Pocket Money Loans

<div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><span style="line-height: normal;">Has anyone yet noticed this bizarre addition to the Stroud Green Road?</span></font></div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><span style="line-height: normal;"><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><span style="line-height: normal;"><br></span></font></div> face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><span style="line-height: normal;">http://www.pocketmoneyloans.com/</span><br></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><span style="line-height: normal;"><br></span></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><span style="line-height: normal;">Happily it appears to be a satire.</span></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><span style="line-height: normal;"><br></span></font></div>

Comments

• It appears to be realted to this hilarity: http://spellingmistakescostlives.com/
  • edited October 2014
    Quite a few people are making colossal tits of themselves on Twitter because of it.
  • they really are. I do think the people behind PocketMoneyLoans are making a really great point
  • I love the pic of the kid with the shopping bags!
  • <div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><span style="line-height: normal;"><div>Press Release found on the website:</div><div><br></div><div>" As you might have guessed, the shop is in fact a work of satire created by London based artist </div><div>Darren Cullen, who says he wants to draw attention to, among other things, the way the </div><div>consumer credit industry preys on the vulnerable and targets children with marketing.</div><div><br></div></span></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><span style="line-height: normal;">The shop is the first installation to take place in Finsbury Park’s new Atom Gallery, 77 Stroud </span></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><span style="line-height: normal;">Green Road, and runs from the 27th October until the 8th November (Mon-Sat, 10am-6pm)"</span></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><span style="line-height: normal;"><br></span></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><span style="line-height: normal;"><br></span></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><span style="line-height: normal;">Looking forward to seeing it :)</span></font></div>
  • Walked past this today, so amusing but it really is making an important point.<div><br></div><div>I've also been waiting a while to find out what the old payday cheque place became, I'm sure the fact it's an art gallery won't appeal to a few on here.</div>
  • it's great, though does irony work on the young? would hesitate to show it to my 10-year-old ...
  • Hi Stroud Green.org..<div>I have been running a little art printing business from home, Wray Cres for the past few years and have just taken over no 77 Stroud Green Road from Cheque Centres. I  knew Darren was looking for a location for his Pocket Money Loans idea,  and I had the perfect venue. He has been getting a lot of press attention, on Huffington Post today.  Some of his posters inside are wickedly funny, come and have a look. PMLs disappears after the 8th and we do a low budget refurb to try and make the place a little less soulless and open properly as the Atom Gallery on the 20th Nov with Agent Provocateur's System Failure..stencil art, paintings, a mural or two at least one screenprint. the back of the shop will be digital and screenprinting for fine art prints and the front a gallery of affordable work, mainly prints, very much along the Jealous model when everything was based in Crouch End.</div>
  • The few on here 'to whom it won't appeal' would presumably rather it remained as a pay day loan shop?  I know the bloke who's opening Atom Gallery, and as far as 'there goes'(or should that be 'here comes'?) the neighbouhood is concerned, he's lived here for over thirty years, so I reckon he's entitled to his Crouch End moment
  • Crouch End is so Noughties. I'd much rather have a Stroud Green moment.
  • Yes!..with just a little more edge to it!
  • <p>The Pocket Money Loans things is brilliant and an Art Gallery on Stroud Green Road will be amazing. My Dad grew up in the area in the 50s, not sure which he'd find more unbelievable!</p><p>Very best of luck to both of ya!</p>
  • thanks Fin...guy from Snow White dry cleaner came in today, very cross, was giving Darren a proper hard time til he realised it was a spoof, he was a very good sport about it..
  • <font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><span style="line-height: normal;">It was in the Huffington Post a couple of days ago</span></font><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><br></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><span style="line-height: normal;">http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/10/29/darren-cullens-pocket-money-loans-kids-lampoons-vile-culture-payday-loans_n_6066576.html</span></font><br></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><span style="line-height: normal;"><br></span></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><span style="line-height: normal;"><br></span></font></div>
  • Walked past today. Looked like a news team filming today with children playing inside. Its a great idea using art and humour to to bring to attention a very serious and important social issue. Thank you guys for this.
  • As the weather is good I've been cycling but usually cut up Charteris road from the tube anyway, I keep missing this.  I'll have to take a walk down there. 
  • i went there a couple of days ago and interviewed darren and took some pics. loved the fact he'd had a threat from speedy cash over trademark infringement.<br><br>i wrote a little piece about it on my blog.<br>http://indyrikki.wordpress.com/2014/10/30/pocket-money-loans-for-kids-could-it-be-real/<br>;
  • Nice one Rikki...dont forget to mention it will be a more convnetional (but not more boring!) gallery opening on the 20th Nov...<div>Yes Sutent..BBC News London were here today and the piece will be shown between 5 and 6 on Saturday, we hope.</div>
  • I was so distracted today that for a minute I thought it was real... Very cleverly done. 
  • Darren keeps getting people actually wanting loans...he now has some hand outs with the names of affordable lenders, credit unions etc.
  • Was on BBC London news just now, nice little piece. I asked her to mention Atom Gallery but you can't have everything.
  • edited November 2014
    <font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><span style="line-height: normal;">http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-29863979</span></font>;
  • Russia Today cancelled their TV bit because the BBC had got there first..they told Darren that in the future if they can get there first they will cover it but not after mainstream media have got there.
  • Ah yes, Russia Today, the Kremlin propaganda channel that likes to pose as underground and alternative. Alongside Press TV, probably the only channel to make getting coverage from the Mail or Murdoch rags look like a good thing.
  • And the BBC is a front for the British upper class.  It also seems to have shielded and incubated many pedophilles and abusers like Saville and Dave Lee Travis.  <div><br></div><div>I agree Russia Today is propaganda but so is the BBC in its own way. </div>
  • The neutrality of the BBC is demonstrated by the fact that no-one thinks that is biased in their favour.
  • Perhaps politically the BBC tends towards the point of view of the establishment. There are petitions around demanding space for the Green Party, if UKIP continues to be taken seriously on air, as, disgracefully, it is. But only a tiny part of the BBC's output is news. Radios 3 and 4 are unparalled as providers of cultural and intellectual riches, for which reason I find Kreuzkav's remarks childish and offensive. The BBC  is a world class broadcaster, no matter how left wing and critical we consider ourselves to be.
  • I agree the BBC is a great resource.  But propaganda comes in all shapes and sizes. 
  • Re: BBC bias, what Arkady said. And it wasn't half so handy a shield for paedos as the Church or the Conservative Party.
  • edited November 2014
    @ ADGS.  I agree but I wasn't comparing the BBC to the Church or the Conservative Party.<div><br></div><div>I love the BBC but it is Auntie  and doesn't always know best.</div><div><br></div><div>I wasn't comparing it to Russia Today but stating it also has issues.</div>