Park gate locked

Apparently the Oxford Road gate to the park was locked as a result of the privatisation of the park for a rave today.    Pissed off a lot of people.<div><br></div><div>Can this be justified?</div>

Comments

• The noise from this event is ridiculous. 
  • If I made this amount of noise / breached safety regulations by locking an escape exit, I would be prosecuted.<div><br></div><div>Oh good, it's raining.</div>
  • I can hear it, loud if not clear, from inside my flat in Moray Road, which is pretty much a first. I feel outraged by this weekend-long invasion. And sickened - drowning in shit. Is this the new, philistine norm?
  • This is indeed a new low.    Whoever does this, give us our park back.
  • Its been driving me nuts, drowning out my radio. Tweeted to MPS Haringey, maybe if they have a lot of complaints it might get turned down. .wishful thinking.
  • edited December 2017
  • We can hear this loud and clear on Tollington park. If it was just a gig on the evening I wouldn't mind but not for hours and hours. How do they get permission for something like this?
  • edited September 2014
    Loud and clear up on upper stroud green road.  Most of these events have been quiet.  No wonder they locked the gates.  I suggest a barrage of emails  I think the control that the park events have shown in the past has been broken by the organisers of this individual event.  Saying that it's not hard for the council(s) to have a warden monitoring sound for each event and demanding a reduction when necessary.  I'm used to noise living on a main road but understand your concerns.
  • <div><font size="2"><span style="line-height: 1.7em;">This is the result of a public body that has apparently decided to defecate over its bcouncil tax payers and probably many </span><span style="line-height: 22px;">of its</span><span style="line-height: 1.7em;"> </span><span style="line-height: 22px;">political</span><span style="line-height: 1.7em;"> </span><span style="line-height: 22px;">supporters.  People don't forget these ignorant slights, councillors.</span></font><br></div>
  • The council insisted that event info went to local residents 2 weeks ago. I live in Ennis rd and haven't received anything. Neither have friends in Scarborough, Victoria or Perth Roads. Head of Client Services (the man responsible for events in the park) Simon Farrow is refusing to acknowledge that residents haven't received anything. He states 'we know they went out because we've received phone calls from residents who got them' If you have any complaints about the events (especially considering the freedom of information request revealed that the councils' original reason for pushing the unpopular 6 event policy through was misleading), feel free to contact Simon. Simon.Farrow@haringey.gov.uk Might be an idea to cc Lynne@LynneFeatherstone.org into any correspondence.
  • Most of the way up Crouch Hill here & yesterday was piss take loud. <div><br></div><div>Mind you, I'm more upset that a few years back i would have been in attendance having it large rather than sitting at home worrying about peace & quite! ;-) </div>
  • i'm not so bothered by the noise, for same reason as skev303, but the closing of oxford street gate is a total p-take. <br><br>no warning, no advance notice, just closed by security who are following orders and not worth taking it out on.<br><br>over the summer events this has happened several times, without explanation or notice, early or mid-afternoon. <br><br>it's bad enough that our public park is being taken over for a private function without any apparent benefit to the community, but when the public right of way is inconveniently barred without warning too, i'd question the legality of it all.<br>
  • I have been in touch with Cllr Tim Gallagher about it this weekend. There is a stakeholder meeting about the park this week at which issues will be raised, so people should also contact him. DillysDad, is the FOI response available anywhere? I have been contemplating putting one in myself about how the original decision was made but it sounds as if someone has already done it. If people are up for organising to raise concerns (maybe a petition?) and push for a review, I'd certainly get involved. 
  • I quite enjoyed myself there.  Surprisingly it wasn't that loud when you were actually inside the tents.
  • It did seem noisier than usual, though we're out past Londis so that means distracting not intrusive.<br><br>If anyone is following this up, I'd be interested to know how much they make per event, how much the park costs to run and how much of the event money is ploughed back into improving the park.  Six concerts a year is reasonable if there's a local benefit to be had.  Well at least for me anyway as I am close enough to use the park without having to suffer from the concerts. :)<br><br>Also why not offer free tickets to locals?
  • @Duncan - this has been discussed before, The money genertaed from the concerts will be ploughed back into council accounts and wont be reinvested in the park. 
  • I didn't think it was that loud <br><br>It seemed to finnish quite  early and was well organised.<br><br>I am sure I have seen publicity saying the Oxford Rd Gate were being closed I think it was 4pm.  This is probbaly in resppnse to people in Oxford Rd complaining when they aren't closed and all the people that use it to access /leave the concert.  There was a few issues  after  the  Stone Roses concert  last year and the gate was also closed at 4pm for Artic Monkeys.<br><br>All the info is one here and has been  for a while<br><br>http://www.haringey.gov.uk/index/community_and_leisure/greenspaces/parks_and_open_spaces_parks_facilities/finsburypark/finsburyparkevents.htm<br><br>So what is the moaning about !  I think the council did publicise what  was going to happen  and it is very easy for you to check<br>
  • <p>Closing the gate, along with severely restricting access along that entire side of the park, is the lesser of two evils. The alternative is that thousands upon thousands of concert-goers trawl through Stroud Green, but with all the gates closed they have to arrive and depart via Seven Sisters/Manor House (I've been to a couple, you really have no choice). This makes for a much, much quieter day and especially night for Stroud Green residents.</p><p>I do agree this concert was louder than most others. On balance though I'm happy for half a dozen a year such events to take place in "our" park. It's great to have so many big live music events in London and only right we bear our fair share.</p><p><br></p>
