Railway hotel sign covered by Starbucks

the new starbucks has just covered over the old railway hotel sign. such a shame. why do islington council allow history to be covered over!!

Comments

• such a shame Starbucks have boarded over the old Railway hotel signage.
  • I was sad to see it go too. happy I was able to take a picture before it was covered. To be fair, the pub had it up covered as well with their signage, which was I was also sad to see go.
  • Please tell me it's true.  Please!!<br><br>(Sorry - I would like to keep the sign but I love Starbucks so much I can barely contain my excitement at the news.)
  • Would Islington Council have had any say in this? I emailed the building developer about this and they said that Starbucks had made a decision to cover up the sign and nothing could be done about it. Seems pretty shortsighted to me, the old signage looked lovely and would only have enhanced the building. <br><br>Could be worse, at least it's only been covered up rather than being ripped out so maybe it will reappear at some time. <br>
  • I am a-quiver with excitement at being able to walk straight past Starbucks every time I leave the tube and head for something real.
  • edited September 2014
    What, is the Starbucks shop only a hologram? That seems odd, I'm sure a physical shop would be able to sell things more easily.
  • Starbucks is the new reality for this area.  You let the developers in and see what happens.  
  • I love coffee, but don't understand the popularity of Starbucks, the coffee always tastes burnt to me!
  • Hussain, proprietor of Gadz, more or less opposite, has given me permission to quench my curiosity and thirst at Starbuck's - 'but once only, Tartaruga!' He only knows one word of Italian, and has decided to give it to me. I've never been called a tortoise before. He's a great bloke, full of zany humour. He delivered somebody's meal on his head, the other week. He doesn't seem bothered by the competition, and no doubt the regulars will remain loyal. He's already met the new Starbucks manager, a young Ukrainian woman. 'They all come to me, Tartaruga..'  - including Kate Jones - but all that might just be him being zany again.
  • While Star-mega-bucks might think it's in a higher galaxy and can take over, as Mr Check-ski says it's up to us to let it be the cock-of-the-hoop round here.  Let's send it to coventry and go to Hussain instead.
  • Not a hope in hell. You see how popular Exeter Street is. Starbucks will be a success round here. Hussain will be boarded up soon. It's reality
  • Starbuck's WILL be a success, Sutent. No doubt about it. But I hope and think there will be room for places like Gadz and Brioche d'Or (in front of the buses, lined up to go), as well.
  • As I've said ten million times before, if people spend their cash in the small businesses they will survive. Ash's, Tony's etc thrive despite Tesco. It's up to us to decide which shops rake in the cash and which don't by deciding where to spend our money. Some people will always go for a branded product regardless of the quality.
  • I really hope your right. With mezaban gone I am not holding my breath. The day the hallal meat shop and pound shop goes will be a sad day..
  • Simple. Cross the street.
  • <span style="font-family: Arial; font-size: small;">It's funny. I've been reading with great interest on this forum what my neighbors think is 'good' and what they think is 'bad' and after what, seven years or so, I still can't for the life of me figure out what's acceptable and what's unacceptable in terms of types of businesses and the like.</span><div><span style="font-family: Arial; font-size: small;"><br></span></div><div><span style="font-family: Arial; font-size: small;">There seems to be a consensus that because something is independently own it is 'good' regardless of the quality of product and/or service. Everyone loves mom and pop shops, but no one seems to shop at that them, or at least admits to it. Same goes for the chains. If it's a chain, it has to be small-scale and considered not too posh. And again, no one admits that they shop at them because chains are bad.</span></div><div><span style="font-family: Arial; font-size: small;"><br></span></div><div><span style="font-family: Arial; font-size: small;">So I wonder, where do people really spend their hard earned dosh?</span></div>
  • edited September 2014
    Ok... We do about 80% of our food shopping within walking distance of home. Ash's, Dunn's, various corner shops, Nags Head market, Lidl, M&S, and yes, reluctantly, Tesco. Occasionally after work forays to Fortnum & Mason for end of day discount deli and cakes. Clothes and shoes - town as there is nowhere good locally, although Detritus is making his own shirts and waistcoats now. Lotions and potions - Pound shop, Boots on Holloway Rd. Everything else - books and gifts, mostly from work (50% discount is a winner), vintage/craft markets or handmade. Coffee/tea Nero in town, place at the station on the corner by 210 bus stop or sometimes Park Theatre if on way to work, don't really go anywhere to sit for coffee. After food, the thing I buy most is fabric, haberdashery etc. A lot is vintage or recycled but almost all the new stuff is from independent shops that are a very short cycle ride away. I buy the occasional piece of fabric online from ebay or shops I know in the US, other than that no Internet shopping at all. Interested to know if other people do much local shopping?