[...]

Comments

• <P>Miscarra  I would expcet local elections to have candiates who are local so they understand what is to like to live here not what is like as a visitor</P> <P>At least three candidates who are standing live in Highgate which is  a completly different area to live in than Stroud Green  so I guess are visitors.  Two Tories and one Libdem. In fact there is I think only one Libdem  who could be said to have their address here (depending on how you define the boundaries of SG) and that is Ben who I definitly know has two votes.</P> <P>It is almost a parody of Victorian times or Downton  with the people in the  big house  doing their best and representing those  in the Village down the hill.</P> <P>For some  reason it also reminded me of the John  Lennon song</P> <P><A href="http://rock.rapgenius.com/John-lennon-working-class-hero-lyrics">http://rock.rapgenius.com/John-lennon-working-class-hero-lyrics</A></P>; <P> </P> <P> </P>
  • edited May 2014
    Katherine Reece has been a councillor in Stroud Green for four years already.  I assure you she knows the ward very well.<div><span style="font-size: 10pt;">David Lammy doesn't live in his constituency, he lives in Lynne Featherstone's.  'Completely different area'.  Bet you'd still vote for him though wouldn't you, you old tribalist.  Bet you'll be voting for the Unite candidate in the general election too won't you?  She lives in Islington.</span></div>
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Having dealt first hand with councillors I can tell you it does matter - there were several councillors I dealt with who were more active in the ward they lived in than the one they represented.  I'd much rather have someone who lived within the ward representing me.<br>
  • Indeed, I know at least once candidate who has moved slightly further out in part due to the cost of living in Stroud Green.  But no no Ali, you have your class warrior moment.  The irony.
  • <P>Ben,</P> <P>Who said anything about class  and less of the old pse</P> <P>I just think people who live 24/7/365 will know an area better than someone who doesn't</P> <P>I am not sure what Unite has to with anything so I won't mention Michael Brown</P> <P>If  I am an old tribalist and postal voted for you I am now very confused on what  I thought are pretty innocent remarks.</P> <P>It is going to be interesting next May as Labour do have a pretty strong candidate</P>
  • What do you define as local? Highbury? Islington (i.e. N1)? Farringdon? Forest Gate?  All are locations of people standing in Tollington.<br>
  • edited May 2014
    @Ali - Apologies, I thought - perhaps not unreasonably - that your posting of Working Class Hero and talk of people in 'the big house' Vs 'the village' had something to do with class...<div><br></div><div>I bet Katherine Reece spends more time talking to Stroud Green residents than most Stroud Green residents.<div><br></div><div>Anyway, I'll stop biting the hand that feeds me now though.  Genuinely and pleasantly surprised (and honoured).</div></div>
  • edited May 2014
    Talking of what we actually plan to do, and fair funding for the health service:  <div style="font-weight: normal;"><br></div><div><b>Haringey Lib Dems pledge to make Children’s Services and Health their top priorities</b></div><div><br></div><div>Haringey Lib Dems have pledged to make the borough’s health and Children’s Services their top priority. The Lib Dems have already petitioned, marched and fought hard with residents to save Whittington Hospital in 2010 when the Labour Government tried to close the A&E and more recently when the Board tried to sell off parts of the hospital’s land. Both the A&E closure and the sell-off were successfully stopped. Lynne Featherstone MP also ran a year-long campaign for fairer funding for our local hospitals, GPs and walk-in centres securing a £7.6million boost for local services this year.  </div><div><br></div><div>However, the Lib Dems believe that there is more to be done, as Haringey’s health services still receive relatively less funding than neighbouring boroughs like Islington and Camden. That’s why, in their local election manifesto, they have committed to keep fighting for more funding for local health services. </div><div><br></div><div>In the manifesto the Lib Dems are also committed to improving Haringey Council’s Children’s Services. Since the Labour-run Council’s notorious failures to protect Victoria Climbie and Baby P – the local Lib Dems and Lynne Featherstone MP have been calling for an independent review into the service.So far those calls have been rejected. Cllr Katherine Reece, Haringey Lib Dem Children’s spokesperson, comments: “Sadly, despite welcome recent changes, Children’s Services in Haringey still need to improve. </div><div><br></div><div>Just a couple of weeks ago, in the most recent case involving children in care, Haringey Council’s own lawyer referred to a ‘systemic corporate failure’ – and the judge branded the situation that led to the case as ‘frankly catastrophic.’ “If the Lib Dems are in charge of Haringey Council after the 22nd May we would make improving Children’s Services a top priority. “We would also continue our campaign to get more funding for local health services so that Haringey gets similar funding to neighbouring boroughs like Camden and Islington.”</div>
