Network Rail unnerving plans for works along Gospel Oak - Barking line

Comments

• edited December 2017
  • I've had a dig around the Islington Planning Portal, Network Rail and Murphy's (the building contractor) web sites and I can find no indication of how long the bridge is likely to out during these works. Previous experience tells me it'll be at least 2 (more likely 3) months. It'll play havoc with the local traffic flow.
  • I think you are closer to the truth Poxy - if they are going to lift the bridge by 300mm it will be a drawn out affair. I am assuming they could do it one lane at a time but probably it is a full closure (keeping a pedestrian path open to allow access to he station). which will not be good for local shops along Crouch Hill albeit most locals will know how to use the neighbouring rod bridges to get around the blockage.
  • edited December 2017
  • For anyone that is interested a driver on the weekend has posted a video of his test run on the goblin line from Gospel Oak to Barking
  • edited December 2017
  • @gardener-joe Yes looks like lots of work to do
  • @maclondon The structural drawings (on the Islington planning portal) appear to show the bridge deck as a single slab with integral parapets. Lifting that lot will most likely have to be done in a single operation. The design of the new concrete and steel bearings corroborates this.

So, it looks like the bridge works are going to mean a total closure of the railway line and the road (inc. pedestrians?) above.

Network Rail are being very coy about planning details on Twitter.

The bridge being raised by 300mm means that the road has to be regraded over a 150m stretch. In turn, this means the road will be higher than the pavement in places. There are two places where vehicles cross the pavement: Lightfoot Windows and the car park opposite. These will have to be rebuilt.

This is an almighty clusterfuck on the part of Network Rail.

But, the new Crouch Hill ski-jump will be great fun when it snows.
  • I received an e-mail back from Network Rail: Thank you for contacting Network Rail in regards to your information request. We have submitted an application with the Council for a road closure to take place for the works for the Crouch Hill Bridge to be finished. We have not hear back from the Council therefore we are unclear when the works will take place. However we will be in touch as soon as we have this information. Regards Community Relations Team Network Rail
  • It will not be easy - poxy you are right that is the most likely construction approach - I was just referring to whether they will retain some pedestrian access for most of the period the vehicle bridge is being lifted. I think the one lift may be a long weekend but as with Holloway Road bridge the actual closure period will be long to prepare for the lift.
  • Hello, I have just found this thread and was wondering if anyone has the same problem as me? I live along the line, and without my knowledge Network Rail fitted the galvanised fencing all along the length of my garden. If that wasn't bad enough they did not remove the old chain link fencing that was there initially.
    I now have two fences running the length of my garden about 40cm apart. I have rang them asking them to remove the old fence, and then to complain and they do not call be back and just post something on the portal they have set up confirming they will not remove the old fence for structural reasons, which is absurd. Does anyone else have the same problem, or any ideas to get them to remove the chainlink fence? Thanks
  • edited December 2017
  • It is probably a bit late now that the fencing was installed but NR should of informed you in advance last Autumn. The residents in our road complained and they installed green chain link fencing instead which was better all round. Suggest you drop NR an email - see earlier in the chain and you will see some addresses.
  • They installed the palisade fence on their side of the chainlink fence. I have been ringing them (call centre) asking why they didn't remove the chain link fence when installing it and seem to be getting nowhere. The last response I had through their portal (they never ring me back) is this:
    I have reviewed your original complaint and have spoken with the project team who carried out the work and can confirm the following.
    Network Rail has a legal obligation to mark out the boundary between the railway and 3rd party land. Prior to the installation of the electrical over head power lines the chain link fence was sufficient to meet this requirement. As a result of the electrification on the railway that runs past your property, we were required to install the palisade fence for safety reasons. This is the standard required where there are electrical over head power lines. Furthermore, the project team felt that the removal of the chain linked fence could risk the stability of the the embankment.
    If you feel that the work that was carried out has damaged your property in anyway, please submit a claim for damages to our claims department. I have attached the necessary forms for you to complete should you wish to do so.
    I appreciate the response is offers little difference to our previous response.
    However, I hope that you can appreciate our legal position and the concerns of the stability of the embankment.
    If you are still not satisfied with our response you can alternatively contact the Office of Rail & Road (ORR). Their details can be found via the link below:

http://orr.gov.uk/contact-us

Their reason regarding stability of the embankment is nonsense and is an excuse for their idleness in not removing it. I can show some photos to see why I am not happy
  • Sounds like, given time and a bit of effort, you could gain yourself some extra garden.
  • edited April 2017
    I'd be tempted to seed a hedge between the two fencelines. Over time it will envelope them both, and look nice too.
  • I'll post some pictures when I get home. Hedges has been condsidered, but until we get rid of the Knotweed they have allowed to start growing into our garden there is no point in planting or building anything at the moment.
  • We're down at the Londis end of Ferme Park Road. Our house used to really wobble when heavy trains passed. It doesn't any more. Does anybody me know whether that's because they've fixed something or they're just not running freight yet?
  • I have a couple of images to show but cannot seem to upload them. How do we upload photos?
  • You need to upload to Photobucket, Instagram or similar and post a link. I suspect Instagram is best these days as they show properly on the forum.
  • Odd Stewart - as part of the works they renewed the tracks and relaid the tracks under the ferme park road tunnel. This has significantly reduced the instability and therefore both noise and movement levels have reduced. The freight trains are running again including those in the middle of the night so you are seeing a betterment which makes a change!
  • That's great news thanks for letting me know.
  • Hopefully these images will show why I am not happy with Network Rail and why I want them to remove the chain link fence.

http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/mightywhites29111971/slideshow/
  • edited December 2017
  • MOTMOT
    edited April 2017
    Does anyone have any opinion or guidance as to what I can do next?
  • Page 41 of today's Guardian article about the great electrical modernisation cock up including the Gospel Oak line.
  • edited December 2017
  • Hello, I've been reading through your comments and there is some great local knowledge, so thought I would ask... I am considering a buying a property that backs onto the railway line just by Crouch Hill station, do you have any words of wisdom about what it is like to live by this railway line in light of the rail works?
  • edited January 2018
  • @gardener-joe That's harsh! Are you looking to prevent a bidding war on a property that backs onto the railway line just by Crouch Hill station?