The White Lion

Comments

• I booked via the first email that you list.
  • edited March 2016
    Edit: just received confirmation on Twitter.
  • That's a very fancy menu but really not the kind of thing I would want to eat in a pub. <div><br></div><div>Also too short, this whole short menu thing I am finding looks attractive but just leads to a lack of choice when I want to actually eat. </div>
  • edited March 2016
    Looks a decent length to me, I've seen shorter. One should treat long menus with scepticism, especially in places where they're not serving food at high volume. Few places have a huge menu and do that many dishes well (Dotori is a notable exception...), and consistent quality across dishes is always a desirable trait.
  • Dog friendly in the front bar but not in the dining area.
  • I'm in favour of short menus. Lots I would consider eating from it too. I do raise an eyebrow at the prices though- they seem to be going for a more sophisticated (or at least more fancilly written) menu than Season, at prices that equal or exceed Season's. It had better equal or exceed in quality too (which I'd be most surprised by) or... well I'd rather just eat at Season.
  • <p>Agree with @Arkady there.... though on the other hand there is always something nice about being in a pub. As nice as Season is, it's not a pub. </p><p>Prices seem fine. With all our talk earlier in the thread about having a pub that does really good food - if the food is great then that's what I expect to pay. It's when the food is average and they charge that much when it gets annoying and makes me not want to return.</p>
  • Short menus in restaurants can be good / short expensive menus in pubs bad. <span style="font-size: 10pt;">That's my theory. </span><div><br></div><div>Especially if said short menu consists of two vegetable options, a chicken breast, an expensive steak, two lots of expensive fish and a £15 lamb dish.</div><div><br></div><div>Good luck to them, I hope and am sure it will be very nice. </div><div><br></div><div>But I'm not sure where the White Lion is aiming at now, that looks like top-end gastro pub food, ie the kind of place that's basically a restaurant.</div>
  • Completely agree with @south_to_north. Unless you have incredibly high turnover, it's impossible to keep enough fresh ingredients on hand to cater for a huge menu. Long pub menus usually suggests a lot of frozen / bought-in food to me. (Which is fine, if that's what you want to eat).<div><br></div><div>Sounds like a few from here are already booked in, so I look forward to hearing what you think. Do go easy on them - it's called a soft launch for a reason. ;)</div>
  • @papal I think a high end gastro that's basically a restaurant is exactly what they're going for. It's either going to work or it isn't - certainly I don't have the money to eat at a place like that regularly but I'm sure there are plenty others who do / plenty in the immediately adjacent neighbourhoods who are willing to travel to somewhere nice. It'll be interesting to see how it works out. 
  • I think the menu looks quite good - though when did turnip tops become the new culinary black? They're everywhere at the moment! Anxiously awaiting confirmation of reservation...
  • I didn't realise they were going so high-end, I thought it was going to be a pub.<div><br></div><div>For those who do want food at more pub-like prices, I am a big fan of the Shaftesbury.</div>
  • I'm slightly surprised at the high endness of it too.   Not sure I'll be rushing there just yet.   <div><br>The Shaftesbury has really grown on me, it's a really friendly place, and I have a soft spot for the Queens.<div><br></div></div>
  • This is the restaurant menu, other Urban Pubs I've been to tend to have a more informal burger etc. menu.<br>
  • The menu that CityofSin just posted is not the restaurant menu that I posted earlier (the link to that is now dead though).<div><br></div>
  • Does that really mean you buy an inch of sausage roll for £2?<div><br></div><div>Snackflation is rampant.</div><div><br></div><div>(That menu looks more publike, albeit only two actual meals on it.)</div>
  • Happy to take a 50% early bird tryout on the food but I doubt if I'll be eating there again at those prices. Whether or not I use the place in future will totally depend on drinks range/prices, atmosphere, decor, clientele, bar staff and general friendliness. I too thought it was going to be a pub. The area is already well served with good pubs, I suspect it will be too high-end.
  • I presume they're still doing steak night on a Tuesday? (£5.49 includes a pint)
  • I was under the impression there was going to be a pub part and then a dining room part - something for everyone?
  • That is my impression, pub at the front - dining room at the back. We will find out in 3 and a bit hours time<br>
  • I'll be there, but later on. My table is booked for 21:00, and I have to build some furniture first. Hope to see some of you good people in the bar sometime before 21:00.
  • I will be there early on, but will check in the bar for a ppp (post prandial pint) around 8-ish.
  • Neck Oil on tap. Glorious. Nearly six quid though.
  • Hmmm £7.50 for a glass of Pinot G and £2 for an inch of sausage roll. I'd say its days may be numbered at those prices.
  • Ouch. Key question, how high and wide is the sausage roll?
  • £4.30 for a Symonds - decent price.  Food was excellent, definitely more Seasons than Dairy. Redwell West Coast Pale ale was very very tasty too, but in the £5+ territory.<div><br></div><div>Was a little SG.org meetup, I was next to Krappy (who stole my cod), could see Vetski and was sat behind Arkady.  Felt a little awks to say hi to anyone though especially as people looked deep in convo.</div>
  • I liked it.  Definitiely a position above other pubs in the area, would be great for a date.  I was surprised how small it felt, I guess with such a big double bar you lose lots of space, plus a very large area of pub is given over to the dining room.
  • Neck Oil costs around £2.70 for a can from an off license, which equates to £4.70 for a pint equivalent.<div><br></div><div>A can of strongbox/kronenbourg/stella (pint) from an off license is £1.20.</div><div><br></div><div>A pub serves Neck Oil for £5.90 but a Strongbow/Kron/Stella etc. for £4.50ish.  Which do people feel is the better deal?</div>
  • I 100% agree with this point - I'd rather the neck oil. Better beer and better value (both in my humble opinion). There is however a price point where a number of people won't go above, regardless of perceived value. Quite interesting pub economics on this I'm sure