Rub - Slow Food & Milk Bar

Comments

• Hi Elly. Lovely to hear from you.
  • Delighted to hear about the licencing application - that's the main reason that I haven't been so far.  A milkshake is lovely with lunch, but if I go out for a meal in the evening I'd like a glass of wine with it.
  • Had takeaway for the second time for four on friday night and it was excellent - the pulled pork was moist and juicy, the chicken was very tasty and the lamb was also extremely good.  the pork in brioche was an excellent combination, spicy beans and coleslaw as well. It was definitely a step up from our last week's meal which is great for us and great for Rub. <div><br></div><div>thanks Elly!</div>
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Lovely food and great shakes. Pulled pork and lamb were soft a moist, near perfect with the brioche. One thing to consider please Elly - bigger straws for those tasty shakes. Hope it all goes well. I'll be in once a week at least
  • <font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">well written review here:</font><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><br></font><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">http://pickyglutton.com/2013/08/12/rub-slow-food-diner-milk-bar-review/</font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><br></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">pretty spot on IMO</font></div></div>
  • <P>They went three times to somewhere that they deemed mediocre on their first visit?</P> <P>That's weird.</P>
  • Went last night with my wife, was quite busy considering it was 9.30pm. I was really confused about the decor and was looking around to snarl at the rumoured N5 sign- it wasnt to be seen. I actually was baffled by the look of the place. So random and strange for it to work in an impressive way. Used the toilets at the back that looked like that they hadnt been refurbished yet, actually they looked like they hadnt been touched since the 80's.<div><br></div><div>Anyway, we had the lamb, and the 'beast' which we choose the pork and the chicken. All on beds of rice with sides of slaw, plantain and beans. </div><div><br></div><div>To be honest we thought the food was decent. None of it was dry and all tasted nice. The sides were nice too. Nachos on the plate though? Stranger things have happened. We settled for 2 glasses of water as we'd heard about the milkshakes and to be honest we were already over consuming. Hot sauces were good especially the extra hot which definitely got the sweats going.</div><div><br></div><div>This place is built to last, it has that random Shorditch vibe thats needed in the area, its has its own vibe as well as having no real competition. People, stop comparing it to Nandos. Its nothing like Nandos besides the fact you have to pay before you buy. </div><div><br></div><div>Would I go again.</div><div>Yes indeed.</div><div>Would I rush to go their again, </div><div>No, not really / maybe.</div>
  • @tosscat Picky Glutton likes to give comprehensive reviews, sampling a range of dishes, sometimes over multiple visits. This makes it a much fairer review than if a restaurant or a specific dish was having a bad day. <br>
  • Why does Stroud Green need to be more like Shoreditch when it is very good at being Stroud Green? Modern Shoreditch is irritating enough in its own postcode, god forbid it spreads elsewhere with its ugly Boxparks and Beards thinking they live in Williamsburg and crapping on about flat whites. The best thing about Shoreditch is Gardners - the paper bag shop.
  • I like Shoreditch, but agree that Stroud Green doesn't need to mimic anywhere.
  • edited August 2013
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • She is WELL KNOWN in Lorne Road. Don't ask. Chang
  • edited August 2013
    <font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">uh oh</font><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">http://hettieholland.wordpress.com/</font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><br></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">i'm not getting brooklyn from that i must say, im getting crouch end tweeness</font></div>
  • @ratherreadabook over on Twitter is keen to open an independent bookshop in the area, and she was enquiring about that shop a couple of days ago - too late, it seems. She's been urged to sign up on here and post a thread about it, but clearly that hasn't happened yet...
  • I suppose 'self-obsessed' is a prerequiste for putting up a blog. But, oh my ... what tedious twaddle ...
  • There's still a vacant shop on Lower SGR, where Samples used to be; hopefully @ratherreadabook will get that one instead!
  • Plus, if @ratherreadabook fancies having a cafe as well, World Cuisine might be looking for a new owner pretty soon? <br>
  • A little bit of Shoreditch is what every business needs. You open World cuisine in the same dated models of the past and look what happens. You give something a concept, you stylise it, you give it an edge then thats what gives you market differentiation. I want trendy weirdo looking single speed moustache wielding folk away from SG as much as the next man, but if you want to see exciting new businesses then you have to accept they have to be new and trendy in their nature to keep up with society as a whole as it moves forward. <div><br></div><div>Keep looking forward not back..</div><div><br></div><div>Also on the food comparison to Nandos, I feel thats a little weak. Because Nandos sells grilled chilled they are similar?  I find it very hard to see the major similarity, or is it that they sell slaw and rice? So are they similar to Chicken Cottage?</div>
  • Businesses do not need a bit of Shoreditch to thrive. They need a good well researched idea, executed well and the wits to let people know about it. This is not exclusive to Shoreditch, just that location has been cheap enough to attract the young ex St Martin's early adopters and therefore businesses catering for them. It was a right craphole ten years ago but action in London tends to move slowly east. Has anyone tried Ceviche which has taken over the site of my beloved Cafe Emm in Soho? I'm going for a meeting/lunch there and want to know if it's good?
  • ceviche is good but easy to rack up a large bill<div><br></div><div>I agree, I hate 'shoreditch' as a lazy catch all term for trendy - its not even trendy anymore.</div><div>Big chains, stag & hens, bridge & tunnel. </div><div><br></div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt;">even Dalston is over. Hackney Wick now innit</span></div><div><br></div>
  • I won't be paying! Hackney Wick does have some lively stuff going on. Big creative/artist community there.
  • I would love an independent bookshop in Stroud Green. I went to The Owl in Kentish Town earlier in the week which is brilliant.
  • The Owl was bought by Waterstones MD ages ago. Still manages to look like a total independent though. I'd love to see one too, I'm just not convinced that people in SG will support it. Will locals be happy to pay full price in a local bookshop when they can buy for half price on Amazon? Some areas can support a bookshop some can't. Indies are particularly vulnerable to Amazon's aggressive discounting as they can't buy enough stock to be able to discount or provide an online discount.
  • It would be good if it was developed as more than just a bookshop, so that it has more to offer than just a website, and can help build a community around it - eg talks, other activities, supporting and promoting local writers. And because of the location, it doesn't need to be dependent on just the people of SG to survive, so long as it gives people a good enough reason to make the journey. Eg, look at how successful Big Green Books has become.<br><br>