Development of John Jones Site / Sketch House

Comments

• There were many issues besides the ones you listed.  Lots of local residents were quite surprised what the promise to 'mitigate the effect' of a large volume of supporters on match days - consisting of closed tube stations, one way systems and a lot of inconvenience.   <div><br></div><div>Residents of Highbury near the stadium were also less than enamoured when the Police decided that the coach park beneath the stadium was a declared terrorism risk, and the council's proposed solution was to close residential streets, suspend parking bays and allow the coaches to park there instead.   Whether this stiff goes on I'm not sure. </div>
  • @MykaBaum @Kate Jones  Like Myka, I'm very opposed to the tree felling and didn't know about it until the signs went up.<div><br></div><div>It seems pretty obvious that simple printed notices are the best way to engage with the community - and in time for the community's response to be taken into account.  </div><div><br></div><div>Also, I was pretty disgusted that when I called the 'contact' number on the notices, I got through to a very bored-sounding woman at Watkin Jones who told me that she had no way of noting or recording my protest, and that the tree felling was scheduled to go ahead, and that the person dealing with it was out of the office.  So not a lot of point this phone number being displayed on the trees, really?</div><div><br></div><div>I think that TPOs should count for something, and that the community's opinion should count too.  We've lost a lot of trees in the park due to the flooding and winds; air pollution in our area is a huge problem and these trees are a precious resource that we shouldn't have to lose.</div><div><br></div><div>This Finsbury Park 'regeneration' project has made some enemies - not that they care, I guess, as long as they keep making money.</div>
  • I dont think any of the trees had TPOs though...<br>
  • @jacula  The JJ development discussion started in December 2009. The issue of the trees was first mentioned in September 2010, by Kate Jones herself. <div><br></div><div>I mean this kindly, really, but the community has been engaged. Where have you been in the past 4 years and especially for the past 18 months or so when the building was going up? </div><div><br></div><div>As a member of the community, where is your responsibility to find out what's going on in the community? There's no secret here. The tree-felling and everything else that's been discussed here has all been out in the open from the start and the JJ plans are all a matter of public record. </div><div><br></div><div>I'm sorry that you're finding this out now when it's too late to do anything but if you feel as strongly as you do maybe this can be a wake-up call to the many other development projects going on in the area that are in the planning stages where you can have your say.</div>
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • But this website, as much as we might like to think differently is not 'the community'. Just because it was mentioned here 4 or 5 years ago doesn't mean everyone, including neighbours (I'm yet to see anyone say they live in the immediate vicinity of JJ) knew anything about it.
  • edited March 2014
    There were two lots of trees.<br><br>- The ones we are talking about here (15 or so trees) that were in the original application<br>- 4/5 trees on Morris Pl which were subject to a seperate application in 2012 and were removed in late 2012 I think.<br>
  • The following people would have been notified:<br><br>- local councillors<br>- local residents groups<br>- local estate groups (I know the residents on Clifton Terrace would have been consulted)<br>- local residents through a letter drop (neighbouring roads only)<br>- signs would have been put on the boundary fence AND on the trees to be removed<br>
  • @yagamuffin I agree that this website is not the community but there was a planning application, a rejection of the appeal and a court appeal on this development, all part of the public record. I don't think this represents a case where the community wasn't consulted. <div><br></div><div>The trees were specifically mentioned in 2010 in the rejection of the application. I understand that some people feel very strongly that the trees should remain, so my question is, given the time that has passed, where has the 'community' been? I see no organised effort until now when it's too late.</div><div><br></div><div>Many people say, 'I didn't know about x, y or z' or '...the community wasn't consulted' and my point is it's a two-way process. Individuals need to take responsibility to find out what's going on in the community he or she lives in.</div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt;">  </span></div>
  • <div>As ever, I agree with @joev.</div><div><br></div>I think a previous post has outlined all the different ways, both online and offline that, consultation has happened. People in general don't seem to have turned up to the consultation events. Flyers and noticeboards have been used. Also, there was a massive building going up, which may have been a tip to people in the area that changes were afoot.<div><br></div><div>The conversation on this site is notable only because it is a record, with dates, of one of the ways that consultation has happened. Whether or not you agree with the outcome of the consultation, it is straightforwardly wrong to say it hasn't happened. </div>
  • What is the latest wi the trees? Was in park theatre and lots talking about the threat. Chang
  • I believe  either  tomorrow or Tuesday 
  • Ok ta. Jonty and me hope to be there , Chang
  • As I'm sure others saw, they were being felled this morning.<br>
  • Tree chopping happening this morning, with a whole bunch of security in high vis jackets - obviously on standby in case Stroud Green revolted.<br>
  • 'Tis a pity.  I saw no protesters, which surprised me.  Had they already cut the chains to free a naked Chang and his mother-in-law?
  • I think it is easier to shout on the internet rather than in reality
  • And most people have work commitments on a Monday morning.
  • @misscara - to be fair to yourself, you've been raising the question of the trees for literally years. It's not like it all happened for the first time last week.
  • <font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Some intervention being claimed, it seems:</font><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><br></font><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">
  • I saw the destruction as I was on my way to work this morning. On the way home, that back route - which always used to come into its own at this time of year, full of the possibilities of spring evenings - felt very bleak. That doggerel about birds and bees on the hoardings, previously just trite, is now exposed as callous hypocrisy. Similarly, a building which before was too generic to inspire strong feelings either way is now exposed in all its aggressive mediocrity. I can but regret supporting the development plans against the council's objections (which with hindsight seem wiser than we knew), and wish failure and destruction on the whole vile project.
  • edited March 2014
    @ADGS Very sad to see the trees go today. 
  • ....and the over-reaction of the year award goes to....
  • edited March 2014
    ...John Jones? Perfectly put ADGS.
  • If i was a bird or a bee, i'd be heading straight to the Park rather than wasting my time down Clifton terrace where my chances of being eaten by a cat were fairly high.<div><br></div><div>The trees will be missed by everyone, i don't think there's any pleasure in seeing them go. However, I'm starting to dislike the belated ill feeling to JJ. There aren't many businesses keeping 100 jobs in the area being slated for it. </div>
  • edited March 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I'm sure there are somewhere in the region of 100 jobs (albeit many short-term) hanging on the council's new oversaturation of the park with concerts. That has also been widely, and rightly, slated, because jobs at any price is not the way to keep an area liveable.