Greetings from new Stroud Green ward councillor

Hi everyone,<div><br></div><div>I'm posting to introduce myself as one of the new Labour councillors for Stroud Green ward in Haringey. </div><div><br></div><div>I am aware that the previous councillors in Stroud Green were well regarded and I very much hope that we can continue with that legacy. There has been a change in political party of course but that does not mean that there will be any change in terms of commitment or desire to improve the area. All three councillors live in the ward and have strong connections to the area (I was born here!)</div><div><br></div><div>I am not a prolific poster on stroudgreen.org, but I keep a regular eye on what is going on here and I look forward to participating more over the years ahead. It is clearly an excellent means for councillors to keep tabs on issues of concern in the area, and more broadly to engage with people who take an active interest in the community and environment. </div><div><br></div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt; ">I would also be interested to hear from stroudgreen.org users about what improvements you would like to see in the area, and what you think Haringey council should be doing better (although all specific casework issues need to be dealt with by email). </span><span style="font-size: 10pt; ">Since being elected I have already been in correspondence with a large number of residents about various issues in the area - unsurprisingly dumped/uncollected rubbish and Finsbury Park concerts have featured prominently. </span></div><div><br></div><div>Finally I would like to wish Ben (Arcady) the best of luck in taking charge of SG.org - I'm sure he'll do an excellent job.</div><div><br></div><div>I look forward to working constructively with you all.</div><div><br></div><div>Best wishes,</div><div>Tim</div>

Comments

• Thanks for taking up the invitation to say hello Cllr Gallagher. Hope you get some useful suggestions!
  • Thanks Tim for posting on here. I have mentioned this to Arkady previously. At the Arena shopping centre there are no bike stand on the corner or Homebase and Sports Direct. Most people lock their bikes on the Homebase trolley park metal rails which is inconvenient to those trying to get trolleys and can scratch bikes as the trolleys come out. On the weekend you can see up to 5 - 10 bikes there. I have spoken to many people who put their bikes there and a bike stand would be most welcome. There is enough space on the corner between the 2 shops. I would be grateful if you could look into this. 
  • edited January 2018
  • Thanks for the suggestion about the bike stands Sutent. The Arena shopping centre is actually in Harringay ward, but I'll pass this on to the council and get back to you.
  • Hi Tim, thanks for introducing yourself. I would really like to see an improvement in the state of the toilets in the park (Finsbury Park). When I was there today the smell hit me as soon as I opened the door. Nappy bins were overflowing, wet toilet paper was all over the sink area and there is graffiti all over the walls in at least two of the cubicles. This was the women's toilets but I can't imagine the men's are any better! There was a previous discussion about this here (can't link but search Finsbury Park Toilets to find the thread) and promises were made by a Haringay Council official but as far as I can see no changes have been made, They are desperately in need of a proper deep cleaning and painting. Surely some of the money raised from the summer concerts could be used to help with this? It would be a relatively easy and cheap job which would make using the park much more pleasant.
