N19 pub under new management

<font face="Arial, Verdana"><span style="font-size: 10pt; line-height: normal;">So Remy finally left for pastures new and Tom from W.B Yeats has taken over.</span></font><br><br><font face="Arial, Verdana"><span style="font-size: 10pt; line-height: normal;">Have to say it was completely rammed on the Friday before last when i was in there, with people that i have not seen in there before (not that i am the N19 police ), so maybe they like the way the Yeats was run?</span></font><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><br></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;">Was also rammo on Sunday, the food looked a little more jazzed up as well, it was nice food before anyway but it's served on a chopping board now <span style="font-size: 10pt;">:-\"</span></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><span style="font-size: 10pt;"><br></span></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana"><span style="font-size: 10pt; line-height: normal;">Just in case you think i work for the PR department, i can tell you the the Shaftesbury was also jam packed on both days, and good luck to them as the </span><span style="font-size: 13.3333px; line-height: normal;">Sunday</span><span style="font-size: 10pt; line-height: normal;"> vinyl thing is </span><span style="font-size: 13.3333px; line-height: normal;">excellent</span><span style="font-size: 10pt; line-height: normal;">, although i notice the trousers are becoming rolled up and the </span><span style="font-size: 13.3333px; line-height: normal;">mustaches</span><span style="font-size: 10pt; line-height: normal;"> are in evidence.</span><br><br><span style="font-size: 10pt; line-height: normal;">Swimmers also busy on </span><span style="font-size: 13.3333px; line-height: normal;">Sunday</span><span style="font-size: 10pt; line-height: normal;"> (scarily i had not been in there for 6 years) and the Enkel was, well, the Enkel.</span><br><br><span style="font-size: 10pt; line-height: normal;">Also dropped </span><span style="font-size: 13.3333px; line-height: normal;">into</span><span style="font-size: 10pt; line-height: normal;"> the newly renovated Florin on Holloway road on Saturday night, they have sorted the place out and had a very good Irish band on, if that's your thing.<br></span></font></div><br>

