This election thingy

Can someone who is a bit more knowledgeable about local politics give any insight into what's expected to happen in our constituency? (H&WG for me)

Is it a straight labour/lib dem fight? Is it even likely to be close?

Comments

• grennersgrenners Ferme Park Road, N4
    Wikipedia the constituency and you can see the historic results of the elections and can see that it's a lib dem vs labour fight. Not sure if lib Dems will make a come back though.
  • I guess you're on the Haringey side then, because over here in Islington North we know exactly what's going to happen
  • edited May 2017
    I'm not a local politics expert by any means, and in fact live in that other SG constituency which is, er, rather less competitive, but I think it may depend on the way the election campaigning will be heading. H&WG is only the 41st Lib Dem target, which would suggest they'd need a national swing of upwards of 10% against Labour. Polling suggests that seems remote at the moment.

What might be a bigger cause of Lib Dem optimism is the fact that the constituency voted overwhelmingly remain in the Brexit referendum, so if the Lib Dems are able to turn the election into one where the main issue is Brexit (again, this is looking quite remote at the moment, though not for lack of trying on their part) they might overperform compared to their national swing.

For Anything But Tory voters, it's probably safe to vote for whoever you feel is best. In a dream world, of course, the winner would be the amazing Nimco Ali of the WEP for me...
  • edited December 2017
    Personally I can't vote for either party I really just don't want to bother. But I will even though it's a futile exercise.
  • You could always have a protest vote and vote for one of the smaller party's greens or women's equality. Supreme leader seems to be put unpleasant anti Corban adds targeted on Facebook. Supreme leader needs to be careful that she doesn't start sounding shrill
  • The Friends of Finsbury Park and SGRA have organised a

HUSTINGS

on

Monday, 29th May

7.30pm - 9.30pm

WHERE

Trinity Church Hall, Stapleton Hall Road, N4 4EL

All parties are represented.  Don't miss the opportunity to question the Candidates and hear them outline their policies.

THIS will be your only chance to see your Candidates together on the same platform in Stroud Green.

YOU can question them on their local policies and determine who deserves your vote!

Please circulate this to all your local contacts.

• Absolutely no point. Labour are burrowed down like ticks round here, it will take more than a General Election to move them.
    @miss annie I take it you are in North Islington.......the North London labour clique are now running the show so I'm sure they will do better than ever........I wonder if the real working class labour supporters in the regions will bother turning out for a IRA supporting, trident scrapping, pro mass immigration London type.........we will see. Unless you work for the public sector or claim benefits I cannot see why anyone would vote for them. Having said that I do think the idea of nationalising utilities and railways IMHO is great if it could work as not sure with what money these companies would be bought back. I think I might do go this hustings at least to see who it is we will end up with and how the lib Dems argue with labour.
    @Ali I am tempted to vote green actually due to their economic policy, I think it involves a 4 day week. That will sort everything out.
  • @grenners,
    I am in NI but as Haringey has been run by Labour since 1971 whatever H&WG do will almost certainly make very little difference. I won't be voting for Corbyn for all the reasons above and more.
    Might not make much difference to Haringey Council but isn't this about national issues and representation at Westminster.
  • Grenners. we would have to get productivity up to do that. We take 5 days to produce what takes France 4 days.
    I was being sarcastic.
  • Horsey was a seat held by the Tories​ onnce in the 1980s. He used to arrive from Westminster where he lived in his Roller. Not defending Parkland Walk from becoming a motorway properly did for him.

Grenners I some house missed your sarcasmism got no idea why?
  • edited May 2017
    @Ali I love that you always call it Horsey instead of Hornsey.
  • Did anyone make it to the hustings?
    Sadly I did not but two of my mates went. I did want to go but flew back from abroad yesterday and unestimates how tired we would be.
  • This is spreading like mad

I assumed Supreme Leader will not approve
  • edited December 2017
    Interesting website. I think I will have to form my own coalition following the results. One party did significantly better than the others but no majority.
  • edited June 2017
    First mention of the constituency in the Evening Standard today. So Nimco all the way, then? It'd be a fabulous upset.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/londoners-diary/londoners-diary-busy-nimco-ali-puts-a-first-lady-on-hold-a3555306.html
    Looks like a good option if you are sick of all the main parties. I didn't even realise she existed but then I do live in my own bubble.
  • Saw Eddie Izzard campaigning for Labour in Crouch End yesterday. Big rosette on and everything.
  • Noticed that the Supreme Leaders chin seems to go into "Thunderbirds puppet" mode when she has answer a difficult question
    Talk about being wooden. The choice is between a second​ rate PM who don't tell us what she will do against a third rate opposition leader who is made to look good because she is so bad. All very bad news for the future.
  • @Ali had you down as one of the Corbynista. If even a die hard like you thinks he's awful it is bad news.
  • edited June 2017
    @Ali Captain Ska are having a gig in Brixton on Wednesday. Hope it goes well.
  • We it is getting near:

Labour Majority over LibDems of 11,058 in Hornsey but 21,285 didn't vote last time
  • Come on everyone, get out to vote! If for no other reason than to fight the boundary changes.