  • It seemed to use less of the Park as I saw people playing football down nr to Seven Sister Road just as normal.<br>
  • edited September 2014
    <div><span style="font-family: Arial; font-size: small;">The concerts this weekend started much earlier (11am) than either The Arctic Monkeys (16.30pm) or the Wireless festival (13.20pm) and it seemed non-stop all day and all evening.</span></div><div><span style="font-family: Arial; font-size: small;"><br></span></div><div><span style="font-family: Arial; font-size: small;">I wasn't bothered by the noise but I do have a fundamental objection to public spaces/parks being handed over to corporations to hold for profit events. A small funfair or circus is one thing, but ticket sales from the concerts held this summer generated tens of millions in revenue for the promoters. How much did Haringey council receive as a rental fee? Has the figure been published?</span></div><div><span style="line-height: 1.7em; font-family: Arial; font-size: small;"><br></span></div><div><span style="line-height: 1.7em; font-family: Arial; font-size: small;">Even if someone supports these events in the park, the set-up and breakdown times means huge sections of the park are off limits for weeks at a time. </span></div><div><span style="line-height: 1.7em; font-family: Arial; font-size: small;"><br></span></div><div><span style="line-height: 1.7em; font-family: Arial; font-size: small;">It's really outrageous. People would be up in arms if any other sort of company set up shop in the park.</span></div>
  • The area for the events this weekend was far far smaller than the Arctic Monkey/Wireless events.  They were both all day clubbing events so music from midday to 10pm.  Being dance music I think the bass carried further and was also constant - no gaps between either tunes or sets.<br>
  • edited December 2017
  • I responded to the consultation and also to Lynne Featherstone's email to say that I supported the concert. I live on a street that backs onto the Parkland Walk and although I could hear the base throbbing while I was napping on Saturday it really wasn't that bad. What a pity if people can't attend concerts in parks. I misspent much of my youth at festivals in Victoria Park which I'm sure mist have been very annoying for the residents of Hackney. Similarly the Notting Hill Carnival must be a nightmare. But what a pity if these kind of events were banned because of a bunch of killjoys with petitions. It just seems like the worst kind of nimbyism.
  • How do you feel about our air being poisoned by carbon emissions, Lololala? Are those of us who object to being poisoned to be dismissed as nimbies? My neighbours don't want me to practise my instruments at home, so I don't. Are they nimbies? Many of us - the majority, I hope - think there should be strict controls about music noise. The air belongs to all of us. Others are angered by the ever-increasing abuse of the park. The park too should belong to all of us. You accuse us all of being selfish, in effect. The selfishness, on a massive scale, lies elsewhere.
  • edited September 2014
    Strangely I find myself understanding Lololala's view. Festivals do have to have a venue. I wouldn't go to one in a field, but other people do like them, it's not a new thing - Woodstock, Isle of Wight, Glastonbury etc. were all annoying neighbours forty odd years ago. I am happy for other people to go to festivals in fields, I'm just annoyed that it's my park they are in which does make me a NIMBY. I am massively opposed to access to the park being restricted for it but closing Oxford Rd gate probably does help to control the event. The main issue for me is that Haringey's (I'm Islington thank the lord), shoddy Labour council uses the cash raised to plug holes in their mismanaged budget , and to fund payouts for their disgustingly inept officials rather than reinvest it into cleaners and park keepers for the park.
  • Miss Annie. <div><br></div><div>The festivals you instance are once-a-year events, aren't they? If last weekend were the only concert until mid-September next year,  and for 12 months the park would revert to being the peaceful, life-enhancing venue for the entire community that it has always been, - then you would, I suppose, have more of a case. But 16 (?) DAYS A YEAR?? Come on, you festival fans - surely that is outrageous?<div><br></div><div>I think you are spot on in the second half of your post. To use the park as a source of income, and to ignore its primary purpose - I see that as a form of rape.</div></div>
  •  @Lololala, I agree, absolutely but there's a big difference between the Notting Hill carnival and events such as the concerts in Finsbury Park and that is the carnival is organised by the local community and is free and open to everyone to enjoy. The concerts are not.<div><br></div><div>I didn't grow up with a music festival culture and don't have any rights of passage stories to tell about attending one (though I could happily regale you with stories of the 1980s Lower East Side NYC).</div><div><br></div><div>There seems to be a nostalgia about festivals of yore and youth and I understand that, but as an 'outsider' from what were a few major festivals in the past, we've gone to many, many festivals today that cater to every sort of demographic and haven't they become consumerised events or product categories that people purchase and not genuine experiences anymore? Maybe that's just my bias or I'm just getting too damn old. </div><div><br></div><div>It isn't always NIMBYism. A festival out in field somewhere, on privately owned land, I have no issue with. But when multi-million pound, for profit, enterprises are held in my local park, I take exception. It's the principle, not the noise or inconvenience that bothers me.</div><div><br></div><div>@Miss Annie -- what you said. exactly.</div><div><br></div>
  • @Checksi -- I can see you are fired up but I don't think you really meant what you wrote?