  • edited July 2014
    You could do those toilets up like the Palace of Versailles and inconsiderate oiks would still graffiti, stuff bins full of nappies and block the toilets with heaven knows what. The majority of summer park users seem to be people who would consider the rubbish tips of Brazil the height of glamour judging by the way they just chuck rubbish around, pee all over the place and trash everything. Employing park attendants (park keepers) would be the best use of park money. :(|)
  • Austerity got rid of the Park keepers, Park police <br><br>Here is the links with the promiss  from the Council<br><br>http://www.stroudgreen.org/discussion/comment/72705/#Comment_72705<br>;
  • Thanks for adding the link Ali.<br><br>Miss Annie, I completely agree that some people will trash the toilets no matter how clean and perfect they are but a repaint and a bit of refurbishment would help a lot. On a busy summer Sunday with loads of kids in the park it's inevitable that nappy bins will get full up quickly - it should be possible to  have a cleaner come in a few times a day to change bins and do a quick clean around. <br><br>Wray Crescent Park (in Islington rather than Haringay) is far, far smaller than Finsbury Park but has a park keeper in attendance at all times during core hours keeping the toilet area clean as well as doing general park maintenance. <br><br>I have a 2 year old daughter in the process of toilet training at the moment so my sensibilities are heightened when it comes to good and bad local toilets! <br>
  • <p>I second the suggestion about the toilets - I think it's a regular attendant they need rather than a paint job.  And it's probably a different ward too but it's such a shame the Park Road leisure centre refurb has overrun and the lido is shut for practically the whole Summer.  Will the contractors be penalised?  </p><p>On a selfish note I'd love some planting to screen off the railway line from Dagmar Road - a Councillor once mentioned a pocket park fund but never got back to me. </p><p>Generally though I think keep up the good work in Stroud Green - I really appreciate things like the refurb of Stationer's Park and the reinstatement of a programme of events at Stroud Green Children's Centre and would sorely miss the library if it came under threat again.  </p><p>Dog mess clean up seems to go through phases - sometimes I notice a real improvement and then it slides again.</p>
  • <p>PS on a more controversial note as I imagine it helps with the commercial exploitation of the park but does Finsbury Park actually need a road in it?  It would be so nice not to have to worry about traffic once you get inside the gate.  </p><p>More realistically - what about a gate in the corner by the softball pitches near Homebase?  They are slightly odd anyway - why is it against the law to play any other game there?  Seems a bit ott and it's not like they are in constant use as softball pitches.  Would be nice to be able to walk through the park to the Arena shopping centre rather than having to go out of the park and walk along the busy Endymion Road.   </p>
  • Thanks for the suggestions everyone.<div><br></div><div>I have my 'ward walk' with Haringey's Chief Exec in a couple of weeks to go highlight the main issues in the ward. Although not technically in Stroud Green (Finsbury Park is actually in Harringay ward), the park will be a good place to start as it is clearly used by everyone in the Stroud Green area. The amount of litter in the park over the summer has come to my attention in recent weeks, and I will certainly pass on the point about the toilets. As for the road... as far as I know there has always been a road there, and is probably quite useful for families etc who drive there.</div><div><br></div><div>Dog mess is an ongoing issue, and we will continue to work with Veolia to make sure that it is being dealt with more effectively.</div><div><br></div><div>Will certainly look at the feasibility of some plants at the end of Dagmar Road.</div>
  • Thanks for replying Tim. Any thoughts on the gate? There is one there already actually but it is rickety and padlocked. Re the road: I dare say it is. But the vast majority of park users don't drive there and certainly it would be unusual for families in Stroud Green to, bar exceptional circumstances that could be catered for. If grassing over it isn't a realistic option what about experimenting with closing it off now and again to gauge feedback? You could have marshalled access for disabled users etc like with play streets. That it's always been there doesn't seem a good enough reason for keeping it if no one wants it. Maybe they do want it but lots of people are starting to question why the car gets precedence everywhere and if we are going to start redressing the balance, inside a park well served by public transport seems a reasonable place to start. It always seems a bit dangerous to have cars driving through where so many children and dogs are playing, not to mention grey and dispiriting. Anyway, just my opinion! I accept I might be in the minority on this one.
  • Hello<br><br>I like your sentiment, trainspotter. Actually funnily enough I don't mind so much having a road in Finsbury Park, as if people are going to drive to a park it might as well be Finsbury Park which is big enough to have space for everybody else too.  Plus it was ever so slightly useful when we still had the car, for example when grandparents came to visit.  Not sure why they need to go anywhere other than the parking bit though.<br><br>What's much more annoying is having cars going past the Stroud Green peace garden when children are trying to play there after school.  After all, children can't play on Finsbury Park without planning a trip there, but they can meet up on a much more ad hoc basis after school.  It'd be nice to have a play street outside for a couple of hours after school finished.  Or a rotating play street - one road a day (a week to start with).  In fact I don't see why we can't block off the ends of all the 20 mph roads like that set of roads just South of the park (well obviously not quite all of them) and give children priority over footballs over cycles over cars.<br><br>Also, I'd love to have a coffee shop near Londis.  MiCycle is making a pretty heroic community spirited effort, but with the best will in the world its two chairs and three stools aren't quite there.  Please keep a lookout for any planning applications and speed them along - not that I am aware of any since Londis started and then stopped - what was that all about, does anyone know?<br><br>So a bit more of a dreamy aspirational post than a pull your finger out and sort it out post from me.  Stroud Green is a great place to live, parkland walk is so much better than when we first moved here, Finsbury Park hasn't slipped too badly from the hieghts following the restoration etc.<br>
  • edited December 2017
  • Hello Cllr, There is a woeful lack of disabled parking outside Stroud Green shops, especially the major food shops. For example I'd like to shop at Londis but there are now only two car park spaces (previously there were three) and they are permanently occupied. At some point there was a shop mobility scheme in Haringey - I've found traces of it on websites. However it doesn't seem to be in operation any more. It would be a wonderful thing to bring back to allow elderly and disabled people to go shopping. Also could someone take a look at the ridiculous height of the speed bumps on Upper Tollington Park? The last but one before the traffic lights is enormous. The speed limit on the road is 20 but it's impossible to go over the bumps any faster than 5. If you don't know that and you get quite a shock.