  • <P>There is no doubt there issue  with Child Services.</P> <P>I was wondering about when the most "recent"  court case might be so thought it might be April 2013 and the case when some parents  were falsely accused of Child abuse based on the contrived evidence of a neihbour during 2011</P> <P>or is there  something more recent  than that.</P> <P>The Whit  campaign was a good one and some great pictures above show it was a bit wider politically</P> <P><A href="http://www.google.co.uk/images?hl=en-GB&amp;q=save+whittington+hostp[ital;+demo+pictures&amp;gbv=2&amp;sa=X&amp;oi=image_result_group&amp;ei=sqh0U_y4K8GV7Ab6-YG4AQ&amp;ved=0CCAQsAQ">http://www.google.co.uk/images?hl=en-GB&amp;q=save+whittington+hostp[ital;+demo+pictures&amp;gbv=2&amp;sa=X&amp;oi=image_result_group&amp;ei=sqh0U_y4K8GV7Ab6-YG4AQ&amp;ved=0CCAQsAQ&lt;/A&gt;&lt;/P&gt; <P>It was also one time the Local MPs of all partied worked together and good them !</P> <P><A href="http://www.islingtongazette.co.uk/news/health/whittington_march_in_pictures_1_1981585">http://www.islingtongazette.co.uk/news/health/whittington_march_in_pictures_1_1981585</A></P>; <P> </P> <P> </P>
  • edited May 2014
    Indeed!  Lynne went on the march even though she wasn't invited, and then Lammy criticised her for not being there from the stage.  Nice fellah.<div>It was a good day though.  Nice to see such huge turnout,</div>
  • <P>Your making it sound like the demo was organised by non LibDem  politicals </P> <P>Glad she got involved as the Hostpital is important for people living in SG</P>
  • edited May 2014
    The libdems  got into government with the tories.  Don't vote for them.
  • Haha. Were they scum before going into the coalition?
  • edited May 2014
    @ N19.  Don't vote for the LibDems.
  • I will vote Labour, but they're not so good, but it's about values.  I can't vote for the Libdems who probaby think hanging out in Season's restaurant is cool.
  • That is a completely ridiculous rant. I don't imagine anyone goes to Season because it's 'cool', they go because it's nice, fairly simple food that is actually not that expensive. Especially if you go early for the special offer.
  • I think it's fair enough, I only go to Season because it's cool.  If only I could grow a beard and then I'd be really cool and fit in.
  • You are probably all utterly sick to death of hearing about it by now, but here's the obligatory reminder that it's election day tomorrow, so please do roll on down to your local polling station between 7AM and 10PM. I'm utterly knackered. My legs hurt. But campaigning has been a lot of fun, really rewarding. I've met some cool people, some fascinating people, a few angry people, and one or two wonderfully eccentric people. Whatever the result tomorrow, I sure know Stroud Green a hell of a lot better than I did. Maybe I've even persuaded one or two of you to consider voting for me too. Either way, here's an early toast to the wonders of democracy, in all its cracked and flawed glory. B
  • edited May 2014
    Please dont' vote for the Lib Dems, they went into league with Tories.  If you vote for them you might as well wear a jumper over shirt and a smug grin.  <div><br></div><div>vote for labour.  Not perfect but they are the true face of social change and I think they're getting better.  </div>
  • You know it's a local and European election don't you? Wouldn't it be better to base your views on the policies of those rather than what's happened in national government.
  • edited January 2018
  • <P> It will be interesting see  how Cleggers handles the psition  after the results are comepletd next Sunday</P>
  • Writing on election day itself, I just wanted to remark how indebted we all are to the people who actually put in all the hard work to keep our democracy (ramshackle, The-worst- system-of-government-except-all-the-others) going by standing, and campaigning. And Ben, as I dont live in your ward, I am free, in a non-party way, to offer you the best of luck (together with all the other candidates of course!)<div><br></div><div>In my own ward, in Islington (Hillrise) I have strong opinions and shall be voting.</div><div><br></div><div> Secretly.</div>
  • When Tom came to SG and I was young we used to go to that library. Great place. Then a year later it was horrible flats. I remember the kids painting and the roses outside. Now - crap. It was Lib Dem council that did that. Never forgive. Evil. Chang
  • <P><SPAN class=Author>Appently the fear of bards  is called pogonophobia.</SPAN></P> <P><SPAN class=Author>On  an online vote run by  the Haringey branch of the Beard Liberation Front Labour Candiates had most votes for 1st and 2nd Councillor Wilson was third, tories 4th</SPAN></P> <P><SPAN class=Author>I wonder if that result  wil be repeated today.</SPAN></P> <P><SPAN class=Author></SPAN> </P> <P><SPAN class=Author>Good luck to Ben </SPAN></P>
  • When do the results starting coming out?