Haringey selling off public property - largest proposed sell off of council owned property in the UK

From http://michaelrosenblog.blogspot.co.uk/ Folks in Tottenham/Haringey - There is a protest on Tuesday night Jan 17th at the Haringey Civic Centre 6-7 before the meeting of the scrutiny committee. This is against the largest proposed sell off of council owned property in the UK - in the region of over 2 Billion Pounds. If approved it will include the sale of Northumberland Park estate, Broadwater farm estate - with thousands and thousands of families affected. They will be, in the councils terms, "decanted" meaning they will be forced to leave and their homes will be demolished - we have no idea where they will be decanted to, no idea when or if they can return and no idea of the terms for rent when and if they return. This sell off includes, school lands, it includes health centres, a library, commercial properties. This is not only the biggest sell off of council land in London, it will be the biggest in the UK. I urge anyone who can attend to please get out to this demo - we need to keep the pressure on. This is the social and ethnic cleansing of Tottenham. It must be stopped dead. Stop the Haringey Development Vehicle - protest at Haringey Civic Centre, Wood Green High Road, 6.00pm Tuesday 17th January.

Comments

• This is being done to coincide with the new ground being built by Spurs, will change the whole face of North London.
  • The BWF has a very close knit community and a fantastic children centre and primary school. I would be very surprised by any lack of opposition to the proposal.
  • People need to go to these meetings if they care - so often they don't because they think so many others will and no opposition is registered.
  • Did they save the community centre fairly recently? Seem to remember seeing something about it.
  • @miss annie - I am astonished you are against it. This was a core Tory party promise from Jan last year to break down these large sink estates.". I am sure the property developers will be licking their lips over this. Survival of the richest. If you cant afford to live in London then why should you?
  • grennersgrenners Ferme Park Road, N4
    Is it as simple as they are selling off estates in their entirety? Isn't it a good thing some of these estates are redesigned and will they have to build some of the houses for council tenants? I can't see how they would do that without unlocking some value from the existing property and involving a developer. It depends how many flats are put back in their place and what effect it would have on the positive aspects of the community. I think we need to aim high and provide decent houses that are not in an impenetrable dark fortress.
  • MimsyMimsy Stroud Green
    edited January 2017
    Hardly surprising. The Council is so far in the hole it needs to do something, anything to pay their extravagant ( 7% per annum adjusted in a zero % interest rate environment) pensions. You don't really think these people care about anyone other than themselves, do you?
  • grennersgrenners Ferme Park Road, N4
    The property department worries me a lot. The Crouch end town hall debacle. Even the cafe on the corner former Spiazzo deli is still empty and it's a prime unit. Only complete incompetence could result in a property which should let itself still remaining vacant.
    ...maybe the property market has turned...completions are off 40% year on year... after sterling has been crushed. Is the market implosion finally with us? Well, its been more or less up for 50 years... ..all parties have to end some time.
  • Mimsy you could be correct as Mrs T Maybe accelerated the decline of the UK this morning.
    .... yeah, but that's just popping a bubble 45 years in the making. Like the debt situation. And remaining in the EU won't change the economic fundamentals. Neither will leaving the EU. The fact is simply that the UK is in debt up to its eyeballs...(more than any other western nation) and that situation has been allowed to go on for decades. But eventually, the piper gets paid. Probably in the next few years... and it will be ugly. Whoever is in power when 'it' happens, will get all the blame... and Blair/Brown/Cameron will all be forgotten.