Pro EU March 9th September. Don't forget, get out on the streets and march for the EU

Comments

• Grenners The 14billion (euros I assume) you quote is a little bit misleading. You need to look at the contribution profile across the budget period. Cameron again for Tory Party political reasons backend the UK contribution so we payed less when it was politically necessary for him at the start with us paying lots more at the end
    I think you will find it averages out at around 10b. The drop in the pound because of the Tories again must mean we are using more pounds to convert into Euro
  • grennersgrenners Ferme Park Road, N4
    @Ali I have just quoted BBC numbers. BBC are notoriously biased to remain. Anyway whether it's 14bn or 10bn it really is the same argument and all the other numbers in the table must be worked out on the same basis.

My major gripe is the political issue. People rightly criticise our political system in the UK. European federalists have long complained that the UK is holding them back. Well now they can take their foot off the break once we are gone. One size fits all Europe doesn't work with the British mind set. We are not in schengen or the euro. Europe needs to reform politically and democratically. I had hoped for more signs of this but it is run by fundamentalist federalists who's only solution to every problem is more Europe.

@Arkady yes if we want to export to Europe we will have to meet their standards. Any trade agreement is a loss of some sovereignty as there will have to be some kind of super national court to resolve disputes. There is no absolute sovereignty anymore with NATO and UN etc. The EU has just signed, or is about to, a free trade agreement with Japan. Surely that shows a UK deal is possible and it should be quicker to impliment than with Japan as we are already meeting the standards. That shouldn't stop us doing our own trade agreement with Japan or any other country and selling them things to our own standards or theirs. I cannot imagine why French, Italian or German industry which sell us more than we sell to them would not want some kind of agreement. It would be madness not to. Which brings me back to democracy as it seems to be that when an electorate votes one way or another depending on the outcome the EU seems to have a problem with that and it will do all it can to override that. Too many decisions are taken in Brussels which override national governments elected to fulfil their promises. As best we can we need to control our own destiny.
  • There is already a supranational court to resolves disputes it is called the ECJ !

The free trade agreement with the USA wanted a closed door set of lawyers to do that. The ECJ has been quite advantageous to the UK remember the ruling about clearing in Euros in London.

In trade agreements size matters which is why it is mad that we are leaving the most successful trading group on the planet and to probably result in trade barriers being put up. Complete madness justified on a tissue of lies from the likes of Boris and co.
    @Ali I think the ECJ rules on more than just trade agreements. There would have to be a special court with UK judges and EU judges to rule on a new UK EU trade arrangement.

Thanks for the guardian link. As I am sure you are aware there are articles saying the complete opposite.
  • @Grenners - you're right that there is no such thing as absolute sovereignty. If you recognise that (most Brexiters seem not to) then surely you also see that leaving the EU means we lose sovereignty, as we will no longer have influence over rules we will still have to follow.

You mention the EU-Japan treaty as a reason for hope that the UK will be able to have a similar treaty with Japan. The PM has also suggested this, noting that the EU treaty with Japan should be the model! If we're just photocopying EU treaties then what's the point of leaving those EU treaties?

You say that we will be able to have different standards while trading with other countries - this is the point that Brexiters keep missing. If we want barrier-free access to the Single Market then no, we cannot vary our standards as the EU will be concerned that lower-standard goods will make their way into the Single Market. They have insisted on this from the beginning, people need to stop ignoring it. It's why we have a customs unions - the Single Market is more than just a free trade area.

You also say that we buy more from the EU than they do from us. That's true (when you ignore services, anyway), but the UK is still a small fraction of their overall exports, whereas they are a very large percentage of ours. The German car manufacturers, which Brexiters have hilariously insisted will save the day against all evidence, have repeatedly insisted that the integrity of the Single Market is more important to them than the threat of barriers between them and the UK.

I don't think the democracy argument holds either. The EU is directed by the Council, which consists of representatives of the democratically elected Member States. Decisions need to be approved by the Parliament, which is directly elected. You seem to think that one country, Britain, should be able to override the pooled democratic sovereignty of 27 other countries. That isn't democracy, it's the opposite. Stop seeing things through a nationalist prism.
    @Arkady we will only have to follow trade rules as governed by a trade deal. We will not have to follow rules on employment law or human rights or the environment or immigration.

The point of leaving is so we can make as many decisions as possible for British people in Britain rather than some far away capital where 27 nations must agree.

Then we will leave the single market and re enter on certain terms for various sectors like Japan.

Yes we are a small part of European exports. But they have entered into an agreement with Ukraine and Japan which is even smaller.

The public are not engaged actively with politics in the EU it is far too remote and distant from the little people. It's an extra unesessary, beurocratic and costly layer. It needs to have it's powers seriously restricted and it's size shrunk. There is no need for it to do a great deal of what it does as that can be done by national or local governments. It seems to be an experiment in destroying the nation state democracies in some kind of bizarre assumption that if nationalist feeling is slowly wiped away there will be not be another world war two.

