Finsbury Park Station/City North Development

Comments

• it was good at 7.30 as well, but i really don't want  to imagine it at peak time either ahaha.<div><br></div><div>it will be very difficult if they start shutting finsbury park down for overcrowding regularly.</div><div><br></div><div>I guess i ll have to start using crouch hill to come back :D<br><div><br></div></div>
  • Using Crouch Hill will work until June, but then the line line closes for eight months for an electrification upgrade.
  • If you only have a zone 2 travelcard and made to go to seven sisters(zone 3) you are technically fare evading and therefore committing a criminal offence and liable to a criminal record.
  • @joev<;div><br></div><div>Closed for 8 months?  Where did you find that?</div><div><br></div><div>It doesn't jive with TFL's latest announcement:  http://content.tfl.gov.uk/track-closures.pdf</div><div><br></div><div><br></div>;
  • <font face="Arial, Verdana"><span style="font-size: 13.3333px; line-height: normal;">Read it in the Standard:</span></font><div><font face="Arial, Verdana"><span style="font-size: 13.3333px; line-height: normal;"><br></span></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana"><span style="font-size: 13.3333px; line-height: normal;">http://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/barking-to-gospel-oak-overground-line-to-shut-for-eight-months-to-allow-upgrade-works-a3164041.html</span></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana"><span style="font-size: 13.3333px; line-height: normal;"><br></span></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana"><span style="font-size: 13.3333px; line-height: normal;">Someone who is more transit savvy may know more. I thought this idea/plan was floated last year? Im surprised work is beginning so quickly.</span></font></div>
  • <font face="Arial, Verdana"><span style="font-size: 10pt; line-height: normal;">Digging around, it looks like the GOBLIN will be partially closed from June to September 2016 and then fully closed from October 2016 to February 2017.</span></font><div><font face="Arial, Verdana"><span style="font-size: 10pt; line-height: normal;"><br></span></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana"><span style="font-size: 13.3333px; line-height: normal;">http://www.globalrailnews.com/2016/02/02/eight-month-closure-planned-for-goblin-electrification/</span><span style="font-size: 10pt; line-height: normal;"> </span></font><div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><br></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana"><span style="font-size: 13.3333px; line-height: normal;">http://www.railtechnologymagazine.com/Rail-News/tfl-tries-to-reduce-line-closure-time-for-goblin-electrification?dorewrite=false</span></font><br></div></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana"><span style="font-size: 13.3333px; line-height: normal;"><br></span></font></div><div><p style="padding: 0px 0px 1em; margin: 0px; line-height: 1.4em; cursor: default; font-family: Arial, Verdana, 'sans serif'; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); background-repeat: no-repeat;">"From early June to late September 2016, the line will be part-closed, with trains running between Gospel Oak and South Tottenham on weekdays, but none from South Tottenham onto Barking, and no services at all on weekends.</p><p style="padding: 0px 0px 1em; margin: 0px; line-height: 1.4em; cursor: default; font-family: Arial, Verdana, 'sans serif'; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); background-repeat: no-repeat;">The 14-mile line will be completely closed from October 2016 to early February 2017..."</p></div></div>
  • Being unable to get off a tube because the station is too busy is madness.
  • edited February 2016
    So in the latest turn of events (now to be known as the great Finsbury Park cluster zzzz!), the roadworks contractors are tearing up the exit to the Wells Terrace bus station, forcing the buses onto Morris Place where there is 1 small bus shelter and a narrowing pavement! This will be for 10 days. So we have now: - Islington rebuilding/reconfiguring Stroud Green Road underneath the railway forcing all sorts of fun weaving of people. this goes on until March sometime - The start of works to the LU station (building the lift shafts) which is forcing everyone off a Northbound tube to go up the spiral stairs, into the NR station and kicking them out the StationPlace side which means you have to go under the railway bridge to head towards Stroud Green ( which is a construction worksite!) this goes on until September and - if you want a bus, you have to shove yourself down Morris Place with all your favourite people! Oh yes, Thames Water seem to be ripping upper the Tollington Park junction which means the buses are all being delayed! Why they could of not waited to do the work to the bus station until the school half term to reduce the number of people wanting the buses is beyond me! There was always going to have to do overlap this work but you could not make this up!