  • Duncan you traitor!  ;)  In fact my daughter's and many other children's route to school/nursery (Stroud Green primary) is along the road through the park so it is similar to your example of Stapleton Hall Road and the Peace Gardens.  As for it allowing people to drive to the park, Haringey Council's sustainable transport policy says they should be discouraging unnecessary car use - an aim I support, particularly in inner London as air quality is shocking.  I've suggested ways that exceptions could be made for disabled access or for deliveries to the cafe etc if that was thought to be necessary car use. 
  • @Sutent - finally heard back regarding the bike stands outside Homebase. I've been told that it is all private land, but that the request has been forwarded on to the Arena shopping centre for their consideration. I went down to have a look myself the other day, and see what you mean about bikes being parked on the rails by the trolleys.
  • @timgallagher. Many thanks for this. Fingers crossed that they consider changing this
  • @Luirette Can't you just park on the double yellows on Stapleton Hall Road?  There's loads of places you can park along Stroud Green Road - and if you're driving surely there are better options than Londis?<br>
  • @timgallagher - is there anything that can be done about the state of Finsbury Park - it really is a disgrace: rubbish everywhere, nowhere feels clean and i feel like i can't take the kids there anymore, it's just too dirty. We put up with the concerts, there's a window of 48hrs when the promoters are charged with clearing up from their event and then, because there is no staff to regularly clean up or call out people who aren't clearing up after themselves, it falls into a horrible mess again. It's not a public space if its not kept clean
  • edited December 2017
  • @NorthNineteen I wish it were that simple! Due to my very restricted ability to walk and stay on my feet I need to get really close to a shop in order to go inside. Stapleton Hall Road would be too far a walk. Maybe you have never been inside that Londis? It's fabulous. On Stroud Green Road Tesco's is too big for me to get about it and you can't park outside Sainsburys. Also my point about the Stroud Green Road was that although there is some parking, it is very often full of cars already and people like me who really need to park outside shops and can't walk round the corner need a dedicated disabled parking space. Outside the chemist would be good.
  • I'm awaiting responses from council officers on a number of issues that have been reported on this thread. Just to let you know I'm going on holiday for a couple of weeks tomorrow - will report back when I return! 
  • @trainspotter @Luirette<;div><br></div><div>Any chance you could drop me an email at tim.gallagher@haringey.gov.uk?</div><div><br></div><div>I've received fairly lengthy response from the council on a couple of issues you raised, probably best to communicate that way.</div>
  • Hi there can you also gives us a heads up on how the council will be responding to the Gospel Oak to barking electrification proposals particularly in relation to the vegetation clearance letters sent recently to residents - the overall proposals to upgrade the line is great but it should be done sensible and wit respect to thelocal environment!
  • @maclondon<;div>Thanks for this. I wasn't aware of the vegetation clearance letters - perhaps this was Islington council? Crouch Hill station is just over the border in Islington.</div>
  • Nope it is the entire gospel Oak to Barking line that is being electrified so Camden, Islington, Haringey! Waltham Forest, Redbridge & Barking! Survey to start in October, consultation next year. I live in your ward and know your fellow councillor Kirsten.
  • OK thanks, will look into this.
  • edited December 2017
  • @gardener-joe<;div>I have passed this onto Kirsten. Please email her at kirsten.hearn@haringey.gov.uk if you want to correspond with her directly.</div>