SG is just *so* dull after 11pm

So. Coming home from theatre at 11.00. All you want to do is find a nice bar, a glass of wine, maybe a little snack, share your thoughts and read the programme, before home. But no. Everywhere decent on SGR is closed. Petek - closed. Cats - closed. Sugar Lounge - driven out of business by moaning nimby neighbours. Nowhere town. I fucking hate England. Sigh.

Comments

• @ KRS.  Would you like to live by a noisy late night bar?  And they do crop up on quiet streets.
  • No. But I sure know how to wind somebody up. :-)
  • Anyway, drinking a quiet noggin and reading the theatre programme is not usually an anti social activity.....
  • edited July 2013
    Thought so. Sadly England is full of people who when drunk shout their heads off and don't sit at an outside table chatting and having a quiet glass of wine.  If you want that, move to Europe.  <div><br></div><div>As someone who's lived in very civilized parts of Europe where bars are open all hours it's very sad and I agree with you on your original premise.  Sad London and England.</div>
  • <P>I like the UK.</P> <P>I agree with KRS that it can be a little frustrating post 11pm, but a night in the pub can be much more fun than a po faced passeggiata which culminates in a gelato and a digestivo to round the night off.</P> <P>It's just different. Personally I think the pavement cafe concept on a road like SGR is grisly.</P> <P> </P>
  • I love the idea of sitting outside a cafe/bar in the warmth of the summer at night, but I don't think it's practical. At least not in an area like this. I'd go mad if there were five tables filled with people talking over a glass of wine. I think people sitting in an cafe, even talking quietly don't realise how much their voices echo in the middle of the night. <br>In Bremen (Germany) they have restaurants/cafes with 'after theatre menus', so people can come at 11pm and have something to eat and drink, etc. But when it comes to outside tables, they have the same arguments when it's a residential area. I recall one particular place that was threatened to be shut down year after year after year. <br><br>I agree, though, that it's a little tricky to find something with atmosphere after 11pm. My friend and I just went to the World's End after the play, had a tequila as 'one for the road', then went home.<br><br>In an ideal world, I'd love to have an 'after theatre' or even 'I just want to enjoy the mild summer night' in Finsbury Park. I find it sad that they close the parks in the evenings, but that's probably, once again, because of the proximity to the residential area.<br>
  • I'm in bed by nine at the mo, but in theory I'd love a late night place that: Was hard to find - so no random blunderers in after chucking out time Did proper old-fashioned cocktails (gin martini, whisky sour, irish coffee, mint julep, anything you could imagine Philip Marlowe drinking) Did not sell appletinis or suchlike. Didn't do food Played a lot of Charlie Parker Had low, flattering lighting Had a lot of comfortable seats - sod vertical drinking Didn't have a daft/snobbish door policy. I have thought about this too much
  • edited July 2013
    The park is open all night actually, all year round @Stella.  I think they only shut the Oxford Road gate when there's an event on, but the Endymion Road entrance is always open.   The gym is open late and the track is open two nights a week with the flood lights on, so there are often people around, and quite a few cyclists come through.   When there's a football match on, sometimes the park is bright with flood lights, full of parked up coaches and police on horses.   I often go out late to the park to walk my dogs.   It's beautiful in winter, and not really that scary.   In the summer, there's quite a lot of teenagers hanging out.    I was once told to be careful and go home, by the police who were cruising around, but I've not really had any incidents, in fact I've had more trouble in the day in the park and parkland walk than at night.
  • @krappy - The White Lion's open til 12. You could have a nice glass of wine, no snack (last food orders at 10), read your programme, get into a fight and then go home. Perfect evening.<br>
  • Dorothy: oh wow! I didn't know. Clissold Park was always closed and I was told that parks close. Ha! Very good to know. Thank you. Not that I'm aiming to spend my nights in the park, but at least it's a wrong information corrected. :-)<br>
  • Is the dairy open till midnight (1am on a weekend) I think?
  • <P>I think the Cafe Bar at the Park Theatre has a late licence. the website says it's open 'til late' Tuesdays through Saturdays.</P> <P>@KRS - I hear you but driven out of business by moaning neighbours or idiots who can hold their drink or their tongues? To me, it's less a case of the lack of places to go late in the evening but a lack of clientele like you who want a drink, a bite to eat and some nice conversation. It seems it's only people who want ten drinks and to be able to scream and carry on in the streets.</P>
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Or a deckchair and a can from the offie sat by the 'green' outside Vagabond<br>
  • But SG not so dull before 10am. Today outside White Lion pub a crowd of layabouts and others downing there 2nd pint. Makes you wonder . And why same place can't serve working people at midnight? - more civilised . Chang
  • @ChangN4N6 how do you know they are layabouts and not just people who work nights or similar?
  • Even if you get the last tube home and fancy a kebab - nothing is open except that one filthy chicken place that I refuse to use.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • They were wearing tshirts. Chang