World cafe (ex Chapter One)

Comments

• Battlestar Galactica remake is shown every Tuesday at 12am on Sky 2. I didn't like Season 3 much, and need to slap Baltar silly every time I see him (even when he's in other shows and not being Baltar), but otherwise love it.<div><br></div><div>Giles. Tweed. Swoon.</div><div><br></div><div>Firefly + Serenity = splendid. I didn't get into Dollshouse, but have all the DVDs ready for a day when I'm not doing anything else (like watching Buffy/Angel). Whedon for President!</div>
  • Battlestar Gallactica was ace.<br><br>Everything - everything - pails before Game of Thrones.<br>
  • Yeah.  You know, turns into a bucket.<br><br>Did you finish the SOIAF book I gave you?  I don't think you had book 2 at the time.<br>
  • Today's Buffy ep. is the Band Candy one. Love it when Rupert goes all Ripper!
  • I never got into Dollhouse either. I think it was a good idea poorly executed. Buffy/Angel/Firefly/Serenity were all awesome though. BSG was awesome too. Never watched Caprica; is it worth a go? And I still haven't got round to Game of Thrones. <br>
  • @Arkady, Have finished the lot. Now hoping he hurries up with the next one.
  • Did you have a problem with the last two?  I don't think that the way he divided the characters and plots between them works well at all, and when I re-read them I used a combined chapter list.  Read that way, I think it works better than any of the previous books.<br><br><SPOILERS><br><br><br><br><br>Did you work out who Jon's parents are yet?<br>
  • If you like Eliza Dushku, season 1 of Dollhouse is actually pretty good. Season 2 goes wildly off the rails, probably thanks to the network and its cancellation. 
  • @Arkady - I did follow the combined reading order. Embarassingly, I haven't figured out who Jon's mother is yet - we know who his father is, right?
  • Have been googling. interesting.
  • Ah good.  Did I recommend that to you?<br><br>Now you are up to speed, spend a lot of time here: http://boiledleather.com/<br><br>The essay that you really want to read is this one: http://towerofthehand.com/essays/chrisholden/jon_snows_parents.html<br>;
  • There is plenty of speculation that old RR won't write another. He's an old chap and has apparently written lots of notes do that someone else can carry on writing them. It's a common MO with fantasy authors, they embark on these sagas when they're too aged to finish them.
  • edited September 2013
    He has explicity said that he won't allow anyone to finish it if he dies first.<br><br>That said, he has told the producers of the TV adaption what will happen, in broad strokes.  If he did kick the bucket, I would <i>guess </i>that they would be given the chapters that he has already completed (of which there are many, several of which have already been published or read out at conventions) and any supplementary notes.<br><br>The first book came out in 1996. The second in 1998. The third in 2000. Had he continued to release them at that rate then he would be done by now.  The fact that the fourth didn't come out until 2005, and the fifth until 2011, is due to a problem he had in resolving a central part of the second act, which led to much re-writing and the decision to split books four and five.<br><br>He claims that he has resolved this issue entirely, and has the road ahead well mapped out, and does not forsee further problems of that type.  If true, then with luck he will be finished in the next four or five years.<br><br>He has spoken often of he strong desire not to have the series catch up with him, so he probably needs to get the next book out next year or early the following year, though I suppose he could pass the unpublished drafts to the producers to buy more time.<br>
  • There's a good new yorker article about the slowness. Meanwhile, I'm pretty sure I know what's happened to the horn of winter.
  • Yeah?  That's the one that supposed to take down the wall, but which the wildlings didn't find?  A couple of candidates spring to mind.  What are you thinking?<br>
  • @Arkady - two words: Robert Jordan.
  • edited September 2013
    Small, broken and found by Ghost.
  • Surrounded by obsidian?  Yeah, that would be my take on it, though it doesn't match the (presumably exaggerated over time) description.<br>
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Arkady - that's being kind! ;) Too-long gaps between his books, impossible for the series to be completed in one human lifespan...<br>
  • Noooo. I will not accept possibility that series won't be finished.
  • I had a look today, no publication date for anything new. They usually pop up on Phoenix about six months ahead of publication, I'll let you know if I dpot it.
  • <span style="font-style: normal;">I much preferred the second season of </span><i>Dollhouse</i>, got away from being a queasily rapey take on <i>Joe 90</i> and started making more rapid progress through what the show was really meant to be about.<div><br></div><div><i>BSG</i> I loved at first, but the last season/two seasons (depending how you consider it) lost its way entirely, getting into all that hippy anti-tech bullshit. And what little I've seen of the two prequels was even worse.</div><div><br></div><div>Misscara: your definition of 'kids telly' is truly elastic if it covers a) books b) filled with shagging and gore. </div>
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • <span style="font-style: normal;">Ah no, there were spin-off books for </span><i>Buffy</i><span style="font-style: normal;">, but nothing essential. Though the Buffy/Spike sex later on was quite something. However, the thread has mainly moved on to </span><i>A Song of Ice and Fire</i> now, which are very much books first and not suitable for the innocent.
  • Hey! Bring back the Buffy fandom! <br>
  • 'I've done things with you I can't spell' Buffy is still my dearest love.