Considering moving in.

Hi Members,

I am likely to be moving into SG in the near future and was wondering what the area is like in terms of safety at night time and whether burglary is higher/lower than average.

I would be moving into a top floor flat in one of the houses in the stretch that is directly opposite Tesco with Osbourne Road being the closest side road to where I'd be living.

At present I'm living in Brimsdown in the borough of Enfield which is dismal in addition to being right out in zone 5.

I work in Angel Islington and visit my Mother quite often, who is in Muswell Hill and so I have been to SG a fair few times and was always under the impression that SG is pretty much on par with Crouch End though I have had others mention that the Finsbury park area itself is 'very rough' and gang problems were also mentioned which rather surprised me as it's not the impression I've got from the area in the past.

Would be great to hear from those actually living locally as to what the area is like.

If it helps, the postcode of where I would be moving to is: N4 3RZ

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• It's nice round here. Not quite as fancy as Crouch End (though we have a theatre and they don't), but I've never felt remotely threatened.
  • It's not quite as much fun as it used to be as a lot of the affordable, social places where you'd meet an interesting mix of local folk have gone now, but if you like delis, organic food and craft beer you'll be in heaven. It's pretty safe, I am a woman and walk home from the tube quite late at night without fearing for my safety. Wouldn't walk in the park, or any park, after dark though.There have been a small number stabbings - gang related I believe. Unless you are a member of a gang you are extremely unlikely to be involved in this. If you are in a top floor flat on that stretch you'll be on something like the fifth floor so wouldn't be afraid of leaving your windows open! I don't have a car, if you do you'll spend a lot of time moaning about parking, traffic and roads being closed. If you need a cleaner. nanny or tradesperson you'll be right at home here - use the search bar up there on the right. It is not like Crouch End, and that is a good thing. In five years it will be. You'll be on Haringey side - good luck with one of London's most useless councils.
  • I love it. I used to live in Crouch End and found Stroud Green just that notch less smug when I moved here, which suited me - and it's much handier for transport. There are loads of good places to eat etc - Time Out did a gushing spread a couple of weeks ago that wasn't far off the mark. I have a young family at local nurseries/primary school and never feel unsafe, though there's the odd unsavoury character sometimes hanging around (less so since they closed the facility on Ashley Road imo). In no sense is it "very rough". I had a friend who lived in your block who is the poshest man I know (and now a trained priest, which is why he moved) and he loved it there. The closer you get to the Crouch End side the more it feels similar, but best thing is that you're walking distance from Crouch End if you fancy what it has to offer, but also Green Lanes and Stroud Green Road for a bit more variety, so you don't have that cooped up feeling. The park is a fantastic facility. I nearly moved to Archway once, but it was the park that stopped me signing on the dotted line, and I am so glad. Bit unfair re Haringey council. Their council tax folk are a bit rubbish. I've just had dealings with planning and building control, bulky rubbish collection, parking and school admissions, all of which went very smoothly. They are skint, so have just closed down all the children's centres and Rainbow nursery, but you don't mention having children so don't know if that would bother you.
  • edited August 2016
    Agree with @missannie "It is not like Crouch End, and that is a good thing." I like it here, it is a really good mix, a bit of everything to please everyone. In term of crime, I feel quite safe here, to me it looks the same as any other area in central London. Not more, not less.
  • I've lived here for over a decade and it is by far and away the best place in London to live, so with a slight leap of logic it's therefore perhaps the best place to live in any of the world's major cities. A proper high street, lots of independent shops and restaurants with great folk working there, good friendly people, lots of good parks and green space within an easy walk, the joy of the Parkland Walk, good schools, on the doorstep of central London and a hop from the faux countryside of Hampstead Heath and Highgate Woods, a trainline that takes you out to the proper countryside in less than half an hour. It's chilled, yet busy enough and if you want more excitement, central London is ten to 15 minutes away. And while it's got gentrified and become more expensive, it is still cheaper had has a lot more like in it that our neighbouring posher areas. I hope you like it.
  • Finsbury Park's alright. Which makes it pretty good. It looks a bit rough on the outside which keeps it genuine. Not so flashy but scratch the surface a little and there is some really good amenities that makes it a good place to live - if you want to live in London. I've always found it is as safe as anywhere in Zone 2 in London.The park is great. So is the Theatre. Stroud Green Fruit and Veg is a personal fav. I also think the restaurants and pubs are better than Crouch End but I've never actually lived there so can't say for sure.
  • I was talking about this recently with someone who has lived in Japan Crescent since 1972. Don't listen to know-nothings who claim it is a dodgy area and taxi drivers won't come here after midnight. That's all rubbish and is a hangover from a time in the 1960s-70s when Seven Sisters Road was famously rough. This is Stroud Green and this is today.

The area is as safe as any other part of North London and perhaps more so, and a lot more fun to live in than most. There isn't a street violence or particular gang problem (unless you are a teenager doing drugs perhaps) very mixed, now quite lively, not too gentrified - yet. We'll see.