Realistic estate agents

I need to get my flat valued but I want a realistic valuation - one that gives the value rather than some ridiculous asking price.<div><br></div><div>Any suggestions on local estate agents who are more likely to give a realistic (read lower) valuation? Will definitely be avoiding Foxtons!</div>

Comments

• Davies & Davies on Stroudgreen Road, or Christopher Charles. Yes avoid Foxtons
  • <div>i second kitty gal</div><div><br></div>get 3 and take the average?<div><br></div><div>or go and talk to these two and say you want a valuation which would get the flat sold within 2 weeks - time is money and all that</div>
  • Get three and make sure there is some diversity in there, so I'd say get one from Crouch End. If you actually plan to sell, would also strongly consider one of the flat-fee online estate agents. Could save you £5,000.<div><br></div><div>Many people argue the case for Davies & Davies on here and I have always thought them decent, but when we sold five years ago and the £250,000 stamp duty threshold existed we were told a price on our flat that would have done them more favours than it did us. We ended up marketing and selling it for considerably more.</div><div><br></div><div>Just goes to show that you need to be wary of whomever you choose to give you a valuation. </div><div><br></div><div>We ended up selling through Castles in Crouch End and they were pretty good.</div>
  • <p>We had a similar experience to Papa L - We ended up selling through Castles in Crouch End and sold for 15K more than the top Christopher Charles valuation so higher doesn't necessarily mean unrealistic.</p>
  • It depends on your flat but if it's finished to a high standard then Prickett and Ellis will get you the top price. They're highly professional and attract good buyers - downside is expensive commission but worth it for the service you receive.
  • I sold through Davies & Davies in November. I will never ever use them for a sale ever again. Ghastly experience.
  • Get a few estimates, but if you do plan to sell I'd seriously consider an online agent. easyProperty, Purple Bricks, Yopa, HouseSimple, Tepilo all offer varying degrees of service and price - should cost about £1,000 rather than more than £5,000 on the traditional percentage high street agent basis.
  • Vetski, what went wrong?
  • @Mirandola - just about everything. But since it's possible they might read this, I shall refrain from detail. They know they pissed me off mightily.
  • <p>I have previously found David Andrew on Stroud Green Road (opposite the Italian Deli) highly professional. Seem to value fairly rather than ridiculously or low-balling for an easy sale. Mark Campbell is the manager there, good guy.</p>
  • Great, thanks for the recommendations!<br>