Rub - Slow Food & Milk Bar

Comments

• Osteria Tufo is more expensive
  • Pulled pork is more exciting than anything, ever.<br>
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • <a href="http://www.stroudgreen.org/discussion/comment/10773">The great Stroud Green Road Hanoi Grill Vietnamese restaurant saga</a><br>
  • edited July 2013
    Hanoi could have had 5 years' worth of decent trade by now. At least my use of apostrophe's has improved since the summer of 2008
  • Misscara, you haven't seen the way I pull pork.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • <P>Just got a message from them, they are opening this week, hopefully tomorrow.</P>
  • Rub opens tomorrow....
  • What's it like then? Saw a few customers scoffing.
  • C'mon Poxy, tell all.
  • It's not perfect but, it's pretty damned close. The food is bloody great. It's a fantastic addition to SGR. Somebody did their homework and pitched it just right.
  • what did you have? menu looked good if a little limited on mains. Seemed to be more about milkshakes and desserts but all sounded amazing <prepares to let belt out a notch><div><br></div>
  • edited July 2013
    We split a pulled pork and jerk chicken, each with rice. Both cooked and flavoured well (spicy without being overpowering). We had two sides as well: sauerkraut with (homemade, I think) pickles and jerked beans. All really, really good. We split one vanilla milkshake: good. The bill came to £22. Bargain. We'll be back and we'll be back soon.
  • Anyway, I like the Rub/Season school of menus. Keep it short but, do it well.
  • Do you think if would be okay to take a baby there? At lunch and with baby hopefully asleep...
  • Two thumbs up for Rub, coming from a Texan. Meat cooked well. Laid back and family friendly. A good meal out.
  • Good enough to be on Man vs Food?
  • Maybe Maureen Lipman should go to the World Cafe/was Chapter One? Chang
  • Any veggie options? Or just sides?
  • Sounds great, does it sell booze as well?<br><br>That menu says cold beer to me not milkshake.<br>
  • Unlicensed (currently, maybe theres one in the pipeline)<div><br></div><div>Its a little strange format, i think they're going for the teenage friends / dates market, and should clean up as a result. From what i could see y<span style="font-size: 10pt;">ou have to pay up front (like in a pub..) and put your tick box order in at the counter. </span><span style="font-size: 10pt;">But its definitely a sit down restaurant, which makes paying in advance just weird. </span></div><div>what if i want another drink or dessert - do you have to visit the counter each time and pay?</div><div><br></div><div><br></div>
  • They do that at one of the 'gourmet' burger places... GBK? It's a tad annoying.  Menu looks ace though.<br>
  • <i><span style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">From what i could see y</span><span style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-size: 10pt; font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; vertical-align: baseline; line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">ou have to pay up front (like in a pub..) and put your tick box order in at the counter.</span></i><div><i><span style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-size: 10pt; font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; vertical-align: baseline; line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><br></span></i></div><div><span style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-size: 10pt; font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; vertical-align: baseline; line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">All the kids love the Nandos way</span></div>
  • <P>@tomp Like I said: it's not perfect. The paying-up front thing was one niggle.  The other being the "Highbury N5" sign hanging on the wall!</P> <P>Anyway, I think they have done a fantastic job in Rub.  Every place needs to get into its stride.  Give it a couple of weeks and I'm sure it will become a local favourite.   </P>
  • That 'Highbury N5' nonsense will not stand.  What are they, an estate agent?<br><br>That said, I noticed a house for sale on Ashley Road being advertised as being in Stroud Green.  Not a ridiculous claim, but I did think it said something about the current cachet of SG over Crouch End and 'Crouch Hill'.  Maybe people will stop pretending that Crouch Hill is a neighbourhood, as opposed to a train station and a road.<br>
  • edited July 2013
    Highgate Slopes is my favourite for Archway,<br><br>They should make Rub BYO that would work.<br><br>Stroud Green's prime market is grown-ups - they like a drink with their meal.<br><br>Dhonia has loads more people eating in since they did it there.<br>
  • Closed at lunchtime today. Maybe people don't date at lunchtime. Or they're still pulling the pork.