Rub - Slow Food & Milk Bar

Comments

• Planning to go next week. But may take my own veg, never mind the booze!
  • I was in RUB half an hour after they opened and had a vanilla milkshake & cheesecake - both lovely! Dunno if they have a licence though? The savoury food looks like it's begging to be washed down with a beer...<br>
  • Couldn't one get a beer from Jack's?
  • I wondered if it was BYO - I couldn't see anything about it on the menu. Jack's does indeed do a fine range of beers! <br>
  • But Arkady, what is Ashley Rd? It is not really Crouch End or Stroud Green. I often say by Crouch Hill as describing where it is. Postal services use Upper Holloway on the address which doesn't make much sense either.....
  • Good question Tordie. Regulars will know I'm a tad nerdy on this subject, so here we go:<br><br>Last year, during the initial boost of enthusiasm around the Localism Act, there were a number of attempts to set up local Neighbourhood Forums. One aspect of this was the (continuing) prospect that vague and ever-shifting 'neighbourhood' boundaries in London might finally be set down in legislation.<br><br>I think it's fair to say, broadly speaking, that the areas most in need of Neighbourhood Forums are the more neglected and least integrated parts of town, who sadly are therefore least likely to have active members showing up and actually making the Forum happen.<br><br>I mention this because of the curious case of Crouch Hill. Someone in that area pushed rather hard for a Crouch Hill Neighbourhood Forum. I attended some of the events while they tried to get this established. they had help from a government-funded agency. Some of you may recall the 'Crouch Hill: Up or Down?' posters. At one event, they had a huge map of our bit of north London up on the wall, from Highgate to Harringay, and from Crouch Hill to Finsbury Park. They asked attendees to put a coloured sticker onto the map that showed where they lived. The colours were associated with which name they thought most applied to their area. <br><br>Two things particularly struck me. One was that about half of the attendees came from outside the proposed Forum area (broadly between Eltham Park in the West and Holly Park in the east, with the Parkland Walk in the North and the Overground line in the south). Then other was that, of those who did live in the area, only a handful considered themselves to live in 'Crouch Hill'. The majority associated themselves with neighbouring areas (lots of Stroud Greeners on Trinder and Shaftesbury Roads, lots of CrouchEnders throughout). The majority of those few that did consider the area to have a distinct identity chose 'Hornsey Rise', and considered the stretch of Hornsey Road near the Shaftesbury to be their high street. In the end I think the name 'Hornsey Rise and Crouch Hill Neighbourhood Forum' was chosen, but I haven't seen any activity since last year.<br><br>My conclusion - and it seems to be central to the Localism agenda too - is that a 'neighbourhood' needs some sort of centre, ideally a high street, to give it coherence. Stroud Green has this, and that is partly why the Stroud Green 'identity' crosses so far west towards the Hornsey Road despite the 'left bank' of the Stroud Green Road not consistently being considered to be part of SG, historically. <br><br>Crouch Hill does not have this. The station has never been a sufficient commuter centre to influence local identity. The road has no shops, save at the the Stroud Green end where it is a) the historical centre of SG b) the physical continuation of SGR and c) was part of the Stroud Green Road at least as far as the railway line until renamed in the C20th.<br><br>So I don't know. Maybe best divvy-up the area between Stroud Green and Upper Holloway along the 'Highcroft Road-Ormond Road Line' and have done with it.<br><br>I've definitely thought about this too much.
  • @Arkady In my head you're Leonard Hofstadter. This is a good thing.<br>
  • Thanks for that Arkady. I also think that as an ex Florence Rd and ex Stroud Green Rd dweller and regular user of Stroud Green Rd and Finsbury Park tube I feel like I belong in Stroud Green and enjoy this forum. Although, my kids are at school in Crouch End so regularly over the hill that way too.... I enjoy being able to walk into whichever area and both high streets have different offers. either way, looking forward to trying out Rub!
  • The veggie option is more expensive than the meat. That says more about the quality of the meat than the price of the mushrooms.<br>
  • @Idoru - Sadly more like Sheldon I fear. <br><br>I went in tonight.  Looked fun.  They do takeaway, which is what I was after, but they only had jerk chicken and pork left (at 9:30).  They seemed a bit panicky about it, so I let them be and figured I'd try again at the weekend.  I didn't see an N8 sign, but they had chalked up an amusing quip about it being a former Dixie Chicken which I thought rather droll.<br>
  • We went with some friends last night. Good quality food, nice decor and atmosphere + very reasonable. It's definitely a good addition to the area that I am looking forward to seeing develop. Only complaint is that the delicious milkshakes seemed too small - half pint glasses rather than big Coke glasses or metal ones you would expect - for £3.25. Also they are really missing a trick by not serving alcohol. The (quite spicy) jerk chicken is crying out to be washed down with a cold beer or an alcoholic milkshake. My friend wanted to go elsewhere because she couldn't have a white wine spritzer.
