Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters

Book group Weds 6th July - A Bend in the River by VS Naipaul

The next Stroud Green Book Group book will be '<span style="font-weight: bold;">A Bend in the River' by</span> <span style="font-weight: bold;">VS Naipaul</span>.<div><br></div><div>Coming in at number 90 in the <a href="https://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/jun/08/100-best-novels-bend-in-the-river-vs-naipaul-review">Guardian's 100 best novels</a>, this is apparently <span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: 'Guardian Text Egyptian Web', Georgia, serif; font-size: medium; line-height: 24px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">“a haunting creation, rich with incident and human bafflement, played out in an immense detail of landscape rendered with poignant brilliance” </span><span style="font-size: 13.3333330154419px;">but VS Naipaul has also attracted controversy and criticism for his alleged "</span><span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: 'Guardian Text Egyptian Web', Georgia, serif; font-size: medium; line-height: 24px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">reactionary artistic politics</span><span style="font-size: 13.3333330154419px;">"</span><span style="font-size: 13.3333330154419px;">. Judge for yourself!</span></div><div><div style="font-weight: normal;"><br></div><div>We will be meeting on <b>Wednesday 6th July</b> at <b>8pm</b> in the back room of the <b>Shaftesbury Tavern</b> (<u style="font-weight: normal;">not</u> the Stapleton).</div><div><br></div><div>New members always welcome - we should have the book out on the table so that you can spot us.</div><div><br></div><div>Hope to see you there!</div></div>

Comments

• I am excited to say that I have started the book and expect to have finished it in time for the meeting! However, book-finishing is not a prerequisite for book group attendance. Come along one and all!
  • Arg - what about not having read it at all? What with one thing and another I don't think I'm going to be able to do this one :(
  • @Luirette hope you can come anyway?! They are showing football at the Shaftesbury tonight in both the front and back rooms, so **I have reserved a table outside** at 8 o'clock. It looks like it will be dry and warm enough to sit out there!
  • Good thinking Sophie. I'll come by for a bit of not having read the book at all is not a prerequisite for coming! ;)