Arkady. It's bad enough having the morons in Westminster but as least we have some kind of say in kicking them out every now and again. How can I kick out Tusk or Juncker? Hardly anyone votes for their MEP or has a clue what the european parliament is dicussing because it is too remote. The more that the EU tenticles grasp little bits of the UK the less we as people will be able to have a fair say. Let's not be part of some evil empire.
  • AliAli
    edited September 2017
    Greeners
    Brussels is 200 miles from London so hardly far away.
    Your argument that people don’t vote in EU Parliament elections because it is all to far away is false if you look at the numbers. For the most recent elections:
    EU Parliament: EU average turnout 42% UK turnout at 35.6 %
    UK local elections average turnout 31% so this suggests that the converse to your argument is in fact what has happened.
    On the so called massively staffed EU it employs approximately 46k people working for 28 countries
    UK Civil servants number nearly 440k and council employees are approx. 1 million in number.
    It must be inherently more efficient to have one set of agreed rules across 28 than 28 different sets. You seem to imply that the UK has no say which again is nonsense as we are represented just like everybody else. I am not sure why you mention Junker, he was elected by political groupings in the parliament. Hague took the Tories out of the centre right group in the EU to a much more far right grouping to please the usual Tory right wingers. That completely lost Cameroons influence when the decision was made. The Tories have also consistently empty seated in EU institutions as well.
    One great thing with the EU is that it very difficult to lobby it in the way that happens in the UK. How many time has Murdoch come out of the back door of no 10 with a great big grin on his face. I see Leverson 2 will not take place because of this.
    It seems to be that your quite nostalgic to some sort of past that probably never existed
  • @ Grenners: "We will not have to follow rules on employment law or human rights or the environment or immigration." We will if we stay in the Single Market, and if we don't stay in the Single Market we'll have the very considerable difficulties outline above.

The rest of your post is still trapped by viewing everything through a nationalist framework. It wouldn't be democratic if the UK alone could get rid of Junker - only a majority of the Council (made up of reps of the democratically elected governments), with the approval of the democratically-elected European Parliament, has that power. The UK being able to depose Junker alone would be like Liverpool council being able to choose the UK Prime Minister over the objections of the rest of the country.

Today Barrett homes said they feared a skills shortage post Brexit and were looking at "alternative" sources of labour which included taking on apprentices and employing those who leave the armed forces! What kind of a society do you want to leave in @Ali one where companies do not have to spend money to train British people?
  • Barrett's have been doing this for ages, just look at their web site so this is nothing particularly new.

Skilled technical armed forces folks don't have much trouble getting jobs that pay considerably more in civvy street than when in service up to 42% more.

There are loads of issues with lots of ex services personnel and there are great charities that help.

Barrett's will cherry pick to avoid those issues as they will mainly be interested in the bottom line.

If you want to get an idea of these issues have look at this.

https://www.biglotteryfund.org.uk/-/media/Files/.../Foresight_report_9_veterans.pdf

There are round 1,000 ex service men sleeping rough and 2,500 end up in prison.

About 20,00 people leave service a year.

I don't think you should mix this up with Brexit and you should be asking the question What is the government is doing about this? , not much !

To get back on subject there will be massive issues making it more difficult for EU nationals coming here and working, you must have heard organisation after organisation saying this since the leaked Home Office papers.

• Grenners a question.

Are you happy for British citizens working in the EU to be subject to biometric screening and fingerprinting?
    If the EU or other countries choose to do that then that's their business and I would be happy with that as it's their choice. I have been subject to biometric etc in Hong Kong and my wife (not from EU) has been subject to the same here.
    I think that statement from Barrett clearly shows that companies favour brining in cheap skilled Labour to under cut British workers and to avoid costly training of domestic workers. This is one reason why Labour voters particularly in the regions voted brexit.
  • Polish minimum wage is just over 5K a year, so if they earn 25K here that is 5 times the amount and they can also learn English if working in public facing roles (I have no issue with this).

Firms (and homeowners) exploit this source of labour and then purport the myth that British workers are lazy and rip people off because they need to pay a mortgage or rent.

It is also easy to segregate the foreign workers this way and exploit them further.

-

Naturally the racism card is very handy to whip out when people state such disgusting facts.

• I think when you look at the facts that there has been very little under cutting of low pay rates in the UK. According to the OBR it is an impact of around 1% over 8 years.

The government (Mr D Green) has been trying to tell the "lie" again today.

This provides the background

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/impact-of-immigration-on-native-wages-infinitesimally-small-a7545196.html

This issue always goes back to the terrible productivity in the UK. France only has to work 4 days to produce the same that it takes the UK 5 days to do.

I guess when the shortages of employees start to bite that's might change as to stay in existence will mean automation so there will be less need for employees.

