CDs

edited October 2011 in Local discussion
I have decided to get rid of my Ye Olde Compact Dyskes. It's not huge - around 200 I reckon - but I haven't listened to a CD for about three years and they have become clutter. Has anyone done this? How do you do it? I'm thinking of doing a local bootsale. I'm not sure any dealer would be interested (they are largely not of great musical taste). I could donate them, but surely Mind doesn't want 200 CDs. I suppose I could deliver to several different shops but I really can't be arsed. And has anyone done it but regretted it? I think getting rid of some will be an emotional wrench (the Best of T'Pau, for instance).

Comments

• edited 5:27AM
    I saw T'Pau live once.
    Tip – remove disks from cases. Stack them on top of each other. Feed a LED cable or similar narrow light-emitting device through the holes. Voila – a cool lamp for the corner of your room. Google ‘CD lamp’ and you’ll see what I mean. You still need to find a way of disposing of the cases, but it’s recycling of a sort.
    You could try this:-

http://www.musicmagpie.co.uk/
    When I was a 'general dogsbody' at a university magazine for about two weeks in the mid-90s, I used to hoover up all the dubious CD singles that got sent in for review. I don't think they even did reviews. I recently found a bunch of them in my loft and thought there might be gold in there, from bands that have since become famous. The best I had was an early EP by the Corrs. The Corrs. Hardly worth the storage. I do however have rare CD single copies of "In the Groove Again" by Out of my hair and several copies of "Famous", by Thurman. Is there an official Britpop archive I can submit them to? < <
    @tosscat Words nearly fail me. How? Why? Trying to impress someone? Into T'Pau at the time? What were they like? Did you know the words to anything bar "China in Your Hand"? You surely can't say something like that and then leave us hanging!
    Oi, I like the Corrs!
    You can't actually like the Corrs.
    Taff Bach likes Dylan. It's not possible to like Dylan and the Corrs, it would cause a tear in the fabric of the time-space continuum.
    Oh sorry, I thought you meant the insipid American beer. Is it OK to like Bert Jansch?
    I mean RIP Bert Jansch, that wasn't a threat.
    I know the girl who inspired 'Famous' by Thurman. Ironically, this may be the worst claim to fame ever.
    Brilliant brilliant. Did she become famous? What happened?
  • IanIan
    edited 5:27AM
    @emine - I am always in the market for topping up my cd collection with old music at the right price ...
    There is a website where you type in the bar code and they give you a price for it - www.musicmagpie.co.uk and you send them off freepost. Most CDs are valued at less than a £1 so it's probably only worth the hassle if you've got quite a few, but I've noticed that compilations/double albums seem to be worth a bit more.
    I think someone mentioned that one earlier on, it's good though.
    Yes, they did sorry, I skimmed through the previous posts without noticing......
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Andy: not really. She was in a band with Emma, formerly of this parish, but they were more a way of life than the sort who'd ever do anything so passe as play a gig.
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions. All good ideas. @Arkady - is it possible to like both Dylan and Whitney Houston? I have been through my collection and it mostly seems to be made up of those two. (No Corrs I'm relieved to report.)
    @ADGS. Yes. We used to see Thurman and others in the Tesco on Cowley Road, along with some of Supergrass and the Candyskins and occasionally Mark Gardener (though he was something of an eminence grise by then).
  • Have scanned a few with musicmagpie, but they are averaging £0.30 for pretty well-respected albums.<div><br></div><div>Any opinions on a particular charity shop in the area that deserves about 300 CDs?  Can be SGR or Crouch End.</div>
  • The Oxfam bookshop in Crouch End gives a lot of space to cds and vinyl - they could probably cope better with a large collection than some of the others.<div><br></div><div>I keep sorting pathetically through old LPs and wondering what to do with those - I put them on a pile to go, I change my mind, I remind myself I don't actually have a turntable any more and haven't had for years ...</div>
  • thanks conformable_kate, that's a good shout.   <br>