Rescue Chickens

edited June 2013 in Local discussion
Hi all Just wondering if anyone has kept/ is keeping chickens in their backyard? We are thinking of getting a coop and about 3 rescue chickens. Keen to hear others experiences. Cheers

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Hi Misscara, indeed have given this a lot of thought. There are some great blogs around with lots of great advice on how to bet set up to protect your chooks. So been taking some good tips on how to set he coop up from there.
  • <P>My downstairs neighbours in my last flat, Tollington Way, kepts some hens and a cockerel.</P> <P>Neighbour built a sturdy coop under the fire escape - solid wood fence sunk into concrete one side, proper strong fencing metal mesh the other side, with a door in it and corrugated iron under the stairs. I watched a fox unsuccessfully try to get in for an hour.</P> <P>The one issue was the horrendous noise from the cockerel at dawn. This was cured by lowering the roof of his sleeping quarters - they can only crow if they can stretch their neck fully upright. There was enough height for him to have a stretch and do all the normal chicken stuff but not the full morning fandango.</P>
  • A splendidly QI bit of info - I'd never given any thought to how cockerels crow! Thanks for that, Annie!
  • edited December 2017