[...]

Comments

• Within living memory the council used to serve warnings on people whose garden foliage obstructed the pavement. This happened to us. We cut it back.

I assume this social function has been pruned back and added to the bonfire of regulations created by our servile politicians (of every stripe) since 2009.
  • Sorry to 'politicise' front gardens, but there we are.
  • _Bee_Bee Stroud Green Road
    I'm happy you posted this @gardener-joe
    We have several vision-impaired residents in this neighbourhood and I have seen them quite shocked and frustrated by walking into overhanging vines when walking down the pavement. It seemed to me to be similar to waling into a large spiderweb, which I would hate.
  • edited June 2017
    Islington issues letters if your hedge is too overgrown and causes an obstruction on the pavement. As already pointed out, it can be a nuisance for visually impaired people and those on mobility scooters.
    Oh I didn't even notice krappy's clever pun. Really grew out of nowhere!
  • There are specific rules about the amount of overhang up to head height which were explained by a Council official my overgrown garden needed cutting back at the time I moved in. If you are concerned just report the problem using the Council app (Haringey and Islington both have them) and someone from the Council will contact the owner - better still if you know the owner speak directly.
  • I think that there was a bit of a debate with the council about the Elephant hedge but thankfully it has managed to stay in all its glory
  • As have the Steam Train hedge and the Whale hedge.
    I haven't seen the whale! Where's it at?
  • grennersgrenners Ferme Park Road, N4
    The elephant hedge does not look like an elephant. I only realised it was an elephant by spotting its tail.
  • It does! The on on Mount Pleasant Crescent?
  • Just passed The Steam Train on Perth Road. Lots of hedges on that street and there was a man cutting his privet, I suggested he do something different.

There is another elephant and a caterpillar (I think) on Victoria Rd.
  • No-one quite beats the Ambler Road heffalump hedge though

https://t.co/31bpRVFteO
  • The elephant on Mount Pleasant Crescent is ace.

I love them little cottages anyway.