Drivers barging through one-way system under bridge

I’ve noticed that loads of drivers are now ignoring the one way system and the No Entry signs under the FP station bridge at the bottom of SGR, trying to barge through to get down to Seven Sisters Road. Do we think it’s alright? I don’t, because several times I’ve seen so many drivers trying to make this illegal short cut they’ve actually blocked the road in all directions, traffic unable to get out from under the bridge, nobody able to turn, and buses blocked in. Total chaos. A case for temporary cameras, Inspector?

Comments

• I'd love cameras up and some fines being imposed. It's incredibly dangerous, particularly as when the pavements get busy people are walking on the road but not thinking to look behind for someone plowing through at speed in the hope of not getting caught
  • I have seen it too, and honestly i couldn't believe my eyes as people were driving fast under the bridge illegally. I am sure something can be done to prevent that, and maybe even better would be to close SGR completely. It would be much safer for all the pedestrians as it's becoming quite dangerous to cross the road now. Time for action
  • Whatever media follows this board? Islington Journal DEATH TRAP DRIVERS FLOUT ROAD CLOSURE?
  • Do our local Police not monitor this web site, they used to. Please speak up
  • You can ask the police, they're persecuting drivers at the bottom of the Cally today, i guess bailiffs pay more then the council.
  • Easy to install cameras and monitor what is happening. Or at least to have some sort of deterrent. Like enforcing 20 Miles p/h rule. That would definitely make the council some good money!
  • You wish to be filmed more?
  • I don't think that's the point. Yes there are too many cameras, but this would be useful as it will raise some money and also make the overall messy part of Finsbury Park safer. Speed cameras are not the same thing as security cameras. I guess that if people don't want to respect the law, the enforcement through technology is the best deterrent.
  • It is not speed camera's that you are referring to though.

I HAVE to use my car for work, to have someone actively setting traps (i refer to certain circumstances) simply to fine you over an average days wages is not my idea of a fair society.
  • But if you don't break laws what is the problem?
  • I don't break laws, i said that setting traps to drag money from drivers is not my idea of a fair society.
  • But if people will not care too much about limits and other changes, then that it's the only way to enforce a good behaviour. They are not traps. if the limit is 20 mph , then people shouldn't drive faster. If it's one way...don't drive there.
  • I am referring to the sort of traps where lights / boxes are obscured and people inadvertently pull into them.
  • There are a few of these "traps" on the Islington side so fair enough
  • grennersgrenners Ferme Park Road, N4
    I've been caught in all the Islington traps. I now know where they are so I am prepared. My favourite is a junction on Holloway Road where there is a yellow box and when the lights turn green and you turn left you are suddenly faced with another set of lights which you were unable to see originally. If there are more than two cars in front of you then you are in a yellow box. If that lasts more than 30 seconds you are down by £60. The only way out can be an illegal and erratic manoeuvre which may also result in a fine providing everyone is not bumper to bumper so unable go anywhere.
  • The blanket 20mph rule is just plain daft. The councils are doing it for vanity projects and to raise money as they can now run their own speed cameras. I am all for 20mph outside schools etc. and maybe even in narrow residential roads, or between certain hours, but on bigger roads it's not needed. Driving down an empty Hornsey Road at 7am on a Sunday at 20mph is ridiculous.
    Usually easy to see the road markings for the camera and then slam the breaks.
  • It sounds like it might be quite relaxing going at 20 at 7am on a Sunday morning ! I think it is a safety case not a revenue raising one for Islington as I think it is only the Police that can fine hence it is not policed as there are not many of them around. A read that the average speed in Islington is still at 28mph so to get it down to nearer 20 they should probably go for 15mph. Also I have just seen the rather unpleasant Transport Secretary has been filmed opening his car door on a cyclist and knocking him off. Got out the car said sorry then drove off with out leaving his details which I think is illegal. https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/dec/16/chris-grayling-could-face-private-prosecution-for-dooring-cyclist If true he will have to resign which would be no bad thing after his slagging off of cyclists in the ES this week and the other nasty stuff. He has record of that at Justice as well. He should resign now.
  • Wow a tory and a car driver... enfant terrible, i bet he voted brexit as well.
    If you cycle down the inside of stationary traffic this sort of thing happens. My friend got out of a black cab and the cyclist hit him and it was my friend who ended up in hospital. His driver should have indicated left and moved to the kerb then it would have been obvious. Maybe Mr Grayling can blame his driver or possibly the labour party for not investing in cycling. I have been cycling around central London for years and I am sick of people agressively cycling around in bright yellow thinking the world owes them a favour especially those morons with cameras on their heads who seem to look for trouble. Cycling slowly is a good idea.
  • Grayling should have had the decency of leaving his details and waiting a bit longer than a minute and a half. Common courtesy ...
  • edited December 2016
    I had no car and cycled for just over 14 months and yes other cyclists really are the complete problem.

I saw so many close shaves and was constantly being put in danger myself by the special ones.

Mind you cycling at 09.00 and 15.30 is also not advisable.
  • Apparently there's some mentalist who cycles around Soho, films people and edits the footage before putting it on YouTube, i am sure he got an asbo in the end!
    Grayling is a tory politician who would have been very worried who would photograph him standing next to his victim. I'm not surprised he did a runner. However, the article does say the victim shook his hand which would imply the situation is over. He may have been dazed but I think a punch would have been more appropriate.
  • it is not a criminal offence to leave the scene if an accident without providing hius details a short stretch in one of the prisons he used to run might be educational The super cycle high ways are great!
    Maybe it's a good thing as he might see that cyclists need a bit of support.....he previously criticised cycle lanes I understand. Bring on the superhighways........need to make London into a huge Amsterdam or Copenhagen it's mainly flat so should really be a cyclists paradise.
  • Cyclists paradise : the dream. Go Sadiq! Make it happen!
    I would trust Boris to do a better job than Sadiq. But yes hopefully he will make it happen, or at least take the credit for what is already planned....
  • Sadiq: said he would help Londonnightlife and Fabric did indeed stay open.

I'm keeping the faith that he will do good things.