Also where is the export boom that Boris told us was an upside of the big devaluation of the £ due to Brexit.

• edited September 2017
    Nine suppressed Home Office studies showing no negative impact in wages caused by immigration. Nine. Countless academic studies doing the same. At most a slight impact on the very least skilled labour. Immigration contributes at least as much to demand as to supply. In the profession I understand best, 50% of annual registrations are from the EU. Still a 11% shortage of workers. Sector growing at 7%. Any restriction on immigration will choke off growth and reduce employment without impacting wages as margins are so low. To increase home-grown numbers the government will need to subsidise education and infrastructure at a colossal rate, costing vastly more money than now (and other professions will be competing to recruit from the same small pool of grads).

Amazing how the free marketeers are suddenly all for stopping the market from determining supply and demand. You want to bet the government will be more competent than the market at 'controlling' labour supply?

Germany and Scandinavia have vastly higher numbers of immigrant workers as a percentage of the workforce, without the stagnation in wages we've seen in the UK and America. That's due to our bad choices concerning our economic model and the weakness of the unions. But no no, easier to blame immigrants despite the total lack of evidence. Dreadful.
  • edited September 2017
    If the 'dreadful' comment is aimed at me then you should probably remember that i am not a brexiteer or a racist and actually spend a lot of time in Europe so i certainly do not hate 'them'.

I completely agree that our economic model, top up type benefits and the weakness (nay destruction) of the unions is the contributor but the exploitation of foreign labour is a tool that companies use, it is simple economics.

If it is not then why would they go to the expense of recruiting directly from abroad (English people must be lazy right)?

-

By the way when i worked on a building site (over 15 years ago) a large firm was paying English Carpenters X and Foreign Carpenters Y.

This is because the English Carpenters could not afford to live on Y so would not work for that rate.

How long do you think it took the firm to find enough people to not pay X?

Also i wonder how whoever does these studies puts price work, cash payments, tax avoidance etc into the equation.
  • Black economy has always exist a way before EU days
  • Your last para we can agree on to an extent, weak government enforcement is a huge problem. Again, better to adjust our economic model and enforce properly than to restrict free movement- restrictions that will hurt Brits too of course.

The dreadfulness is a general sentiment at the direction of travel. Brexit is a colossal.and costly mess with few benefits, which won't give us more sovereignty, and the problems that seem to have motivated the result - to the extent that they are real - could have been remedied by our own government without leaving.
  • edited September 2017
    Edit: @ali Why is that relevant?

All I am saying is i have seen firms exploit people first hand which a study says does not happen.

So according to the mainstream media i am lying, dreaming or something else?
  • I did not say i was against free movement or anything else.

I am simply pointing out an example of wages being eroded.

Anyway that's enough for me, I'm sure 15 links from the grauniad are heading my way.
  • @HolbornFox I'm more arguing against the zeitgeist rather than you in particular. Though again, your examples of wage erosion could be dealt with within the current system. And they also don't factor in the positive economic impact of the added demand created by immigration.

I do agree that the tendency of people to post links from within their own media bubble to support their arguments is unpersuasive.
  • edited September 2017
    *At risk of people actually agreeing on something*

Of course they could be sorted out within the current model... but they are not.

I have given a first hand experience of issues, so again i am either lying or that is what happened (wage reduction via exploitation), study or no study.

As for the positives of Polish immigration, i can now get Pierogi and Bigos in Green Lane and Tyskie in the Cart and Horses in Stratford, it don't come much more positive that that (for me anyway)!

• Ha.

Yeah, you're right they're not. Leaving the EU will make it even harder to remedy those problems - unless we go for the very softest of Brexits we'll have to deregulate further in an attempt secure trade deals on bad terms with bad countries. Inequality, wage growth, and standards will all have to take a hit.

By the way I'm not accusing you of lying - no-one disputes that there are individual examples of undercutting - as there has always been regardless of immigration (which is why trade union are useful). The point is that the evidence shows that this is a) balanced by the additional demand created by immigration and is therefore not the cause of wage stagnation overall and b) is not an inherent problem of immigration anyway if you have the right enforcement in place.
  • edited September 2017
    But try telling that to a bricklayer who has had his wages halved.

Or just go with the normal approach and call him a thick racist.

I think (even more) deregulation has been the ultimate aim for a very long time actually.
  • Interesting to see that Vince Cable has asked the Maybot to publish the evidence tat EU migrants are supressing pay.

She made that statement again the other day so she should publish the evidence.

The conversation about Brick Layer has made me notice bricks on the cycle home. I wonder how many billions there must be in London as they are absolutely everywhere and an awful lot of people must of laid them over the years.

• edited September 2017
    My friend used to sell bricks wholesale and earned a fortune.

A genuine question: Why has Vince Cable released this data now?

I know politics is probably about timing but it just genuinely seems a strange time to me if he knew this straight after the coalition ended \ when the vote was happening and is so pro-remain.