Comments

• Yes, alas poor Remy. I shall miss him. The food is now being done by Ascend, whoever they might be (this is their FB page: https://www.facebook.com/ascendnorthnineteen/?fref=ts) - am seeing Tony tomorrow, so will enquire!
  • Wonder what happened to the chef. Also wonder how Yeats will go now, heard not some not too complimentary comments about the physical interest of the owner recently.
  • @holborn fox "Physical interest of the owner"? Would be nice for North 19 to get a couple more beers on keg, as I don't always want an ale and I'm not a lager person. I do drink guiness a lot, but never in a pub where it isn't poured enough. I had a Guinness in the landseer once and it was disgusting...
  • I had a Sunday roast at N19 a couple of weeks ago and I didn't really enjoy it, under cooked carrots and far too many of them and potatoes weren't great either. They are very friendly in there though. <div><br></div><div>I've heard from Sid at the Landseer that it's being taken over. Hope whoever is taking it over does a good job, I really like that pub. </div>
  • @south_to_north just what I heard, may not be true to be fair. I have heard that the landseer was sold but it has stayed the same so far, not my kind of pub anyway but that dining room is seriously wasted.
  • Sounds like I should explore the pubs around Hornsey Road! I've only been to The Shaftesbury and wasn't wowed, but that was soon after they refurbed/reopened. Are there any with gardens or terraces?<div><br></div><div>@HolbornFox The W B Yeats seems to be thriving. I like the cheerful new barman and they have a very good chef starting at the end of the month. I've missed their Sunday roasts.</div>
  • @HolbornFox, Ascend is the chef - he's running the kitchen as a separate business. Tom & N19 have parted ways.<div><br></div><div>@CityofSin, N19 has a raised terrace, which is accessed through the back bar, & also seating outside the front which is mostly hedged around.</div>
  • The Shaftesbury is a cracking pub. It has a terrace but that overlooks the Hornsey Road.<div>Quite like the N19 but not been in for years.</div><div>The Prince Alfred on Marlborough Road / Sussex Way has picnic tables outside and a wide pavement onto relatively quite roads. Could be an outside option.</div><div><br></div><div>So has the guy who was running there WB Yeats left there now for the N19, or is he doing both?</div>
  • @vetski Thanks, good to know for when the weather improves. We can't all squeeze into the Fullback's outdoor area... ;)<div><br></div><div>@Papa L - No, the manager of the W B Yeats is Colin (Northern Irish guy) and he hasn't moved anywhere.</div>
  • @krappyrubsnif The landseer has by far the best outside space, very peaceful and it catches the sun nicely in the afternoon.
  • As far as I know the people taking over the landseer already run a pub in Barnsbury. They intend to bring some live music to the landseer. <div><br></div><div>The Landseer's outside space is great and nice and peaceful. </div>
  • Not sure how that'll go down. Live music doesn't exactly fit with the current clientele. I quite like it as it is as a "quiet pint" kind of place. Dining room is definitely wasted though....
  • I would have thought the neighbours are the types to complain about live music, they were putting some swing type music on last summer on a Sunday then stopped, made me wonder about complaints actually.<br><br><span style="font-size: 13.3333px;">@djmattyoung<;/span> Do you know which pub it is in Barnsbury?<div><br></div><div><br></div><div>I have managed to catch the sun last knockings outside the Worlds End as well, not many tables there though.</div>
  • edited May 2016
    @djmattyyoung<;div><br></div><div>Residents were concerned that the Landseer would be sold and possibly converted into flats, but it looks it's just changing hands.  I agree that the outside space is lovely.  I have also found staff to be nice and helpful.</div><div>Years ago they used to do barbecues in the summer and they were really popular.</div><div>Not keen on the food, but it's a great community hub!</div><div><br></div>
  • The WB Yeats is on the corner of my road, it's really good. The owner is lovely - also runs The Old Shillaleagh (have I spelled it properly?), and the staff are most helpful. They save interesting looking empty bottles for me - Kraken and suchlike. Never heard anyone complain about it. That pub has been on my route to the station for fifteen years and that's the best incarnation I've experienced.
  • The Landseer is quite good for sneaking a pint over the road to the park and taking the kids there to play on a sunny evening.<div><br><div><br></div></div>
  • @TheMimsy and the barbecues were of course put on by that man Remy again, shortly after my misses worked there. I would rather freeze my own glass and take something drinkable over the park.
  • edited May 2016
    @Papa L The park is a real assett and it's lovely. It used to be totally different before the residents pulled together and had it done up. The summer event is great fun. @HolbornFox Remy is a lovely guy and so is Nacho (who I think has gone back to Spain).
  • I used to live in house round the corner from that park ten or so years ago. The Landseer put outdoor cinema on in the summer, do they still do that?
  • The outdoor cinema hasn't run for ages...last time must have been 2008 or 2009.
  • edited May 2016
    @south_to_north I didn't ask about pub gardens but I do appreciate your concern
  • Whoops! May bad! Meant cityofsin
  • edited May 2016
    miss annie, thanks so much for your kind words - it means the world to us.<div><br></div><div>I hope it's ok to mention that our kitchen reopens this Sunday with a really talented new chef serving Sunday roasts from noon until 9pm. It would be great to see some of you for lunch or a Bank Holiday drink.</div><div><br></div>
  • This just in - I had an excellent Sunday roast at the N19 yesterday. I’m not a regular and I was pleasantly surprised - I thought the roast was great and excellent value at only £10, the beer good and the general ambience pleasant and relaxed. Open fire, not too crowded (despite Arsenal playing), friendly staff. Very good helping of lamb which was tender and lots of gravy. My dining companions were less happy about their chicken and there were allegations of warmed-over roast potatoes but I did not concur and you can’t please everybody. (Roastmoaners, the lot of them.) Perhaps the ale and hand pump selection was a bit too limited for some. Suited me fine though. Now seeking further Sunday roast joints, current recommendations?
  • I like the N19 (note no relation to me), great on summer afternoon/evenings as gets a lot of the sun.
  • @krappyrubsnif, I too am a seeker after the perfect Sunday roast! My top recommendation is Season - v. tasty, absolutely no danger of anything being warmed over, and can have their mini-doughnuts for pud. They do beer from Clapton Craft now as well. Queen's Head in CE is good but pretty pricey, & I was underwhelmed by the Shaftesbury when I went in Sept.
  • @vetski yes, but how much does Season sting you for Sunday roast? - I didn’t know it was open on a Sunday afternoon. I appreciate Neil runs an excellent ship but I’d have thought it was a special occasions only thing. Mind you, every Sunday lunch ought to be special.
  • Pricewise, I think Season is very reasonable, especially for the excellent quality - just looked at their website, which shows roast lamb at £13.95, roast chicken £12.50, nut roast £10. The White Lion has chicken at £13.50.
  • The Landseer pub, also in N19, has been apparently bought by the same people who own The Tufnell Park Tavern. It's currently closed. Not sure when the refurbishment will begin.
  • edited January 2017
    I cannot believe someone has not tapped into the potential of The Landseer before now, truly awful food, awful everything actually rescued by the sun trap.

If you get the chance go to a reggae roast in Camden, they do jerk roasts!

Also ate in the Champion in Notting Hill recently, some of the best food i have ever had in a pub and mains were a tenner, beer well kept too.

Closer to home, the Shaftesbury can be a bit sweet for my tastes with the red cabbage and all but its cheap for a massive plateful and there's certainly nothing wrong with it, prefer a thai curry personally.

I heard N19 can be a bit dry (again the pub food, not the op), although anything I've had has been good.

Hamlet do roasts!