Stapleton Tavern is closing

2»

Comments

• <p>@hlossi </p><p>It is for real I'm afraid. I've just had an email from Anthony at Antic, for your interest all:</p><p><span style='color: rgb(31, 73, 125); font-family: "Calibri","sans-serif"; font-size: 11pt;'>"We are indeed looking at our options for The Stapleton, with us leaving the pub being a distinct possibility. There are a number of reason for us to consider this move and in no particular order these are as follows:</span></p><p class="MsoNormal"><span style='color: rgb(31, 73, 125); font-family: "Calibri","sans-serif"; font-size: 11pt;'></span><span style='color: rgb(31, 73, 125); font-family: "Calibri","sans-serif"; font-size: 11pt;'>The pub is on a tied lease with Greene King and it is very difficult for us to make any money out of operating it due to the costs of the tie. Ultimately as we do not own the building, it is difficult to justify spending quite large sums on further improving the pub to improve it as we would wish.<u></u><u></u></span></p><p class="MsoNormal"><span style='color: rgb(31, 73, 125); font-family: "Calibri","sans-serif"; font-size: 11pt;'>We have purchased a freehold in Crouch End and whilst this is some way distant from Crouch Hill, it seems to make more sense investing our efforts into a premises over which we have full control and ownership.</span></p><p class="MsoNormal"><span style='color: rgb(31, 73, 125); font-family: "Calibri","sans-serif"; font-size: 11pt;'></span><span style='color: rgb(31, 73, 125); font-family: "Calibri","sans-serif"; font-size: 11pt;'>We have been at The Stapleton for some years now and having brought it to life, we will be very sad to leave. These old things very quickly become part of the family, but we need to be pragmatic about the future and recognise when it might be time to hand over the reins. "</span></p>
  • So in the year and a half since I started seeing my bf and not spending most of my time (and money) in SGR, my two former favourite haunts (Sugar Lounge and Stapleton) have closed down. Coincidence?<br>
  • The Danzi Bar should come back....qualitee... Chang
  • I didn't get barred, just got fed up waiting 5 mins to be served and went across the road. As I understand it the Antic split their holdings in two and put the pubs they had leased into administration, keeping the ones that they owned. Seems pretty smart to me. Sure someone with more liquidity and, hoprfully, more attentive staff will take over.
  • Danzi Bar returns
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I also got very dispirited waiting over a whole five minutes for a drink in there.   I believe it's the design of the bar, not just inattentive staff.
  • There are times when five minutes without a drink is a whole lifetime
  • It was only in the last months when the service went downhill so it isn't the bar. <div><br></div><div>As has been said the bar staff aren't much cop. Several times I've waited at the bar while they're chatting to eachother and hugging their mates down the other end of the bar. </div><div><br></div><div>The Dairy can be piss poor service wise too :(</div><div><br></div><div>I just want a fucking pint</div>
  • Most local pubs are awful at service. They employ local people who have local friends who like to hang out with their mates. Then there are the regulars who like to sit at the bar and have a chat and the people who want to stand at the bar to chat up the staff. I rarely use the pubs in SG these days but service seems to depend on managers. When lovely Adam was at the Dairy it was splendid, and Beth made all the difference at the Stapleton.
  • Is it true that the Stapleton has been given another week's grace?<br>
  • @krappyrubsnif I was wondering that too - according to one of the earlier posts, it sounds like it won't be closing till next Sunday?<br>
  • I hope not, this is getting serious. Chang
  • I phoned them up on Sunday and they told me they are closing this Sunday on the 23rd..I am still gutted...Ouf
  • Went past the Stapleton last night at about 7pm and it was closed, with a sign on every window. I was on the W3 though so couldn't read what the sign said. <div><br></div><div>Can anyone shed any light? Is it closed for good now?</div>
  • Its open again and I think the issue is Greene King trying to up the rent. If it closes it will only open in another guise still selling inferior corporate fizz. 
  • It is open and I am there now. Well accept drinks.
  • Rumour is they've sorted the lease deal out and it's remaining open.
  • was open tonight :)
  • Keep us informed. This is key. Chang