  • I saw the bus station blocked off this morning and the temporary traffic lights at Tollington Park. It looks horrible
  • It's like the last days of the Roman empire.  All we need now is a fiddler in a franchise coffee shop called Nero.
  • <p>You don't have to go up the spiral stairs from Northbound platforms. One set of normal stairs at the far end of the platform is still open, you can exit for Wells Terrace as usual. I used it today. People are just being sheep and assuming that's the only way out.</p><p>I walk home from there so fortunately I'm not subject to bus carnage.</p>
  • Not if you travel between 17:00 and nearly 19:00. LU have a member of staff with a loudspeaker blocking the way to the stairs! They may need to change this otherwise through running will become common place. Mind the Gap!
  • Ah, I just missed it then. Had a rare early finish and came through at 7.15pm.
  • On the bright side, by Easter the roadworks will be done (fingers crossed) leaving the station works which are needed after all. Of course once the City North development starts expect more disruption!
  • Green Lanes has major works and they started the closure of Archway gyratory on Monday - the amount of traffic going along Hornsey Road is ridiculous.
  • @maclondon where do they position the staff? I assume they aren't sending everyone up the spiral stairs?
  • Kreuz...your comment Hah. Pure genius. Thanks ;-)))
  • edited December 2017
  • Without the transport links it will increase the stroud green village feel.
  • The overground at H&I is taking a hit too. The Whitechapel branch is closing for a week
  • Suggest we take advantage of our isolation from the world by building Les Mis style barricades and perhaps break a water main so we can create a Venice style canal out of Stroud Green Road! May take weeks for the authorities to realise we have done it...
  • I'm definitely up for a Napoleon-of-Notting Hill-style uprising.
  • I cycle over to Kensington for work.<div><br><div>I can confirm that London is carnage at the moment. Roads being dug up everywhere with seemingly no logical plan to keep traffic flowing in anyway.</div></div>
  • Someone once told me, a taxi driver I think, that councils and contractors have to spend their whole budget each year otherwise it's cut for the next year, so if they have money in the pot in January they start masses of projects so it can all be spent before April. No idea if that is the case but there are always a lot of works in February and March.
  • It is true Miss Annie - particularly when it is specific funding from central government or GLA. This behaviour also still happens with utilities even though they were privatised decades ago - the Tollington Park works look like this kinda of behaviour. The roadworks around London is also driven by the cycle superhighway implementation which is partly due to the other driver of a legacy for Boris.
  • Passport to Pimlico.....er Stroud Green. UDI now!
  • All the work started early this time round though - the madness has been going on since before Christmas.<div><br></div><div>TFL and Royal Parks are improving the cycle way through Kensington Palace Gardens and Hyde Park with the road that goes over the Serpentine. It's absolutely shambolic at the moment.</div><div><br></div><div>They are just dumping cyclists onto the main road with no diversion route off the road through the park. </div><div><br></div><div>It's pretty disgraceful considering how easy it would be to provide an alternative off-road park route.</div><div><br></div><div>Seems to me the authorities show more concern in closing roads for people to build multi-million pound flats that they do for the safety of ordinary Londoners cycling to work.</div>
  • Stroud Green is turning into Crouch End in more than one way!
  • In terms of the central London works, when they started the works at Elephant and Castle, Embankment, Blackfriars Bridge, Aldgate and Victoria internally TfL were referring to it as "Carmeggedon" 
  • Hi all,<div><br></div><div>Thought I'd bring this back to the forefront of the conversation seeing as it was once such a lively thread. Anyone have any updates or know what is happening with the current contractor? Are they going through a re-procurement phase at the moment for a new contractor?</div><div><br></div><div>Also, any idea on dates for when works will happen?</div><div><br></div>