Things to do with a five-year-old

Hi, I have a friend visiting for a day who wants to bring his five-year-old daughter, and I am a bit out of my depth as to where to take them. Ideally it would give us a chance to catch up, but it should also be fun for the daughter. Doesn't need to be in N4. Thanks!

Comments

• edited September 2017
    That new play-space conveniently close to OakN4.
  • edited September 2017
    if the weather is good any park, Finsbury, Clissold, Highbury and Islington.
    Ally Pally park and boat pond
    freightliner farm near highbury and islington or Kentish Town Farm
    Highgate Woods and play area
    Gillespie Park and Ecology Centre
    Little Angel Theatre
    Jackson Lane Theatre
    Cinema
    Swimming, Archway or further away is Finchley Lido (wave machine).
    Soft Play at Sobell Centre
    London Zoo
    Museums, London Transport, Natural History, Science, V&A Museum of Childhood etc...

There's an app called Hoop that finds things for kids in local area.
  • Good suggestions from Matt - Finsbury Park and Clissold Park are both good, as they have decent play areas for kids plus cafes for the grown-ups. Further afield you've also got Parliament Hill with cafes and extensive play area.

Freightliner Farm's a good suggestion but worth checking what the café opening hours are these days as I don't think it operates every day.

Another one slightly further field - Victoria Park - with a couple of nice cafes (including 1 next to a great adventure playground) - doable via public transport on the Overground from Crouch Hill changing at Gospel Oak (check its running though!).

Natural History and Science Museums are great, but be prepared for queues!
  • Here you go

https://www.freightlinersfarm.org.uk/strawbale-caf/

They grow most of vegies that are used so you cant get fresher.

Well worth a visit with the kids.

Make a small donation on the way out to help them out as money is always and issue.
  • Olympic Park is great. Overground to Hackney Wick, or you can drive as there are no permits on a Saturday. Acres and acres of cycling space, 2-3 playgrounds, the orbit, lots of cafes and of course the novelty of walking round famous landmarks all afternoon. Hackney Wick is really cool for food and drinks too, especially near the Copper Box entrance to the park on the canal. If West Ham are at home though......don't bother.
  • I would imagine the Wetland Centre at Manor House is great for kids. I haven't been yet but the counterpart in Barnes is lovely. They run lots of activities, too.
  • Some really great suggestions! I was thinking of Curve Garden East, but that's probably a bit too sit-downy, so thanks everyone!