike, emergency breaking, signalling and generally support with riding the bike confidently. The second session focussed on using the skills practised in the first course on the road. The instructor was really great and I became a confident cyclist in a very short amount of time. If you live in Islington and not confident in riding, give it a try... http://www.islington.gov.uk/services/parking-roads/roadsafety/training/Pages/Courses.aspx
  • Lucile: that's wonderful to hear. Glad you're back on the bike and enjoying the benefits of cycling. <br>I'm back on the road, too. Couldn't live without a bike I can't use and bought me another Viscount. My collection is getting bigger. I need at least one bike I can cycle on while I do the other ones up. <br>Did a lot of walking today and hated it. Not that I hate walking in general, but when I want to be somewhere and get lost, I hate that I'm wasting valuable time (and I walk fast). Was really glad when I sat on a saddle again on the way home.<br>
  • I am contemplating purchasing a bike and am very nervous about cycling in London. I commute to Old Street via train every day now so it is very manageable for distance.<div><br></div><div>I have never driven in the UK (from the right-hand driving U.S. originally) so I think that adds to my neurosis.</div><div><br></div><div>Anyone recommend a good bike shop? How is Finsbury Cycles on Seven Sisters Road?</div><div><br></div>
  • <P>Misscara likes Finsbury Cycles, but I don't.</P> <P>If you're in Old Street, Cyclelab are nice and friendly (they regularly get rid of my niggly sqeaks and clicks in return for a slice of cake)  and Look Mum No Hands are very efficient and also friendly (although they seem to try to upsell a lot).</P>
  • I'm not a fan of Finsbury Cycles either due to bad service they gave my bike that made my gears worse, I took it back twice and thy slightly improved them but then had to take my bike to Hadron Cycle on Hornsey Rd for a proper service. 
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Davidfinsbury: You're an ideal candidate for me. I'd like to become a cycling coach, helping people to get confident on the road. It's really not that scary when you know what to look out for. But first you need to become familiar with your bike (once you've bought one). <br><br>I can't recommend a shop to buy bicycles, for I never bought one in a shop. I quite like Finsbury Cycles and Micyle in Ferne Park Road. They're honest, straight-forward people.<br><br>Send me a message if you'd like me to 'coach' you. I won't charge for it, just want to do it to see if you'd feel as secure with me as my friend did. Perhaps it's good to meet up for a coffee first. <br>
  • @Misscara, @Stella - thank you both! I'll be purchasing a bike in the next couple of weeks so consider this a warning that you will likely be hearing from me.<div><br></div><div>I think it would definitely help if I had driven a car before in the UK so ultimately it is about getting out there and just doing it... without getting myself killed.</div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div>