Local issues for the local election?

edited May 2014 in Local discussion
<p style="margin: 0px; font-size: 14px; font-family: Arial;"><span style="letter-spacing: 0.0px">Is it only me who is disappointed by the lack of a local conversation in the local elections? (I’m on the Islington side of the tracks)</span></p> <p style="margin: 0px; font-size: 14px; font-family: Arial;"><span style="letter-spacing: 0.0px">The candidates’ literature addresses the big issues of crime, housing and jobs, but where is the sense that they have a specific set of priorities for Tollington?  We might want to vote for those aligned with our views at a national political level, but don't we also want to vote for those who have a clear interest in local issues too? </span></p> <p style="margin: 0px; font-size: 14px; font-family: Arial; min-height: 16px;"><span style="letter-spacing: 0.0px"></span><br></p> <p style="margin: 0px; font-size: 14px; font-family: Arial;"><span style="letter-spacing: 0.0px">So I’ve had a go at an agenda for Tollington Ward.  The issues are not unique to our ward, but they do have a specific context that you might expect to be addressed by our representatives.  in no particular order…</span></p> <p style="margin: 0px; font-size: 14px; font-family: Arial; min-height: 16px;"><span style="letter-spacing: 0.0px"></span><br></p> <p style="margin: 0px; font-size: 14px; font-family: Arial;"><span style="letter-spacing: 0.0px"><b>A plan for parks and open spaces</b> - to include particularly neglected corners on Evershot Rd and Everleigh St.  To communicate to friends groups and residents when there are opportunities for improvements to maximise what can be achieved.</span></p> <p style="margin: 0px; font-size: 14px; font-family: Arial;"><span style="letter-spacing: 0.0px"><b>Support for our local businesses and shops</b> - an improvement strategy for our main streets such as Stroud Green Rd and Hornsey Road in particular.  Better streetsweeping, more planting, 20-minute free parking bays would be good places to start.</span></p> <p style="margin: 0px; font-size: 14px; font-family: Arial;"><span style="letter-spacing: 0.0px"><b>Ensuring quality and value for money</b> in the delivery of local council services.  Highways work is often poor quality, stretsweeping can be improved, do traffic wardens ever report fly tipping?</span></p> <p style="margin: 0px; font-size: 14px; font-family: Arial;"><span style="letter-spacing: 0.0px"><b>A clear plan for improved transport.</b>  Effective traffic calming, better cycling facilities, a relaxed CPZ (J) etc ?  And meaningful discussion with residents on these issues.</span></p> <p style="margin: 0px; font-size: 14px; font-family: Arial;"><span style="letter-spacing: 0.0px"><b>Engagement with the community. </b> A plan to communicate better and facilitate the community to make improvements in their local area.  There is a Tollington Ward Partnership that coordinates the delivery of council services, but do we need a community forum that gives residents and local groups the chance to come together with the council and make this area better?  </span></p> <p style="margin: 0px; font-size: 14px; font-family: Arial; min-height: 16px;"><span style="letter-spacing: 0.0px"></span><br></p> <p style="margin: 0px; font-size: 14px; font-family: Arial;"><span style="letter-spacing: 0.0px">A theme through all of this is that, at a time of reduced funding, the local community can contribute a huge amount to bringing together residents and making this area a more pleasant and safer place to live.</span></p> <p style="margin: 0px; font-size: 14px; font-family: Arial; min-height: 16px;"><span style="letter-spacing: 0.0px"></span><br></p> <p style="margin: 0px; font-size: 14px; font-family: Arial;"><span style="letter-spacing: 0.0px">I’m kind of disappointed that these themes are not addressed by our local candidates.  Am I alone?</span></p> <p style="margin: 0px; font-size: 14px; font-family: Arial; min-height: 16px;"><span style="letter-spacing: 0.0px"></span><br></p> <p style="margin: 0px; font-size: 14px; font-family: Arial;"><span style="letter-spacing: 0.0px">It would be great if some of the local candidates felt like responding, and re-assuring us that they do have local issues in mind as well as the bigger picture.</span></p>

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Islington councillors never engage here. Not sure if they know about this forum and Stroud Green proper is mostly Haringey. However, I agree. As I posted on another thread, I am not a parent, car owner or home owner, and have no complaints about rubbish. As someone else has said, people of my demographic are of little interest to local parties as we are not inclined to be overly interested in schools or parking which are the two main vote winning hobby-horses. I am generally fairly happy with what I personally see in my bit of Islington (I'm in J but don't have a car) the roadsweepers are out every day, the dustmen and recycling people come every week, the council tax is frozen again and I got a brand new free boiler and radiators fitted under their eco scheme. Partners for Islington are worth talking to, their main concern is the social housing but as a private tenant I have been given an allotment as part of their gardening scheme and they meet with and engage with all of the local community - just sign up to their mailing list. They might be interested in the neglected corners.
  • Jward you are spot on. Dog mess and rampant cats plus fox infestation are issues in Lorne rd but that I think is hackney Chang
  • As I just posted on another thread, the option to vote for a change was almost non-existent. Same people and safe seats.  Maybe a few independents would move things along - jward for local council?