What is the point of the British Transport Police!

2»

Comments

• Most of these things are not that difficult to find out with a bit of googling. From TFL website:

Loading and unloading
    Loading and unloading is the continuous movement
    of goods to and from a premises. This includes the
    time taken to check the goods delivered and carry
    out any essential paperwork associated with the
    delivery, such as gaining the customer’s signature.
    Once the delivery process is complete you
    must move the vehicle straight away, even if it is
    within the maximum period allowed for loading
    and unloading.
    The time allowed for loading and unloading varies
    across the Capital, but is typically either 20 minutes
    or 40 minutes; on red routes a period of up to
    20 minutes is usually observed. Always check
    the signs.
    A penalty charge may be issued if it is not clear
    that loading/unloading activities are taking place.
  • grennersgrenners Ferme Park Road, N4
    Coffee loading? Clearly was loading coffee as evidenced by my full cup.
  • What about unloading after your coffee kicks in?
  • The problem is that people perceive the parking system and the traffic wardens who have taken a job as the face of it as over zealous and aimed at revenue raising not helping local residents and businesses.

A great deal of this problem could be solved with as system such as 15 minutes free parking in any pay and display and residents bay.

That gives people time to get someone in or out of a house, buy a ticket, get change, nip into the shop to collect something... even get their coffee.

It also means less cars driving around and polluting, either looking for a space or driving about while waiting for someone doing one of the above.

After the 15 minutes you get a ticket.

There's a couple of ways of doing this.

Traffic wardens would need to observe a vehicle and then come back to it 15 minutes later (not really a massive ask and entirely workable).

You get a little clock timer board that you display on the windscreen showing when you parked.

Little machines issue free tickets with time printed on them.

All of it is open to abuse, but arguably what we have at the moment is councils, traffic wardens and above all the private sector (which runs all this parking shenanigans under contract) abusing the system for profit by removing the use of common sense.

That lack of common sense is obvious as almost everyone has a 'I turned round, went to get change, picked my kid up ticket' story - and almost all small businesses moan about parking.

That lack of common sense does nothing to help the system, which with the contempt people hold for it in and anger they have, is clearly busted.

We could do something about it, or we could just continue to let it be as crap as it is now.
  • There's information on loading restrictions & signs here: http://www.trafficsignsandmeanings.co.uk/what-are-different-types-loading-restrictions.html.

The most annoying ticket I ever got was in Islington. I pulled into a shared-use red-route bay to read the sign, realised I couldn't park in it, and drove forward into the next bay, where I could legally park. But I got ticketed just for driving into the wrong bay, even though I didn't get out of the car or even switch off the engine!
    But that would mean a loss of revenue for our councils and profit for the outsourced companies so will be a political hurdle I don't know how common sense was lost so badly. Seems I may habe been within the law to stop in the loading bay. Everyone assumed I was in the wrong and horribly abused me. I feel very sad now and I'm nearly in tears.
  • You do actually get a grace period, though it's not 15 mins. Wardens have to observe your car for a period (I think 5 mins) before they can issue a ticket
  • Oh except on red routes. Now those signs are confusing
    On that note I will keep on parking where I like for 5 mins providing it's not obstructive and running the gauntlet. I could write to the council but I don't want the upset of a stock response. I'd rather save my political time for bothering my MP about international conflict or brexit, and suffering a stick response.
  • The wilful ignorance of people and businesses' strong feelings over the parking system by councils, who continue to become even more zealous in their approach, is somewhat symptomatic of the local authority bureaucrats' approach to modern life.

But they know what's good for us, so don't complain.
    .....sounds like the EU....