House prices

13»

Comments

• I was lucky to be able to buy when I did, and have sold my flat for a sum that would make me giddy with delight, had the rest of the London market - and particularly N4 - not also gone on a dizzying rampage. Despite earning a good salary and profiting from the random fact of buying a flat when I did, I can't now afford a two-bed in the area, and don't really want to stretch myself financially to buy a larger (but still small) flat somewhere else. <div><br></div><div>So I'm out of here - this is my last day in Stroud Green. *sob*</div><div><br></div><div>I'm going to miss it (and esp this site) but I miss the old SG already. It will soon be full of delis, the pubs will become even more expensive, and more chain shops will move in, and the only people who will be able to afford to move here will be high earners, which is all fine but it's not the sort of mix that attracted me here 13 years ago. Oh well, progress of a sort. I have benefited from gentrification - and I do like a chintzy shop - so I can't really complain, but I'd happily give back every penny I've "made" if the prices could go back to less bonkers levels and it would be considered normal to aspire to a larger flat, or modest terraced house.</div>
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Thanks! The south coast, which I will refer to as Stroud-Green-on-Sea. <div><br></div><div>It will be lovely, but I'm gutted to be going really. </div>
  • Why are you leaving emine?
  • @emine: Please not Brighton? It's full of guardian journalists. Please keep checking in. Once SG, always SG.
  • edited December 2013
    @emine, hope the move goes well - and keep an eye on your e-mail for a possible WI day trip in the summer!!<div><br></div><div>@andy: brilliant!!</div>
  • Ah, we will miss you. We'll keep in touch x
  • Oh dear. Another one of the good people going.
  • edited December 2013
    I feel like Stroud Green is at the 'fall of Rome' stage.  It had its glory in the 90s and for most of the 2000s and now it's about to fall into a world of tacky theme restaurants and chains.  It's still great but let's see what happens.  I really don't know why some of you wanted the development around Finsbury Park.  It will be the death of this area as an independent and unique area.
  • Thanks everyone. @sutent, just want a bit more space. I'm getting a nice Georgian house for 3/4 of the price of a SG one-bed flat. I say that not to boast but with an exasperated shake of the head at how messed up the London market is. London is wonderful but money is strangling the life out of it. @andy, goodness no, north London is bad enough. Hastings - it's the new Brighton, haven't you heard? I'm sure I'll check in. This is my most-visited site after the Guardian and Lolcats, so I'm going to have withdrawal symptoms. Thank you (and David) so much for running it - it has been such a big part of why I've loved living here. @miss Annie and @vetski Miss you too! Do a WI seaside jaunt! Will still be coming for the football so will get my N4 fix, just as a provincial townie. You'll find me in Jai Krishna.
  • Best of luck emine. I love the south coast. I try and ride my bike from Brighton to Hastings every summer. Its stunning.
  • I looked, very seriously, at moving to Hastings about six years ago. We looked at some lovely art deco houses, that even then were 'cost of an SG flat'. It was lovely, but then I got the train into London and felt that it would be easier and cheaper to move to Paris.
  • I still check in Andy. Proving your point.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Hastings , sadly, has a VERY high concentration of drug addicts (no idea why) and owners of arthritic cats ( a good idea why) . And there is no work there. Chang
  • @Ian - Is there even internet where you live now?
  • We are BT Infinitied up. You would weep at our hyper-local site though.
  • Chang I am very impressed of your epidemiological knowledge of arthritic cats in the south coast. Isn't that a good sign that the cats in the south coast are cared for better, therefore live long enough to get arthritis? Or is it a high proportion of autoimmune arthritis due to a small feline genetic pool. Chang what happens when a cat gets severe arthritis? Do you replace joint or give a cat adapted zimner frame?