  • Anyone know their opening hours? Can't find a phone number anywhere...<br>
  • they seem to open about 5 or 6pm
  • Yes I went there today, they opened just before six. Got takeaway, it was really nice. Lamb with rice, slaw and jerk beans. Street-stall style food.<br><br>They're finding their feet with the takeaway setup - didn't have bags or proper tops for the sides, but the staff and vibe are friendly.<br>
  • 3 of us ate there last night.<div><br></div><div>Perfect post pub food, they catered for my fussy ate who couldn't eat bread or rice. But agree the milkshake could've been a bit bigger. And I could have done with another beer, but all in all, better than Dixie chicken and a welcome addition.</div>
  • Ate in there yesterday. Was alright and makes a nice change to the usual stuff on offer. <div><br></div><div>Agree about the need for an alcohol license or being able to bring your own. </div><div><br></div><div>Milkshake was nice, chicken was good too. </div><div><br></div><div>Not sure about the whole coupon to order what you want though. </div>
  • When is World Cafe/Chapter one reopening. ??! Keen to see what treats they have in store... Chang
  • Afraid I'll have to be a minor dissenting voice. Guessing I'm not the target market, and they've just opened. But... Decor is terrible. Just no clue what is going on. Not an enjoyable place to spend time. Music - does anyone want to listen to 'The Can Can' on a Wurlitzer? Unlikely. That's what was playing this evening. Food was alright, but probably the worst BBQ I've had in recent years tho. Im measuring against Pitt Cue and Fette Sau, and even Dukes in Dalston. I don't think this was much of a step up from Grannies place on the row of shops by Vagabond. The meat wasn't of any discernible quality (the lamb especially) and the rice was barely heated. Brioche with the pulled pork was alright. Pulled pork was ok. Again, nothing worth visiting again for. Jerk beans were pretty good tho. I honestly felt I'd walked into the wrong place after reading all these reasonably positive reviews. Staff were lovely and friendly. No beer/byob is the killer tho. Can't say I'll be adding it to the small list of places in SG that are worthy of repeat business.
  • "Small list of places in SG that are worthy of repeat business...." Expand please
  • This used to be Dudley's didn't it? And that didn't have a liquor licence either. Wonder if the landlord has taken the pledge.
  • <div>places that people travel from outside the area to come to:</div><div><br></div><div>season</div><div>pappagone</div><div>jai krishna </div><div>petek?  (although im not a fan, gimme the best of green lanes anyday)</div><div><br></div><div>(strictly based on anecdotal evidence)</div>
  • @Mirandola, are you a fan of a certain Renaissance philosopher and possible gnostic? Just asking.
  • edited August 2013
    Symposium ---> Hanoi ---> Dudley's ---> Mexicali Continental Cafe ---> Dixy Chicken ---> Rub Miso ---> Yemek ---> Chippy
  • <div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">@graeme i think you're setting the bar a little high there, those places are the best bbq restaurants london has to offer at the moment... </font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><br></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">aside from the name, this place isnt barbecue </font><span style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: small;">and doesnt really identify itself as such </span><span style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: small;">- it does jerk chicken </span></div><div><span style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: small;"><br></span></div><div><span style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: small;">the whole format (nandos style), the young (well meaning but green) staff, no licence, means </span><span style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: small;">its def after the teen market (if there even is one) and i reckon will do OK</span></div><div><span style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: small;"><br></span></div><div><span style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: small;">sophisticate bbq & craft beer seekers will head elsewhere.. this isnt intended to compete and isnt in the same game</span></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><br></div>
  • I hope it's not just me, but with the exception of Season (which I've never eaten at), I wouldn't expect exceptional food to be on offer from most restaurants in the area. It's great to have lots of choice, and lots of places doing well, but for something special, it's reasonable to have to travel further afield to find it. Which is a shame, yes, but that's Stroud Green for us... I've been looking online for any licence application for the premises but haven't found one yet - I agree it seems short-sighted not to have at least beer on offer, for the over-18s. Here's hoping it's a keeper, though... (specifically, a keeper with a premises licence)
  • @tomp Yes I agree it is a high bar but the way posts were going on this thread it certainly gave the impression it was the kind of place worth travelling to. Certainly to me. Do teens want 'slow food'? That to me is not that far removed from 'craft beers'. Just wanted to put my 2p in for anyone expecting anything more than a Grannies/Nandos hybrid.
  • We visited last night. Our experience was fine, but it definitely felt like a place that was finding its feet in all aspects of its offer. I tend to agree with Graeme's comments.<div><br></div><div>Food - We had pulled pork. Luke warm to cold, good flavour but lacking any kind of wow factor. There are 2 sauces available to pick things up....extra hot or BBQ....i found the BBQ to lack any punch. Had some milkshakes which tasted nice but at over £3, it's too expensive for what it is.</div><div><br></div><div>Decor - Random, but didn't bother me too much. I think we'll see this develop a bit as they turn more cash in the business. Its had a fairly simple makeover and lacks warmth and personality, for me this means that the ambience is off.</div><div><br></div><div>Service - I don't mind order sheets when a menu is complicated but here I found it took longer for the person on the till to read and then enter the items into the till than if she'd asked me "what would you like?". All seems a bit pointless. Food came quickly, so no problems there.</div><div><br></div><div>Overall, i'm a bit worried about his place. Repeat local business is what makes a restaurant work round here. I kind of enjoyed my meal, but i won't be thinking about when i'll next be making my visit or who i can recommend it to. I think they've missed a trick, just like everyone else does. If you look at all the successful places, they tend to have some warmth, some character. This could have been achieved with just the menu, but with the nandos style service you've taken out any kind of "special" occasion eating. Again, the nandos style service could be gotten over if the food was knock out and different, i don't think it is. Would i go there once every 2-3 weeks? No. The catchment for SG tend to like a drink with their meal and i saw lots of people checking out whether we were boozing when they walked past, it's this final element that makes me think there's no longevity.  </div>
  • People come from quite far afield for Dotori. The food choices on offer in Stroud Green are better than Crouch End, Muswell Hill and Highgate. We are lucky to have such a wide choice of good stuff. The little stretch between FP station and Tollington Park has Petek, Season, Dotori, Cats, BBM and now Osteria Tufo on Fonthill. Oh, and Vagabond. That's quite a lot of decent eating and drinking for such a small place.
  • Yes but compare to Stoke Newington it's poor on higher end stuff, exactly because the new places feel like take-aways on steroids and some of the old ones eg Petek are getting complacent. High fail rate shows this. Chang
  • edited December 2017