Food at the new Stapleton: it's great!

Me and a pal had dinner at the "new" (for which read: exactly the same but with new staff) Stapleton Tavern yesterday. We'd been pretty devastated when we'd heard the rumours that the place was going to close and had had images of a BetFred opening in its place. Imagine our delight, then. Not only was the place not closed, it was nicely busy and the new very dark lighting scheme (just candlelight in the back room!) made it feel very atmospheric. We both had sea bass niçoise which was really tasty and, here's the best part, only eight quid! So, here's to the new Stapleton. Go and eat there when you can!

Comments

• I'm not convinced, was in there the other night to eat and the menu wasn't great and looking at others food it's didn't look as enticing as previously.  We ended up going over the road.<br><br>Used to like the food in there, hopefully they just need a bit of time to get it up and running again.<br><br>Still can't believe the bricked up the fireplace!<br>
  • Was in there on Tuesday and though we didn't eat, I waited at the bar about 8-10 minutes for service. 2 staff on, one (female) more content to serve 'regulars' getting refills rather than people already waiting. <br><br>Not somewhere to go for a quick drink, and some other patrons behind me left rather than continue waiting. <br><br>Poorly stocked bar too [i.e. they haven't replaced what they have previously stocked: No Woodford Reserve, but £15 a shot Black Label? Erm...].  Wine List stuck on clipboard behind the bar too, that's not much use. <br><br>Needs work.  Will no doubt pop in again to see if it has improved, but likely start going to the Dairy again to give that another crack.<br><br>I write not as an out an out whinge, more that the publican will hopefully read comments.  <br>
  • THEY BRICKED UP THE FIREPLACE?<br>
  • edited August 2013
    I like the new gaffer.  Professional.   Friendly.     Taking a bit of time to get it right.   I agree about the bar staff.<br><br>Fireplace bricked up because of noise complaints from the arse who lives next door.   Pub been here 150 years, arse neighbour about five.    What do you expect if you move in next to a pub?<br><br><br>
  • The open fire there was a major reason to go during the winter.<br><br>Are they getting WiFi so I can go back?<br>
  • edited August 2013
    Get your own wifi. FFS Ps I agree about the fire. Sad loss. Chang
  • <p>The fireplace is a great loss.</p><p>They now have very fast BT WiFi, which is great.</p><p>Nearly got myself barred trying to point out to on young lady that people were leaving after waiting 8 mins to get served. Apparently I was spoiling her social life!</p>
  • Take your own alarm clock. I have one, Czech made, semi antique, loud tick, gift from eastern Czeck clockmaker. Very loud alarm. Might bring it round tonight.
  • Hmm, perhaps this could be the start of a Waiting Time Bingo game? <br>
  • I had dinner with friends about two weeks ago and thought the food was uninspired compared to previously. They may have needed time to bed in though.
  • Last time I ate there was in March 2013 or so and it was terrible. And I'd only ordered a burger - how hard is it to get a basic beef burger right?<div><br></div><div>When did the staff change ? I might give it another shot. </div><div><br></div><div>The Old Dairy seems a bit more reliable. (although more expensive for only slightly better food).<br><div><br></div></div>
  • Yes it's outside the Stroud Green jurisdiction, but the superb <a href="http://www.northnineteen.co.uk/">North Nineteen</a> has WAY better food than the Dairy<br>
  • If the Stapleton is meant to be serving roasts until 6, it's pretty poor planning to have run out of all three of the meat roast options by 3...
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.