World cafe (ex Chapter One)

Comments

• edited July 2013
    This place empty again despite special offers galore n bring you own booze posters. Entertainment is the latest ploy. It feels a bit desperate. Muswell Hill just got a Carluccios. Chang
  • Only been to the verdant Greek place in Crouch End once, but I was very impressed - so many extra bits and bobs for free (meaning we had no chance of finishing, having ordered as much as we thought we wanted), and a lovely atmosphere. Not everything was to my taste, true, but then I'm a right fussy sod.
  • Meanwhile, back on the ranch (so to speak), World Cuisine is no longer offering Chinese food, Italian food or its special offer. <br><br>Dang. <br>
  • <P>So, what are they offering?</P> <P>Does WC rate as the most spectacular commerical failure ever on SGR?</P> <P>Is it about to go down the pan?</P>
  • I must say much tho I want it succeed I can't bring myself to go in and gobble a tandoori noodle sushi burger with chips and side order of snails. I can see how it does well for weddings etc but not for a normal meal. The music promotion also seemed unattractive - country (surely that is American not international?) Chang
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited December 2017
  • If I was trying to make a go of that place I think I'd relaunch as a faux American burger place. Good but not high end Wagyu nonsense, affordable (and dimly lit) enough for teenagers to go on a date or meet their mates. Something like The Diner in Islington, not gourmet and not trash.
  • Though we do already have a diner-ish place in the works... dim sum would be nice.
  • edited December 2017
  • @ Joe, agree with you on the over-saturation of Stroud Green with restaurants.  Three restaurants in a row seems crazy and there must be about 15-20 on SGR.  Recession? <div><br></div><div>@ Annie, good idea but pity the locals (it's bad enough when school groups go into Porchetta, not complaining as it's just now and then) who had to put up with Chapter One (post 2007) and then Sugar Lounge (Bee time). It's remarkable that despite the heatwave it's not that noisy on that stretch anymore.  </div>
  • The rents there must be quite high. What we need is a Boots or Smiths. Doubt they would fail.
  • The Cafe Ole Pera next door is doing incredibly well. Having full frontal opening in hot weather has helped. I note that they have put brown sauce and ketchup on every table so they seem to be reinventing as a British greasy spoon for breakfast. Coffee is awful mind.
  • I thought it was an exotic place with menu to match? Brown sauce seems out of plaice in a sophisticated place. Or it's it different in the morning like Zjenny's Chang
  • Sign in the window of WC says it's closed for three weeks for a refurb. Will re-open as an Indian buffet.
  • Something like Masala Zone is good and would work. Chang
  • A 50s style American diner, brightly lit with shiny bright things on the walls selling burgers and milkshakes would be nice :)
  • Pancakes and maple syrup for breakfast!<br>
  • Curry n chips . Oh no, we already had that. Chang
  • Really good burgers *sighs happily*<br>
  • What about a tiny little cinema showing amazing indie/foreign films to small audiences on benches with cushions, who've paid a fiver for the pleasure? Something with a sort-of pop-up vibe to it. I'd bloody go. Better than reheated Tikka Masala...<br>
  • Agreed. By the way, are you connected to the Shaftesbury pub?
  • Yes. Contrast to OM in Fonthill. Cinema round here no good tho. Ppl hate films . Chang
  • There's a Curzon opening in Crouch End soon, that might fulfil the indie/foreign films brief. I doubt they will sell tikka masala though.
  • It's not a Curzon opening in CE - the old Music Palace is being re-furbed to provide theatre, live music and <br>films and have arranged for Curzon films to be shown online.  No tikka massala in plan but you carrot cake ,panini and wraps are a safe bet.<br>
  • Tom, the chap who is doing this, is very good at organising top notch cabaret and productions. If you're at Latitude this weekend you can visit his 'Boom Tish' event.
  • Why are such people always called Tom? Or Ben? Chang