Scruffy Stroud Green

2»

Comments

• Is Islington actually finally repairing the pavement between the Nandos crossroads and Tesco? Also, what's going on with that run of shut shops?
  • The shut shops? Oh, that'll be the gentrification everyone is worried about
  • @miss annie not yet. Thanks for showing interest. I have got some pictures that i will collate and send them as attachment to the complaint.
    Hopefully someone will at least give an appropriate reason / comment on the situation
  • It's almost like there's been funding cuts or something. I'm making a hobby of picking up litter.
  • edited September 2016
    I prefer licking pitta.
  • I think something is going wrong with the street sweeping from Islington. At first I thought it might be as simple as cuts meaning less frequent street sweeping, but when I took up a few particularly bad stretches with the council it turned out the sweeping schedule was still very regular. So looks to me like a problem with quality of the cleaning being done, especially as for what is now a good couple of weeks since, the stretches I raised (up in the wilderness beyond Five Ways) have been consistently much better. Fingers crossed...
  • I have used the Clean Islington app twice this week to report fly tipping in N19 https://www.islington.gov.uk/rubbish-recycling/street-cleansing and within 24 hours someone had cleaned it up. Worth a go. I know it's a bit reactive but with enough data about the fly tipping hotspots maybe it can be combined with attempts to nab the perpetrators !
  • Islington council's failure to keep Stroud Green as well maintained as posh Islington has meant it's looked scruffy for the more than a decade I've lived here - long before those cuts.
  • edited September 2016
    @ Mattrobinson i am in N19 too and use the app at least 3 times a week. It works but it''s a very reactive way of dealing with the problem as the fly tipping spots are always the same and clearly people keep dumping stuff time and time again with no sanctions.
    There are some dumped shrubs in Stanley Terrace near the Landseer pub which have been there for weeks and still have not been picked up despite reporting them. Likewise, the bin at the corner of Alexander and Cornwallis Road, outside the Shaw Court flats is a perennial disgrace. ..
  • Just witnessed a disturbing scene under Finsbury Park Bridge A man started playing the Saxophone and a beggar woman got up and threw a can at him, insulting him and having a massive row at the guy, just while i was walking past. Not to mention 4 mattresses on SGR (just deposited by a smiling guy living in the pink house near Fabrica) and some good rubbish everywhere :-) Well...the violent scene was quite bad and non-sense, and another reason why i will never give anyone to these guys asking for money, but just through charities. Anyone has heard anything from the councils? Haringey hasn't replied to me, has anyone written to Islington?
  • edited October 2016
    Finsbury Park Station and Stroud Green Road seem to become the go-to destination for peripatetic beggars (although there are few rough sleepers amongst them). The ungated route out of the station probably contributes significantly. The beggar I saw today on the Victoria line wanted money for food and to get into a hostel. I later saw him walking up SGR, through the bus station and straight into into William Hill. At least it wasn't going on drugs, fags or booze :/